PDA

View Full Version : Bandit plans...need people to keep an eye out

Dabz
22-03-06, 09:38 AM
Ok well my future bike plans are pretty much decided, I've sourced a full fairing kit from Holland which is affordable and looks great. Just a case of saving money for it now to hopefully get it sorted before summer is over!

This is the kit, by TCP Aerodynamics who are one of the best manufacturers of aftermarket fairings by all accounts:

http://www.willroy.plus.com/greenbandit.jpg

the plan is to source an upper fairing 1st with a decent db screen, then the fairing, then a rear hugger and eventually a tail tidy and possibly seat cowl depending on money.

TCP have told me that they send straight from Holland and "can't remember" the last time they sold one of these for the bandit to the UK - it's very popular in the US apparently but they've sold single figure numbers to the UK...which will be cool seeing as I should be pretty unique :D

so can people keep an eye out for other bandits with this kit for me please? want to know just how unique it'll be hehe

R1chie
22-03-06, 11:31 AM
I take it this is Operation Mucho Cheapo Dabz?

if thats the case, fleabay could be the way forward

out of interest just in case i do come across something, what model bandit is it?

SkyJawa
22-03-06, 12:10 PM
Glad to see you went with TCP - good kit :D

Mac
22-03-06, 12:12 PM
I think Dabz has found a kit on ebay going for £25 at the mo...watch this space...lol

SkyJawa
22-03-06, 12:38 PM
no messing! :D

Dabz
22-03-06, 01:11 PM
it's a bandit 1200 (not the s model), 1999 model

yeh after being told only about 4 or 5 have been sold in the uk ever, one turns up on ebay listed this morning lol, scratched from a fall...talk about coincidence :P

but yeh this is operation mucho cheapo shouldn't-have-bought-a-brand-new-13.5k-car lol...

Dabz
22-03-06, 01:12 PM
PS I need the upper fairing (headlights and screen) bit...they do about 5 different types so the more attractive the better (some have lights like on the honda CBRs)

Dabz
23-03-06, 01:37 PM
well found out that I can't fit the new style upper fairing to a pre-facelift bandit so plans are somewhat thrwarted :P the old style front looks awful and VERY dated

Dutch
23-03-06, 02:06 PM
I did ask earlier i think but what kind of mileage due you get for your tank full?? only because i would have to weigh up whether it is worth while sticking with the bandit and making it look great or whether you should just get something that is the same or less on insurance and costs, which might be a little more sporty for you.
Know its not my place to question especially when the 1200 bandit is a great bike, nothing like the 600 at all.

Dabz
23-03-06, 02:09 PM
ahh sorry make thought you were talking to bonnie when I read that :) it's pretty thirsty, the quoted mpg is 44.5 I think but an 82 mile steady ride (well, bit of speed on the way home) drank 3/4 of a tank last weekend, so it costs about 10p a mile I should think

the tcat is my other option but this bike has been in the family since it was brand new so I'm a bit pained to sell it! might just keep it naked for a bit I guess

Dutch
23-03-06, 02:25 PM
My CBF600 was unfaired and it was loads of fun. unless wanting to hammer it all the time or go down the motorway they are as good as any other bike.
The only time it used to get me on my CBF was when overtaking at speed and the speed just didnt increase much after 90mph but yours is loads more powerful than that so as long as you can take the blast of air in your face i wouldnt worry.
We all go through fads where we want to change things we own but unless you are really sure i would just stick with it.
Maybe find out if you can have the front end changed to accomodate the faring you want

BB
23-03-06, 02:34 PM
Ah, sorry, I thought you were talking to me too. :-X

Dutch
23-03-06, 03:00 PM
Sorry Blackbonnie. Please dont feel left out mate.
Was just trying to find out whether it makes as much difference to a bike having a bigger engine as a car.
Dont think it does to be honest unless you pull that throttle back constantly.
So how many bikes have you got Blackbonnie??

BB
23-03-06, 03:03 PM
What? how many on the road? er, 4 :-[

Dutch
23-03-06, 03:08 PM
Whyare you embarrassed?? That is impressive, have you got any others you want to buy in the near future??

BB
23-03-06, 03:18 PM
Ah well, I'm embarrassed 'cos 4 is the number on the road! I could really do with getting rid of a few others - all brit iron that we had collected between us over the years. OK while you have a tame mechanic to keep things up together but as he became less well, less got maintained and came off the road. :(

Hence going out and getting the bonnie in January! I have friends who are willing to look after one or two bikes for me but a lot of the stuff either I can't handle - wimp that I am - or need major surgery to get sorted. :)

Dabz
23-03-06, 03:31 PM
you're lucky you have somewhere to keep them all! I have to keep mine at my g/fs as there's no room at home :(

BB
23-03-06, 03:36 PM
Scattered around 5 garages - all within walking distance! Stuff on the road lives in the garage at home.

Dutch
23-03-06, 03:40 PM
I have to park mine outside the flat inbetween to cars as to hopefully keep it out of view and hopefully not get knocked over.
Nothing to be embarrassed about Blackbonnie!

BB
23-03-06, 03:44 PM
I know, some of my friends have had to park on the road or on front paths etc.

I'm just conscious that a lot of people haven't had the disposable income that I've had over the years and to be honest I consider myself lucky.

Now someone asked earlier what I might think of buying? Well the MT03 looks interesting!! ;)

Dabz
23-03-06, 04:42 PM
5 garages? blimey! I'm on the council waiting list and have been for 4 months but haven't heard a word :( desperately need a garage to store the bike

BB
23-03-06, 04:45 PM
Well if you will live there! Garages always were in short supply! ;D

Dabz
23-03-06, 10:17 PM
how did you manage to get 5 garages in trowbridge though? I'm only in bradford so have asked for garages in trow/b-o-a/melksham..basically anywhere lol, but they've said there aren't any :(

been keeping an eye out in the classifieds for one to rent privately...lucky the g/f's dad will keep it until I find one though

BB
23-03-06, 10:24 PM
more luck than judgement - right place at the right time! ;)

Dabz
24-03-06, 02:42 PM
incidently I've now found out that you can't fit the k series upper fairing to an earlier series bandit, and the early upper fairings look awful so plans are kinda on hold hehe...might just stay naked (ooo err!) for now

SkyJawa
24-03-06, 02:47 PM
Oh dammit - in that case I've only got one thing to say..........

THUNDERCAT! :P

(although, if you wanna - you can make anything fit anything, can just take a bit of work ;))

Dabz
24-03-06, 02:50 PM
hehe well every shop and supplier and garage I've approached have said it can't be done...even want to banditmania for support and got a one-lined "can't be done" reply lol. If I get the lower fairings on ebay for a stupidly low price I'll pursue it I think, if not then I'll leave it how it is :)

the tcat would be excellent but I like the bandit too much to sell I think :(

SkyJawa
24-03-06, 03:11 PM
Ah - that would kinda put you off lol!