PDA

View Full Version : On the road - again

Snowy
05-04-06, 01:34 PM
Well, I'm feeling quite pleased with myself, and since no one else in my house gives a stuff, I thought I would share with you guys. Having spent the last 2 months working on my old steed, including much work you chain and sprocket people just wouldn't understand - the beemer passed the MOT with flying colours this morning. Ordered the tax from the DVLA website just now, so providing their computer system works I'm now legally on the road again. Hurrah!

I may try and make the good friday rideout, but 5 years off the bike will take some gentle practice to feel confident again. You guys all look like fast riders so I'm a little unsure. Maybe we could have an old codgers rideout, or maybe I will act as the backup bike and carry all the tools!

Graeme

SkyJawa
05-04-06, 02:11 PM
Good one Graeme - bet you're really satisfied with yourself after all that work :)

Defo come along to the ride out - we are not all fast riders - far from it, quite a few of us are relatively new to it, some have more all round bikes and everyone has a different pace. Anyone that wants to go off can, and we'll just have meet up points along the route so you can basically go as slow or fast as you like :)

m1tch
05-04-06, 02:45 PM
yeah just go at your own pace dont worry about anyone else, just as long as you feel good people can always wait there aint no problem.

by the way well done mate hope to see you about ;D

BB
05-04-06, 03:39 PM
Congrats at being back on the road! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Just relax and ease back into life on 2 wheels - thats what it is all about. 8-)

BB

Dutch
05-04-06, 04:34 PM
congratulations on getting the bike back on the road. My uncle is constantly working on his bike and it always seems to be off the road.
You know what they say though dont you??

You never forget how to ride a bike.

I bet it is true as well.

Mac
05-04-06, 04:45 PM
Whats my sig say???

Well done for getting it back on the road! Hope to see it soon...

zebedee1984
05-04-06, 05:59 PM
You never forget how to ride a bike.

I bet it is true as well.

I don't know about that, I forget each time i get on my bike, what the hell I'm doing!

Snowy
05-04-06, 06:12 PM
Thanks all. I'm slightly deflated now as one of the fork seals has gone, but to be honest this was likely to happen. The bike has a few other gremlins to sort out but nothing to stop it from being ridden.

So far, while I can say you never forget how to ride, you do forget how you are respected (or not respected) by car, van and lorry drivers!! I had forgotten just how stupid some people are and I've only been back on the roads one day!! Thanks for all the encouragement.

Graeme

blurbiker247
05-04-06, 08:49 PM
Hi mate, well done on the MOT, sorry to hear about the rest of the problems, don't give up, I'm sure you wont, re the godgers ride out, speaking as the forums resident codger, I;d be happy to come along for a nice steady ride, slow or as fast as you feel happy with, just ket me know if you want a bit of company, and we'll sort out a time.

blurbiker

Dabz
05-04-06, 10:05 PM
well done mate, I bet it feels twn times better knowing you've done it all yourself? Don't worry about riding confidence..as others have said we're all of varying skills here - in fact I've only managed to ride 4 times in the last 9 months due to a period without a bike and then an injury...so I'm far from confident!

Amante_271
06-04-06, 08:26 AM
Hi Mate! Well done on passing the dreadded MOT! I built a Suzi X7 drag racer (I may of mentioned this before ::) ) from scratch & had loads of "fun" getting it thru! Tho as a Beemer man I expect your build up wasnt quite as radical (or noisy!) still the man from the ministry is still a pain in the arse!

Riding a bike is like sex! The more you do it the better you get AND TRUST ME you NEVER forget how to do it (or your first time/love!) ;)

If you have the abillity & confidence to get the bike thru the MOT you MUST have the skills needed to get out there and get those bugs back in your teeth again! Oh, the joys of summer!!! :D

Whats the old saying - If in doubt just go for it!! And remember HAVE FUN!!!

Snowy
06-04-06, 08:57 PM
Went out for a longer run today - practising in the dry. Got back home and noticed a bit of oil on the fairing, then noticed a lot more oil all over the forks, front brake calipers, wheel etc. Oh dear!! So it's fairing off, seat off, tank off, both calipers/ABS sensor off, mudgaurd off, wheel off, and fork legs off. Ordering the new seals now. But I'm going to make the Good Friday rideout if I can get it all back together again.

The really strange thing is - I enjoy doing all this stuff in some odd masochistic (sp?) way!!!

blurbiker247
06-04-06, 09:07 PM
Very impressed, not just with he ride but all the fixing bit. :)

R1chie
06-04-06, 09:18 PM
sods law mate

as soon as you fix something, another thing goes

at least it sounds like you are capable mechanic, so new fork seals won't be too much of an issue for you.

hope to catch you on the good friday rideout

Snowy
06-04-06, 11:10 PM
I wouldn't call myself a great mechanic, but through necessity when I started on bikes, I couldn't afford to do anything else. Over the years you just pick up a little more info each time and it gets a little easier. Plus if my bike was a new machine I don't think I would be doing what I'm doing now! Hope I can make tomorrow week - will let you know.

Amante_271
07-04-06, 09:32 AM
Dont forget to put all the extra bits from the re-build somewhere safe as you MIGHT still need them! LOL!