PDA

View Full Version : what bike?

Dabz
17-03-06, 02:37 PM
as most of you probably know I'm sick of not having a faired bike...I was heavily into my naked bikes when I started riding but I want something that looks a bit more sporty now. I also want to move from my 1200 engine back to a 600.

My bandit is a '99 T with 34k on the clock, 2 owners from new (me and the father in law)...literally perfect condition with new chain/sprocket, new tyres etc etc. I'm wondering whether I'd get about £1600 for the bike (they're advertised in MSN and biketrader for up to £2k this age/mileage)...so 1st of all is this realistic?

Next question, what could I get for £1600? looking on ebay there are some pretty nice sports tourers around, 1996 onwards... Obviously I'd expect a few scratches here and there and fairly high mileage. It's just a case of finding a bike that's gonna be similar to the bandit to insure and that is comfy for pillion passengers (so no high seats!). anyone got any suggestions? pics welcome because I go very much on looks lol. Performance doesn't have to set the world alight...I'm not a quick rider!

Dabz
17-03-06, 02:48 PM
a good example of what I'm after would be:

http://www.nxgn-ltd.com/ezweblite/public/styles/GRssuperbikes/view_bike.asp?SP_ID=902220&BRA_ID=4371

loving that

Scott_W
17-03-06, 02:55 PM
The Thundercat is a cracking bike. RVFBabe and I had one for about 7 years and it never ever missed a beat. We had the silver and yellow colours as at the time they looked the best, and OK I might be a bit biased here, still do. The seat is lovely and comfortable, and I'm sure RVFBabe can give a good idea on what the pillion seat was like. The two of us went touring around Cornwall on ours for a week or two (can't remember how long now as it was years ago) and it coped superbly with us, and all of our gear, and believe me, there was a lot of gear!

The only thing people comment about is the rear spring being a bit soft but you can get that changed for under £150 or so IIRC.

If you do get one I've got a superb sounding end can for one! :D

If you have any questions about the 'Cat then ask away! ;)

SkyJawa
17-03-06, 03:08 PM
Thundercat would be a good bike indeed :) Scotts was a cracking looker 8-)

Does weight bother you too much? What about a VFR?

Scott_W
17-03-06, 03:18 PM
Or an old CBR (but they do looked dated IMO). How about an older ZX6R (I wouldn't choose a ZZR600 as they look horrible)?

Cheers for the comment Neil! :)

SkyJawa
17-03-06, 03:45 PM
Thunder........thunder...........thunder.......... .........thundercat, hooooooooooooooooo! ;D

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/Demonicat/Thundercat.jpg
http://www.moto-star.de/auspuff/bsm/img/thundercat-edelst.jpg

Scott_W
17-03-06, 03:50 PM
I don't like the look of that can! :)

LMAO at the cartoon reference! I guess somebody had to get it in there, and you didn't disappoint! ;) :D

RVFBabe
17-03-06, 03:54 PM
I still think it's a good looking bike for it's age! I second Scott W on that it's a good all rounder. And those colours are the best :)

Thundercats the cartoon was cool! My fave was Tigra :D

Scott_W
17-03-06, 03:55 PM
Schnarf! :D

SkyJawa
17-03-06, 04:00 PM
But of course you know me ;D

Cracking cartoon. Snarf Snarf Snarf. My fav was Panthro - I wanted a BattleTank 8-)

Sorry for the hijack Dabz :-[

GIXER_PAUL
17-03-06, 04:51 PM
I can vouch for the cat, scotts was nice and comfy but still pokey. I dont even think they look very dated considering some are about 8yrs old now.

GIXER_PAUL
17-03-06, 04:52 PM
or by the advert 10 years :)

JamesD
17-03-06, 04:52 PM
How about a Firestorm, cracking V-twin...not proper fully faired but very close. I just p/x mine up in the midlands last week, that is on an R plate and has 15K miles.

R1chie
17-03-06, 05:56 PM
Thundercat

FZR600

ZX6r (F + G models)

ZZR600

CBR600 (FN-FR models)

GSXR600 (probably R-X model) ((although suzuki's are very common ;))

RF600

Dabz
17-03-06, 08:02 PM
hmm some cracking options, thanks for all the replies guys! the thundercat looks great...I've emailed asking for a part-ex price. Weight doesn't bother me too much as I'm not good enough to chuck it about lol...it's basically what I could swap my bandit for with very little extra expense.

scottw - I'll keep your can in mind actually as it'd be the 1st mod!

sooo tempted to go to poole on sunday, but he's not open sundays :(

SkyJawa
18-03-06, 12:02 AM
Weight doesn't bother me too much as I'm not good enough to chuck it about lol...it's basically what I could swap my bandit for with very little extra expense.

