PDA

View Full Version : Superbike school.

Mac
02-01-06, 10:24 PM
Now I was thinking that sometime this year I'd like to attend Bike Safe (Police organised course) and maybe a course on track to build up confidence in cornering...

Who'd be interested in attending this?

I've got some names and websites which i'll dig out. Maybe get a group discount if we can get numbers.

Mac

tomcat
02-01-06, 11:57 PM
if i have a bike when you organise it i would def be up for this :)

Mac
03-01-06, 07:50 AM
Heres a few options...didn't know Ron Haslam used Honda RR's....cool! ;)

http://www.haslamraceschool.com/

http://www.superbikeschool.co.uk/uk/ssl/

Having read the little article in Bike Magazine these 2 look the best according to their rating....

Check it out and we'll maybe book something...

Mac

Dabz
03-01-06, 08:37 AM
definitely up for doing the bike safe one!

Mac
03-01-06, 08:39 AM
Heres Wiltshires Bikesafe link

http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/Bikesafe/Bikesafe2000/england/wiltshire/wiltshirepolice.html

GIXER_PAUL
03-01-06, 08:56 AM
I'll be up for something like this my biggest bro who rides a k4gsxr750 did the superbike school at silverstone and loved every minute of it. The only thing he didnt like was riding a r6 it was far to small for him so we were laughing at him all day.

Mac
03-01-06, 08:01 PM
Would people rather take their own bike or use one that can be supplied?
Both have pros and cons...
Personally I'm favouring Ron Haslam school at the mo...

Dabz
03-01-06, 10:20 PM
because they have rr's? :P I'm easy either way, but what's the price difference? any idea of the cost of the wilts police one?

Mac
03-01-06, 10:23 PM
Still waiting for an email back on prices and dates. Will post as soon as I have something.
Prefer RH not just coz they've got RR's but because they supply the bikes incorporated into the fee...
CSB you have to pay thru the nose and a 500 quid excess too...something which would put me off. And if u used ur own bike u'd be needing new rear tyre and some other maintenance work too...

Scott_W
05-01-06, 02:30 PM
I'll be up for something like this my biggest bro who rides a k4gsxr750 did the superbike school at silverstone and loved every minute of it. The only thing he didnt like was riding a r6 it was far to small for him so we were laughing at him all day.

Cheeky git!

BTW, it's now a K5 Gixer 750! :P

As Paul said, I loved every second of the California Superbike School, but I'm not sure if you will get much in the way of a discount, if any, from them.

Personally speaking, I've known a few people do the Ron Haslam one and they've all walked away having said it was fun, but that they've not actually learnt anything.

However for me, I learnt an absolute shed load on the Level 1 course (there are a further 3 or 4) such as how to counter steer probably, head positioning, when to turn in for corners, why you quite often readjust your lines through corners, etc.... and I know for a fact that no-body has ever been taught this stuff at a Ron Haslam or similar trackday.

As Paul also says, I had to ride the R6 as I was worried about dropping my bike. When I go back to do the Level 2 course I will use my own bike as they do not get you going quicker than you feel comfortable with and the track they use as Silverstone has loads of run off space should you screw a corner up and need to sit the bike up. This course is designed for all, but the tuition you get from the instructors during the one on one bits are invaluable.

This is just me two p's worth anyway! :)

Mac
05-01-06, 08:16 PM
Well thats just made up my decision for me then!
Are you up for another session Scott?

Scott_W
06-01-06, 09:14 AM
Mac, I would be depending on when it is as I'm just moving house and the old money situation is a bit tight for the short term.

One thing I forgot to mention about the Superbike School - it starts at 7am! :o You also get 4 sessions on track (about 20 minutes each) and 4 sessions in the classroom going through what you've just done on track and what you will be doing on track. Andy Ibbott took mine and he is a very knowledgable and funny chap!