PDA

View Full Version : Breakdown cover

Conehead
21-10-12, 08:56 PM
I would urge all you to check yours.

I broke down in wales today doing Hoggin the Bridge and called 'First Call Breakdown and recovery'. They were to say the least CRAP. It appears that because I dont have a full service history on the bike it invalidates my policy. What a bunch of $%"*&% "&£%$^&£*". I explained I have only had the bike for a month and they said I should have got the full history from the previous owner. RUBBISH. Servicing the bike yourself is not valid so check your docs before you are in the same situation as me. Enough of the ranting as the ride before breaking down was absolutely awesome and the locals in the pub (after the breakdown whilst waiting for my wife to collect me) were a great lot too.

bobf279
21-10-12, 09:04 PM
how on earth did the subject of servicing come up during a breakdown call?

Afternote: Just checked them out on Review Centre lots of unhappy customers

Loops
21-10-12, 09:11 PM
I've heard of breakdown companies specifiying the vehicle must be roadworthy (i.e. MOT), but never that it has to have full service history! :-?

Wes
21-10-12, 09:19 PM
Thats a real shocker mate, what a bunch of tossers, ive got my breakdown cover included in my insurance policy, with carole nash, and it allows around 4 call outs per year, ive used it once, and there was no mention of service history, did you get the bike back home ok?

Swanny
21-10-12, 09:27 PM
Is this the one???
http://www.firstcallmotorbreakdown.co.uk/roadside_policy.cfm

3. The vehicle must be maintained at all times in a roadworthy condition in accordance with the law and be regularly serviced in accordance with your manufacturer’s recommendations.

Doesn't say anything about who services it.
I would demand a full refund

Col
21-10-12, 09:31 PM
Getting fussy are they ::)

Got AA ..non alcoholic variety ... been very good but have to get 'other' cover if abroad as the bike is sadly too old and they won't cover it

Ade
21-10-12, 09:35 PM
seems like the said company in the first post above seem only interested in taking peoples hard earned money and then not providing a service !!

Dabz
21-10-12, 09:52 PM
I've always stuck with the AA , RAC or green flag for breakdown - need to have faith in bein rescued :)

Ducatista
21-10-12, 10:02 PM
First call have a really bad reputation.

One company worth considering if you are prepared to "pay & claim" are AutoAid.
For £38 they will cover all your vehicles for you and your spouse.
http://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/
You have to pay & claim back but they have a good record anecdotally. The cover is platinum which means rescue, at home, recovery and onward travel.

Another option is Carole Nash who include European breakdown in their insurance policies. This is certainly good if you plan to go to Europ but may also be good just for UK use if their premium is good.
I have heard only good things about both their motorcycle insurance and their breakdown cover and that includes from people who have had breakdowns abroad.

Conehead
21-10-12, 10:05 PM
Swanny, I havent checked but that sounds like the bull they were giving me.

They called me back after they had confirmed someone would be with me within an hour to ask about the servicing aspect and it was here she cancelled the callout saying the above and the policy had been invalidated. Arses.

The bike is still in wales about 5 mins from Chepstow. A fellow biker was doing gardening when he saw me and after a chat he offered his garage for a few nights till I can hire a van and get to him. Will be collecting her on Tuesday.

bobf279
21-10-12, 10:06 PM
I've used GEM for a number of years, family policy covers individuals and not vehicles they even recover following an accident. Cashback available on the premium too from topcashback so it works out good value if you have a few vehicles. We did have 4 bikes and 2 cars and we have called them out a few times always prompt efficient service (they use local breakdown companies.)

Senna(Dan)
21-10-12, 10:38 PM
They have screwed you over royally there and it might be worth giving the old trading standards a ring to see what they say about it.

I had AA cover with the GS500 and they were brilliant when it wouldn't start. I stick with Green flag now because they cover all the vehicles and it is alot less than most companies.

Time for a change if company i believe mate as it doesn't specify that it has to be manufacturer warranty stamped.

