PDA

View Full Version : Jobs

Scott_W
14-03-06, 10:21 PM
I for my sins *attempt* to sell fax software as my main product, but recently I've taken on the responsibility of selling an email archive package.

So what do you the rest of you do? Well apart from SkyJawa as I know what he does and for the most part, it's not a lot.... how do I know, cos I'm doing not a lot with him via Messenger! ;D

Gav
14-03-06, 11:04 PM
I work for a Motorcycle repair shop.....oh god how i hate bikes really....

SkyJawa
15-03-06, 12:06 AM
I for my sins *attempt* to sell fax software as my main product, but recently I've taken on the responsibility of selling an email archive package.

So what do you the rest of you do? Well apart from SkyJawa as I know what he does and for the most part, it's not a lot.... how do I know, cos I'm doing not a lot with him via Messenger! ;D

Its funny coz its true!!! ;D

But for those who don't know I work on the Cisco software that runs IP and Multi Media Contact Centres - dead exciting, NOT! And as Scott points out, its not really that busy!!! ;D

S2_Neo
15-03-06, 12:59 AM
A-hem, hope were not all in IT :P (Says the trainee IT Engineer)

Amante_271
15-03-06, 07:11 AM
I work as Area Fundraising Team Manager for a charity called Megan Baker House. Its a national childrens charity helping kids with Cerebral Palsy. We run the National centers and in the South West we are trying to raise £60,000 so we can get 2 new members of staff FULLY trained, who in turn will be able to help a minimum of 40 local kids pre year over and above what we can currently do.

There is a web site...

www.meganbakerhouse.org.uk

if your curious!

Rich_aka_Baldspeed
15-03-06, 09:00 AM
I work for a company called Autocom, I sell, fit and look after the after sales of our products. I am also involved with the testing and sponsorship side of the business (Team Suzuki Moto GP and BSB, Hawk Kawasaki, Virgin race and limo, Renegade are few of the teams I deal with) so pretty much all round so each day is different which is spot on :)

Dabz
15-03-06, 09:18 AM
I'm an IT Consultant...moved from being a techie geek to doing the planning side of things, so spend my days in meetings, planning systems and doing quotes etc. very boring! I do get my hands dirty still sometimes though...usually on the larger projects

RVFBabe
15-03-06, 09:40 AM
I am an Audio/Visual Conference Support Analyst - this involves anything to do with A/V - setting up. maintaining, new projects, training etc :)

Katel
15-03-06, 09:56 AM
I'm a Fraud Analyst. I monitor transactions that are made on Internet Banking to see if they are genuine or not. If they're not genuine we then have to try and minimise our losses and then talk the customer through cleaning their PC's.

JamesHockley
15-03-06, 10:11 AM
I am IT trainer and implementer/tester, so much for the rough, tough, biker image!

Scott_W
15-03-06, 10:13 AM
Some interesting jobs here! :) Keep 'em coming!!

Rich_aka_Baldspeed
15-03-06, 10:41 AM
Eh so many IT geeks...............:)

Scott_W
15-03-06, 10:47 AM
Does look that way Rich! :)

Mac
15-03-06, 10:50 AM
LOL I'm a trucker...stop gap mind..just to keep money coming in

BB
15-03-06, 10:52 AM
Street lighting pays my bills! :)

JamesD
15-03-06, 01:49 PM
IT Manager in Vodafone (hangs head in shame) :-[

Scott_W
15-03-06, 02:05 PM
They used to be a customer of mine James (going back a few years now). :o

JamesD
15-03-06, 02:27 PM
"They used to be a customer of mine James (going back a few years now)"

Funny we have just had someone sell us an email archive product also..... :-?

Scott_W
15-03-06, 03:15 PM
Bugga!

SkyJawa
15-03-06, 04:56 PM
Can you not just use Auto-Archive in Outlook ;) :P ;D

R1chie
15-03-06, 05:04 PM
Soldier................but looking to get back to civvy street soon

Scott_W
15-03-06, 05:09 PM
Can you not just use Auto-Archive in Outlook ;) :P ;D

No and I won't bore you with the reasons why either! :P :D

SkyJawa
15-03-06, 05:10 PM
Use Exchange Archive then :P ;) ;D

R1chie
15-03-06, 06:00 PM

btw..........gis a job........go on......gis a job ;)

Scott_W
15-03-06, 10:03 PM
Use Exchange Archive then :P ;) ;D

Still wouldn't use that for various reasons! :P

SkyJawa
15-03-06, 10:43 PM
Yeah - ya can't sell it to customers coz they already have it - scumbag salesman ;) :P

;D

Scott_W
15-03-06, 11:02 PM
Oi bog off you! :P

SkyJawa
15-03-06, 11:09 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Amante_271
16-03-06, 10:25 PM

btw..........gis a job........go on......gis a job ;)

Im recruiting at the moment Professional Charity fundraisers. Ive got team members on £300-500 per week+ its not rocket science (or IT! LOL) but it pays good money! If your interested get in touch! THIS IS A SERIOUS OFFER!!!

