PDA

View Full Version : Where's the best place to live in Wiltshire?

LDS
04-03-13, 08:16 PM
I joined the forum today. Moving to Wiltshire from Hants in the next couple of months. So, where's the best place to live in Wiltshire? 8-)

Stew

Rabb
04-03-13, 08:33 PM
Hi,
My first thought was Cornwall!

Depends what you want ?
Village life
Cosmopolitan town or city
It's a case of horses for courses
If you specify one of the above I can reccommend some great places.

Nelly
04-03-13, 08:47 PM
If i didnt live in Chippenham, i think i would plump for Marlborough. Love that place :)

redken1
04-03-13, 08:52 PM
If i didnt live in Chippenham, i think i would plump for Marlborough. Love that place :)

Me too can't put my finger on why, but ye I love the market stalls and wide streets - always stop there for a coffee when out on the bike.

Snowy
04-03-13, 09:07 PM

Me too can't put my finger on why, but ye I love the market stalls and wide streets - always stop there for a coffee when out on the bike.

There goes the neighbourhood..... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jed
04-03-13, 09:09 PM
I too moved from Hampshire into Wiltshire and was looking for an easy commute into Bristol. We started off looking in Chippenham as my commute would have been around 30 mins (outside rush hour!) but couldn't find a house that really suited us. We slowly widened our search looking in Melksham and Trowbridge but finally found the house that said 'home' to us in Devizes. We have been here a year and are very happy with our choice.

redken1
04-03-13, 09:11 PM

Never had you down as a snob Graeme - just shows you, 'nowt as queer as folk' ;) :D ;D

Snowy
04-03-13, 09:17 PM

Never had you down as a snob Graeme - just shows you, 'nowt as queer as folk' ;) :D ;D

Sure is Ken....I don't live there either ;D :D ;)

wiltshire builders
04-03-13, 10:04 PM
I'd live in marshfield or the Hampshire side of Marlborough.
Devizes is nice as it has good independant shops, the canal and a great market.
Depends what you need in a town.

Swanny
04-03-13, 10:25 PM
Where's the best place to live in Wiltshire?
Anywhere except Trowbridge.

There are some amazing villages in Wiltshire

BB
04-03-13, 10:36 PM
Lots of lovely place, some require lots of lovely money too! Depends on what you want really. Just have a good look round before you decide. 8-)

BB

Loops
04-03-13, 11:35 PM
Corsham!

Nothing to do with it being just down the road from the h&c of course... 8-)

Jon_W
05-03-13, 08:02 AM
Trowbridge.

QB1
05-03-13, 08:43 AM
I joined the forum today. Moving to Wiltshire from Hants in the next couple of months. So, where's the best place to live in Wiltshire? 8-)

Stew

Hi Stew

They are all wrong ;D ;D :P

Salisbury and here's why -

Very nice range of housing
Great shops and lovely town centre
Beautiful location
Great leisure facilities
Schools with some of the highest Ofsted ratings in the county
Main line railway station with quick access to London
Stones throw from Thruxton
Closest to the coast
On the Hampshire border - handy for family and friends
[/list]

and THE most important factor no one has mentioned - it is surrounded by THE BEST biking roads in Wiltshire. No contest ;) ;D ;D

Kevinb
05-03-13, 08:45 AM
I've lived in Trowbridge all my life and now work in Devizes so would say Devizes or Marlborough ;D

As others have said it depends on what you want (and can afford) town, village or close to motorway?
I live on the outskirts of Trowbridge so only a minute from open countryside. We try not to use Trowbridge for shopping though as there's nothing here, prefer Bristol

redken1
05-03-13, 08:47 AM

Stew

Hi Stew

Beautiful location
Great leisure facilities
Closest to the coast
[/list]

and THE most important factor no one has mentioned - it is surrounded by THE BEST biking roads in Wiltshire. No contest ;) ;D ;D

Nicky, as a matter of interest, do you work for an estate agents in Salisbury? :P ;) ;D :-*

QB1
05-03-13, 09:13 AM

Stew

Hi Stew

Beautiful location
Great leisure facilities
Closest to the coast
[/list]

Nicky, as a matter of interest, do you work for an estate agents in Salisbury? :P ;) ;D :-*

No ;D ;D ;D

Don't live there and most certainly not an estate agent :o :o

Conehead
05-03-13, 09:51 AM

Stew

Hi Stew

Beautiful location
Great leisure facilities
Closest to the coast
[/list]

No ;D ;D ;D

Don't live there and most certainly not an estate agent :o :o

I live in Salisbury and it is a nice place with a few good roads leading every direction. The only problems are high rent/purchase prices for houses and even higher for shops and thats why a lot of the shops are closing down. You will need a tractor to negotiate the roads in the city centre as full of potholes that never seem to get fixed.
Otherwise what Nicky stated. Schools are great.