Kevinb
22-10-12, 01:36 PM
I've always stuck with the AA , RAC or green flag for breakdown - need to have faith in bein rescued :)

Agree I've always had RAC but now changed to AA this year. stick with the larger well known companies

Col
22-10-12, 02:33 PM

Agree I've always had RAC but now changed to AA this year. stick with the larger well known companies

;D ;D You say that but .......once after getting a puncture in Ciren-got it plugged and being followed by AA van on way home for tyre to deflate again and not able to fix was then left out in the sticks after my location was sent by AA van man ..told I'd be recovered in an hour 8-)

Had no phone so waited and waited only for daughter to drive out to find me snoozing in the grass ...apparently my details had 'gone missing' so I could have been there for ever more ::)...after a call the AA eventually sent out another firm

so you can't absolutely guarantee that the better known firms are any better than others.

Seems to me they all work this breakdown business together anyway so even if you were with one a local garage could turn up.....makes sense though as plenty of vehicles and road miles to cover nationally

Jon_W
22-10-12, 02:42 PM
+1 for AA. Brilliant. They've recovered the Cub and recovered the Mini a fair few times.

Em uses RAC ans swears by them.

Gooz
22-10-12, 02:45 PM
its not a laughing matter, bike recovery on the whole is soo flakey to the point of being crap, recall your ride out to Poole last year September time, I caught you all up on my zx9 past shaftsbury where my head gasket blew, I peeled off at the side of the road and phoned carol Nash recovery, was part of my insurance, well 9 calls and 9 hours 2 tow trucks later, after you guys rode past laughing on the way HOME I was close to giving up hope, eventually my mate turned up in his van to bundle the bike in the back. After further complaints and follow up calls to let them know I'd recovered myself in the end all I got was a .......well we are glad your finally home unfortunately there are no recovery vehicles in your area equipped for bikes.

in essence feckin useless.

Splash
22-10-12, 02:57 PM
You really were SCREWED! I would really go and complain to Trading Standards!

Stay with the main recovery companies!

I use the RAC now, well it's provided by Honda for two years with a new bike so I'm stuck with it, not complaining!

Prior to that I used the AA who were also good!

;)

Col
22-10-12, 03:36 PM
@Gooz yeah about bike recovery....bizarrely I had another puncture in Westbury---I get punctures real easy :'(

---again plug and followed for tyre to deflate again ::)

..AA man reckoned their new vans would be kitted with a rig to transport bikes :) unfortunately for me I had to wait in the layby with the cafe on Melksham road which was closed :(

Loops
22-10-12, 06:00 PM
I'm another with the RAC - stuck with them as they cover me and all my vehicles, including the 26 year old CG for accidents and breakdowns :)

I did once complain (they took hours to recover me at 1am, even knowing I was a lone female stranded in the back-of-beyond) and I got an apology and gift vouchers to help make up for it.

redken1
22-10-12, 07:08 PM
What's breakdown cover? - I've got a Yammy :D :P :) ;)

Mitch9128
22-10-12, 07:26 PM
As i do most of my own maintenance, breakdown cover is essential, especially straight after buying a bike, and you're 'learning' the tank range :) Only ever used one of the big 3, why would you go elsewhere?

Rabb
22-10-12, 08:08 PM
I'm with " Bikesure breakdown - Adrian Flux "
Touch wood - Ive never had to use them - I'm pretty good at the maintenance side :-)

Conehead
22-10-12, 09:40 PM
Mitch9128, at the time I had no choice as money was and still is an issue, if it wasn't I would definately have gone for the AA, RAC or Greenflag. Anyway, lesson learnt and I will be making a formal complaint as I dont believe the problem has anything to do with maintenance but rather water in the fuel.

Caz
22-10-12, 09:44 PM
Having just used breakdown on Saturday :( I had a fantastic service from the RAC. They rang me back within 10 minutes to ask the problem and as he was only a patrol car said he would not waste my time by coming out to check over the bike but would arrange for a flat bed to come and recover us.

All done within 90 minutes :)

Dont know if it was anything to do with being a women on her own ;)

Gooz
22-10-12, 10:01 PM
Mitch9128, at the time I had no choice as money was and still is an issue, if it wasn't I would definately have gone for the AA, RAC or Greenflag. Anyway, lesson learnt and I will be making a formal complaint as I dont believe the problem has anything to do with maintenance but rather water in the fuel.
I'm spotting a pattern here ! Yours, mine and rabs, surely not, I know the weather's been ****e but to suck so much water up ??????