Scott_W
16-03-06, 11:24 PM
Not being rude, but how much money do you make in a week then through charity work to pay your team members that kind of money?

Amante_271
17-03-06, 05:08 AM
An honest question deserves a honest answer.

We have to stick to the charity commission rules and regulations on paying professional collectors. The Charity recieves 25 percent of what is raised by each collector. The collector recieves 40/45% and I recieve the remainder as my commission. It might sound alot but it works out to be the most cost effective way for the charity to fundraise over all. Its better for the charity to recieve say £500 a week by using professionals than by having dear mrs Smith raising £40 per year by doing a cake stall at the WI. Please dont think that Im knocking the Mrs Smiths of this world as all money recieved by the charity is very gratefully recieved. This way the charity though can budget knowing roughly what sort of money they will recieve each week.

My commission may sound alot BUT I have to pay for all the stock we sell, all the pots, seals, display boards, tabards etc... as well as running the office and the costs on that side can be quite high. It costs on average £25 to get a booking to go to a store, post, phone calls, etc.

My O.T.E gross figure is aprox £45-50k per year

Scott_W
17-03-06, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the honest answer.

So how do I become one of these people then if the salaries are like that? ;)

Seriously though, I still cannot get my head around the rules and regs set out by the charity commission. Surely the charity should receive 40/45% of the money, the collector receives 25% or smaller and so on......?

TBH, that kind of "profit" for the "collector" kind of puts me off donating to charity, as really you are donating to the "collector" more than you are the "charity". We all know that there are lots of charities out there doing lots of good things for cancer, cerebral palsy, etc.... but surely if they have "professional collectors" creaming a lot of the money off the top then this doesn't help towards their causes? If I were to donate £100 now to say, Cancer Research via a professional collector, the charity would only see £25 whilst the rest is creamed off for profit/expenses of the collector. Hmm........ makes you think!

BTW, these are just my personal views and not those of the forum!

Edited for a spelling typo....

SkyJawa
17-03-06, 10:37 AM
Exactly the reason why all the charities I want to support get paid directly by me, tax free, by DD - and so they get the lot.

Anybody in the street, or that comes hassling me in a pub can feck right off >:(

R1chie
17-03-06, 06:46 PM
Almante...........appreciate the job offer but i won't be out of the green stuff until a years time at the earliest.

But an interesting post nonetheless. I never realised that there are professional collectors out there. I, and I imagine the majority of people, would have thought that any money that is donated goes wholely to that charity.

I'm sure the charities have weighed things up and decided this is the best way to go in order to get the most money donated as possible. But I have to agree with Scott on the point of the large percentage taken by the collectors, which certainly shocked me

Amante_271
17-03-06, 07:21 PM
I understand why it puts alot of peoples backs up with the work that I do BUT some of the smaller charities cant afford the man power or time to raise funds sufficient to cover their over heads let alone anything else so thats where I can help! If it wasnt for professional fundraisers like myself and my team alot of charities would fold & then nobody would "profit".

At the end of the day I can only talk from my own experience and I know there is alot of good work done by the fact that I have been able to commit my time and best efforts - upto 7 days a week - to make the charity a success! How many of you would be prepared to stand outside a supermarket for 8-9hours a day when its freezing cold 4/5 days a week and on the other 2/3 organise and run a busy office? The charity recieves no money from the goverment or the lottery and manages to be totally self funding!

SkyJawa
18-03-06, 12:06 AM
No offence mate but lol. I still stand by my post.

I come from working in catering where anything from a 12 to 22 hour day wasn't strange. We're talking come to work sat 6:30am go home 4:30am sun morning and be back at work for 7am. You're talking 70 hours a week min, so no, not really impressed by your hours against pay...........

