PDA

View Full Version : Goretex refund

Snowy
18-03-13, 10:22 PM
Just sharing my experience of Goretex Pro textiles...these are the bonded laminated products made by WL Gore and includes Rukka, Hein Gericke and Dainese amongst others. I have just sent back to Gore a Master V Pro jacket and PKS-RS trousers branded to HG due to large parts of the fabric turning a nice subtle purple hue. Gore have tested them and found them to be leaking as well. The good news is that this issue is covered under their 5 year warranty and have offered me either new replacements or a full cash refund. I have opted for the latter as in hindsight, the goretex proshell works great in the winter but the "breathability" stops working when temperatures rise in the summer. This makes them very hot to wear in temperatures above 20 degrees and this is a fundemental limitation of the goretex proshell product.

So, I have a nice cheque on its way to me to get something new and I think I will go for a more traditional layering approach rather than the "one type suits all" which unfortunately doesn't seem to exist in reality. So if you have Goretex Pro gear, keep the receipt as you might just need it sometime down the road.....

majodude
19-03-13, 08:13 AM
Always good to hear of companies honouring their warranties. Often they squirm out of it using the very very small print.

Well done ;)

Col
21-03-13, 08:28 PM
above 20 degs....mmmmm nothing like an optimist :-?

Rabb
21-03-13, 10:36 PM
This makes them very hot to wear in temperatures above 20 degrees and this is a fundemental limitation of the goretex proshell product.

If you wear goretex (or any breathable fabric) you MUST wear a synthetic or part synthetic underneath it to allow it to breathe. If you do as most people do and wear a cotton shirt you are defeating the object of buying a 'breathable waterproof'.
Cotton is a natural fibre which takes on moisture (as perspiration).
This moisture will not be able to get out of the cotton and what happens is that as you heat up further you raise the temperature of the moisture in the cotton and you then feel as though you are 'boiling in your own juices' - which you are!

Wear open cell full synthetics and you will feel the benefit and allow your breathable jacket to do it's job. You will notice that all high quality running, cycling and aerobic clothing is full synthetic!
Trust me - I do this for a living!

Snowy
22-03-13, 07:54 AM
This makes them very hot to wear in temperatures above 20 degrees and this is a fundemental limitation of the goretex proshell product.

If you wear goretex (or any breathable fabric) you MUST wear a synthetic or part synthetic underneath it to allow it to breathe. If you do as most people do and wear a cotton shirt you are defeating the object of buying a 'breathable waterproof'.
Cotton is a natural fibre which takes on moisture (as perspiration).
This moisture will not be able to get out of the cotton and what happens is that as you heat up further you raise the temperature of the moisture in the cotton and you then feel as though you are 'boiling in your own juices' - which you are!

Wear open cell full synthetics and you will feel the benefit and allow your breathable jacket to do it's job. You will notice that all high quality running, cycling and aerobic clothing is full synthetic!
Trust me - I do this for a living!

In the summer I do wear synthetic running shirts for just this purpose but still found the breathability of the product non-existent in hot weather. The newer crop of Pro Shell products are appearing with vents built in and I think thats a direct result of this issue. If I go with Pro Shell again I will only consider it with built in vents. Its the same problem with goretex gloves - if you have hot grips and its raining the water gets let through, turn the grips off and the gloves become waterproof again.

8_ball
27-03-13, 06:11 PM
thats mad you say that about the purple colour, I have a Spada jacket and trousers, brought at different times and the jacket is about 2-3 years old and is going purple camo ? I think I too may approch Spada and see what they say......fingers crossed ::)