QB1
05-03-13, 10:37 AM
[/quote]

I live in Salisbury and it is a nice place with a few good roads leading every direction...... You will need a tractor to negotiate the roads in the city centre as full of potholes that never seem to get fixed.
[/quote]

Ahh pot holes the delights of Wiltshire roads, and yep judging by the amount of crap on the roads quite a few of our fellow residents do indeed drive tractors and not just to miss pot holes ;D

Geordie Stu
05-03-13, 05:05 PM
Lived in Trowbridge 13 years after moving from Newcastle via Basingstoke (Horrible place Basingstoke)

In answer to your question. Trowbridge

Dabz
05-03-13, 06:10 PM
I personally like Trowbridge - grew up (from age of 12) in Bradford on Avon but went to school in Trowbridge and now live here. As with KevinB it helps being next to open countryside but even when I lived nearer the centre I loved it

Dabz
05-03-13, 06:10 PM
Plus we're getting a Nandos soon, done deal...

Squashed_Fly
05-03-13, 06:49 PM
Plus we're getting a Nandos soon, done deal...

Lol, we are in swindon as well. Good times ahead!

redken1
05-03-13, 06:58 PM
Trowbridge is great - just too many Geordies (1) live there!!

:D ;) ;D :-*

LDS
05-03-13, 09:10 PM
Thanks everyone for being so helpfiul and generous with your advice and suggestions. What I've gleaned from all your replies is that Wiltshire has a little bit of everything for every taste! :) I'll be working in Bristol and don't fancy driving in so rail links are important, which narrows things down a bit. Devizes and Marlborough sound and look nice but aren't on the rail link. Salisbury though charming is a bit too far and I'm to old to go to school ;D. Chippenham is a possibility but perhaps too big but it is close to Castle Combe. Trowbridge is ...............Trowbridge. BonA is too Bath but not enough! ::) I think I'm getting a short list of possibilities now and your replies have helped immensely, so thank you. I hope I can thank personally when eventually I meet some or all of you on rideout or other social event. Ttfn. Stew 8-)

jack930
05-03-13, 09:17 PM
take a look at Warminster ! shops and rail links 8-)

Beamer
05-03-13, 09:30 PM
I came to Trowbridge from Swindon to go to college at 16 years old......and never went back.

I lived in Westbury and Melksham for short periods of time but always ended back inTrowbridge.

The best town around as far as Im concerned.

But everyone has their own opinion so I think you should try out a few by staying in a cheap guest house or similar.

LDS
05-03-13, 09:37 PM
take a look at Warminster ! shops and rail links 8-)

Perhaps I should own up - I grew up in Warminster and my octagenarian mother still lives there! :D I'm kinda thinking about something a little bit different.

LDS
05-03-13, 09:40 PM
I came to Trowbridge from Swindon to go to college at 16 years old......and never went back.

I lived in Westbury and Melksham for short periods of time but always ended back inTrowbridge.

The best town around as far as Im concerned.

But everyone has their own opinion so I think you should try out a few by staying in a cheap guest house or similar.

Trowbridge has never really done it for me and my sister lives there. My brother lives in Swindon. I need to be somewhere else ;D. I've lived in Porstmouth for 24 years and it does feel like home so I'm looking for something special. 8-)

Rabb
07-03-13, 08:32 PM
Try one of the villages on the outskirts of Trowbridge like Steeple Ashton or Edington - best of both worlds - quiet village location, close to Trow / Westbury train stations for Bristol.
Broughton Gifford is another nice village that is easily accessible.

goz1960
09-03-13, 09:50 PM
Oxfordshire