You say that and I just wondered. I came from a 190kg 100bhp FZ6 to a 160kg 110bhp ZX6R, and trust me the ZX kicks its ass - its sooooooo much more chuckable, more confident to be on, easier to ride due to weight, less counter-balancing required, FAAAAAAAAAAAAST etc. Please, try them before you buy - its a massively different ballgame :)

Dabz
18-03-06, 08:01 AM
cool, good advice mate :)

been offered my bike + £200 for that £1595 thundercat in part ex. Not sure if that's a good deal or not - the bandit is a hell of a popular bike as it's a good workhorse, and mine has 16k less miles on than the cat. looking at the specs, the cta is also 0.3s slower 0-100 :P

a £200 swap for a new bike is excellent really but I was hoping for less or a straight swap ...I'm asking too much lol

Scott_W
18-03-06, 12:21 PM
Just do it as I reckon you won't regret it! ;)

SkyJawa
18-03-06, 04:02 PM
Yeah - £200 quid to change is nothing - go for it! Nothing like buying a new bike and picking it up for the first time 8-)

Scott_W
18-03-06, 05:17 PM
And with the weather like it has been today you'll certainly enjoy it! I'm just back from a 50 mile ride and the adrenaline is pumping! :D :D :D You've gotta love motorbikes! :D

SkyJawa
18-03-06, 05:59 PM
Only going to Bagshot LMAO!!! I just got back too from a similar length ride 8-)

Scott_W
18-03-06, 07:46 PM
Neil, that's tomorrow! :D

So which route did you do then? I did Chobham, Woking, Chertsey, Windlesham, Sunningdale, Ascot, out towards Windsor, but turned off towards Twyford (from the roundabout before Legoland), and then from there to Wokingham.

SkyJawa
18-03-06, 08:53 PM
I went through G'ford, across to Godalming, over the A3 to Puttenham, down to Aldershot and past Caesers Camp, then back through Farnham to rejoin the A31 and head back to Guildford 8-)

SkyJawa
19-03-06, 12:04 AM
LOL! Bagshot! Didn't even get chance to change it but LOL! Sorry bout that! ;) :D

Dabz
19-03-06, 10:07 AM
well had a quick look in MCN last night and for the same sorta money I could get someone a few years younger and with 10k+ less miles. Turns out that that bike is VERY overpriced hehe.

Got my eyes open for one though, it looks like a good bike and although sligtly slower than the bandit it has a higher top speed and should be a slightly nicer ride

Scott_W
19-03-06, 11:03 AM
Cool.... slightly slower lol, like you are going to notice 0.3 of a second's worth of difference when reaching 100! :D

Dabz
19-03-06, 11:55 AM
hehe exactly...I've read some reviews saying it will keep up with most things too...my main concern would be being left behind when out for a ride (not that I ever ride that fast anyway lol, so it's more likely to be due to my grandad riding speeds!)

SkyJawa
19-03-06, 12:00 PM
I don't worry about being left behind - if you are out with decent people they'll stop and wait anyway :)

Scott_W
19-03-06, 12:29 PM
As Neil says, don't worry about it and as I've said it before, everybody on here will be comfortable with riding at different speeds. I feel more comfortable than Neil, but then I'm sure Richie would feel a lot more comfortable than me, etc....

R1chie
19-03-06, 02:44 PM
As Neil says, don't worry about it and as I've said it before, everybody on here will be comfortable with riding at different speeds. I feel more comfortable than Neil, but then I'm sure Richie would feel a lot more comfortable than me, etc....

agreed (although i don't know about me being faster). when in a big rideout i try to find a happy medium for all, bearing in mind the different bikes, riders capability, unfamiliar roads etc. but if you ride like miss daisy then someone will be nominated to stay with you. its a big thing with me to never leave someone on their own on a rideout (for the fun factor and safety reasons)

so if, or when, we get out on a blast together it'll probably be in a small group so it'll be easier to monitor people. big rideouts are a nightmare with people split into groups.

so no need to worry about being left behind. i actually find i enjoy riding slower in groups rather than being a bloody lunatic on my own ::)

Dabz
20-03-06, 07:48 AM
must admit I much prefer slower riding in groups...much more socialble! leave the fast blasts to solo rides and the way home :P

the bandit really impressed me yesterday...it's stupidly fast with ooodles of torque - it's just the wind buffeting at 80+ that annoys me hehe