PDA

View Full Version : Nick Saunders (legend or what?)

majodude
10-03-13, 04:05 PM
Just watched his "journey beyond reason" round the world in 19 days on a R1, the guy is a bike riding machine, if a little mad :o

Jed
10-03-13, 06:07 PM
I think you have to respect him for what he has done ie ridden around the world more than once. However, why and how he does it and what he gets out of it is another matter altogether!

Col
10-03-13, 06:51 PM
where did the cash come from to enable this to happen ?-never heard of the bloke btw

majodude
10-03-13, 07:07 PM
He has done lots of mad stuff, gone across the Sahara desert on a Harley, round the world on an R1, he writes his epics and video diaries, he is, in the main self funding, doing adventure rides to places like Timbuktu, he is doing USA, this year and morocco in 2014, they are pretty hard core!! Long days, but like I said he is a bit "special" definetly not your cosseted big budget Charley Borman, ( I have nothing against Charley) it's just different.

QB1
10-03-13, 08:30 PM
He's........unique.

I've read several of his books and watched loads of his DVD's and TV programmes.

I really enjoyed the early stuff but he's got more obscure as times's gone by and I find his more recent stuff a bit tedious.

Saw him at the bike show this year and he reminded me of Dr Emmett Brown from Back to the Future.

Amazes me how he sleeps on a bike.

I find Henry Cole much more interesting now.

Nelly
10-03-13, 09:40 PM
I still can't decide.

a) Legend
b) Genius
c) Insane.

:-?

majodude
11-03-13, 01:01 AM
Yes, he's out there alright, the man just cannot sit still!!!

Col
11-03-13, 01:33 AM
You on about this bloke http://nicksanders.com/cms/

Nick SANDERS :-?

Still never heard of him and even I have slept on a bike before most notably piss balling about on Isle Of Man and other venues but that was the good old days ;D :D

QB1
11-03-13, 08:34 AM
You on about this bloke http://nicksanders.com/cms/

Nick SANDERS :-?

Still never heard of him and even I have slept on a bike before most notably piss balling about on Isle Of Man and other venues but that was the good old days ;D :D

That's the one.

Watch some of his videos and you'll understand what I mean about his weird sleeping. He will ride for hundreds and hundreds of miles pull into a layby and just switch off sleep, head down on the tank for 10 minutes and then he's off again. He seems able to survive for weeks with so very little sleep. It's plain weird. :o

QB1
11-03-13, 08:35 AM
I still can't decide.

a) Legend
b) Genius
c) Insane.

:-?

A bit of all three I think. :)

majodude
11-03-13, 08:56 AM
His books remind me of "Jupiters travels" I think that his eccentricity is his appeal, I liked the ending, when he had to borrow €200 to get home from his round the world record attempt as he started in Calais and had run out of money to get to UK! Excellent. :D

QB1
11-03-13, 09:40 AM
His books remind me of "Jupiters travels" I think that his eccentricity is his appeal, I liked the ending, when he had to borrow €200 to get home from his round the world record attempt as he started in Calais and had run out of money to get to UK! Excellent. :D

Ted's the original...much copied ;) :)

If you like your bike adventure books Lois Pryce is great, well I think so.

Swanny
11-03-13, 10:22 AM
He loves the Yamaha Super Tenere. They did a write up on it after his North and South American trip 51 000 miles, stripped the engine down and said it was as though it had just been run in.

QB1
11-03-13, 10:40 AM
He loves the Yamaha Super Tenere. They did a write up on it after his North and South American trip 51 000 miles, stripped the engine down and said it was as though it had just been run in.

He loved the R1's when Yamaha gave him those too ;) :)

Swanny
11-03-13, 12:20 PM
Yea I'd love one too if they gave me one. I think I'd love the Triumph Explorer best though :)