Caz
22-10-12, 10:09 PM
No the battery is not charging :-?

fd2526
22-10-12, 10:46 PM
I have RAC through My insurance, had nothing but trouble as they have never sent a van equipped for MC's :o even when I told them I needed recovery they sent a normal van, took me 5.5 hours to be recovered less than 2 miles a few months back >:( Have used http://www.sos-motorcycle-recovery.co.uk/ many times in the past and they were always great...

Rabb
22-10-12, 10:47 PM
I am certain that my recent problems are due to too much water in the fuel I bought at a particular petrol station - I am going to phone their head office Tomorrow.
If I speak to the station concerned I am sure that I will be told that it's not possible (and be fobbed off)

Update : I have just emailed their customer services and I await a reponse.

Mitch9128
23-10-12, 07:13 AM

There seems to be enough bad feedback on them, to warrant a Watchdog call.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/gotastory/

Swanny
23-10-12, 09:01 AM
I've never had break down cover for any of my vehicles :-/

Mitch9128
23-10-12, 09:24 AM
A couple of years back i caused several miles of tailbacks on the M4, i'd just got my 9r, and the range wasn't as good as the previous bike. I ran out of fuel 300 yards short of Membury, in the 2 lane contraflow,they had to shut the whole contraflow for 20 mins whilst i was recovered onto the truck, oh the shame :D

Conehead
24-02-13, 11:37 PM
UPDATE:

4 months of arguements, letters back and forth and threats of further action with Trading Standards. The company have now agreed that the liability is theirs to bear and they will be paying my claim. The only fight now is how much. I am sending all of the receipts I kept for the van hire, fuel, tolls, etc and will be sending them off in the morning for them to calculate a compensation amount.

I hope this thread has made people think about their policies and that they must not give up on the fight.

Thanks for all the previous positive comments and I can guarantee you that I wont be using this company ever again. I would rather spend the extra and go with Greenflag.

QB1
25-02-13, 07:54 AM
UPDATE:

4 months of arguements, letters back and forth and threats of further action with Trading Standards. The company have now agreed that the liability is theirs to bear and they will be paying my claim. The only fight now is how much. I am sending all of the receipts I kept for the van hire, fuel, tolls, etc and will be sending them off in the morning for them to calculate a compensation amount.

I hope this thread has made people think about their policies and that they must not give up on the fight.

Thanks for all the previous positive comments and I can guarantee you that I wont be using this company ever again. I would rather spend the extra and go with Greenflag.

I'd calculate your own claim, including the cost of your time, itemise it and bill them. I wouldn't let them calculate it for you.

Glad it's got a good ending for you. :)

Ducatista
25-02-13, 02:22 PM
Had good service from Carole Nash/AA recently when I had to be recovered after punctures.

Carole Nash insurance includes European breakdown so worth considering if you are planning on going to Europe as it's a very cost effective way of doing it.

Jed
25-02-13, 04:41 PM
Despite the bad experience for Gooz above; I recommend Carole Nash, they were very helpful when I unexpectedly needed to buy a tyre in France. They were completely unfazed when I asked if there was an age limit as the ZZR was 15 years old at the time of taking the policy. In fact they simplydismissed the age issue reminding me that their business was based on insuring classic vehicles. And of course best of all it's included in the insurance premium, which for me has always been competitive.

Swanny
25-02-13, 06:50 PM
nice one Coney [smiley=thumbup.gif]

RedSoul
25-02-13, 07:18 PM
I have been searching for decent European breakdown cover and it has been a nightmare reading all the small print from various companies.
Surprised at all the positive comments about the AA because general consences is to avoid them like the plague and after chatting to one of their operators yesterday I have to agree.
Thing with breakdown cover is their are a lot of eventualities that you are not covered for like bike vandalised and not rideable,taken ill on trip,injury so not able to continue to ride.Most breakdown covers are just that,breakdown only and no your travel insurance probably won't get your bike repatriated.
In the end I found a company called startrescue.co.uk that covers all the above and nearly forgot,also covers travelling into places like Croatia,Slovenia,Bosnia which again a lot of companies don't.