But thanks for explaining, you've made me even more determined to never pay people in the pub or street and pay direct :)

Scott_W
18-03-06, 02:06 AM
I still do have to wonder why the Charities Commission think that those kind of percentages are correct. To me, standing in a supermarket, or a petrol station, etc... for the 8 or 9 hours a day to earn 40-50k a year is a lot easier than say somebody like Richie who would be risking their life for their job and they will earn significantly less than that.

Again, nothing personal, but I just think the pay really doesn't justify the job.

It's good that you are honest about it though.....

Dabz
18-03-06, 07:57 AM
I do agree with amante though - not many people would stand outside a supermarket for 8-9 hrs a day in the cold...especially when the majority of people will walk straight past to avoid donating

Amante_271
18-03-06, 08:08 AM
Neil my back ground is cattering so I know what the hours are like. I used to be head barman at a 4/5* hotel & had clients in the bar till 4.30 - 5 and had to be back on duty at 6.30 for a dray delivery (bearing in mind I lived 20mins away & I needed to have a sh*t, shower, shave & food before the "next day" at work. Ive also been manager at a city center pub in Oxford and had to do 12+ hour straight shifts AND the bottleing up, paper work in the office etc, etc. So I know where you are coming from mate.

I used to do "sign ups" for some major local charities (direct debit payments) and it used to work out that the commission rates and bonuses were higher than for general collecting so dont believe that way doesnt pay for the collectors wages!

Like I said before I admit to earning a decent GROSS wage BUT I have alot of out goings as a manager that I dont get back from the charity. For example I paid out £300+ for pots and seals (which all pots MUST have as a legal requirement - not all do!!!) The average post bill is £100-150 a month! Dont even ask about the phone bill - take your domestic bill, put an extra 0 on the end at thats getting near the MONTHLY mark! The costs in charity work are bloody high! thats why it HAS to be run as a business and not as a "Aaw Bless! Lets help the little Kiddy winks!"

Ive had to become very tough about it all over the years and I must admit more than a little cynical as well. If the F*CKING goverment and the Lottery pulled their fingers out of their ar*es ALOT more could be done to help. So much money gets wasted on non essential things and not given to helping people.

To over stress a point, and meant to be said tongue in cheek, so no offence meant to anyone.... Im quite sure if we were a gay, black, lesbian,glove puppet theatre group, who wanted to put on a Russian play in Manderin Chinesse we would probably get full funding! But untill that happens I take pride in the fact that although I get paid a decent wage to do my job, I know that what I do makes a HUGE difference to the lives of many local disabled children. They cant be cured BUT with what I do they get the chance to have the best quality of life that they can have.

Who of you out there can say that??????

Foo
19-03-06, 07:42 PM
I work in IT :D but thankfully I know nothing technical

My job title is: Global Applications Service Delivery Manager :D

BB
19-03-06, 08:01 PM
Foo, just checked out the website - way to go girl!! Good luck & have fun! 8-)

BB

SkyJawa
19-03-06, 09:41 PM
I work in IT :D but thankfully I know nothing technical

My job title is: Global Applications Service Delivery Manager :D

WTF does that mean LMAO!!! ;D

Foo
19-03-06, 11:22 PM
Fooked if I know!!!! :D

Foo
19-03-06, 11:24 PM
Foo, just checked out the website - way to go girl!! Good luck & have fun! 8-)

BB

;D Thanks Blackbonnie 8-) starting to get nervous now as the first race isn't far off now!

BB
20-03-06, 07:56 AM
Nervous is good! ;)

I'm sure you will be fine come final practice and once the flag drops! :) :)

SkyJawa
20-03-06, 08:56 AM
Fooked if I know!!!! :D

Classic! PMSL!! ;D

Dutch
23-03-06, 11:50 AM
Seems like i have the most boring job then!!! Or at least that is the tag placed on it.
I am an accountant!!
Ye i know, sounds like perfect crap but to be honest if it gets me enough money to do the things i want to do and to have a good family life then i couldnt care less. Most of it is to do with Excel anyway so it feels like i end up programming all day long.

Good to know what everyone else does too.

Alamante
I understand your position mate and i admire you for what you are doing. There are others out there that really do prosper on other peoples misfortunes and they are generally funded from the government so we dont even get to see what is happening.
Everyone needs to live in life, and if you can live your life to the fullest whilst also helping others in need then i am all for it. You dont do any sponging from the government effecting peoples taxes so everything you make is through you own effot which is commendable.
Ever disaster that occurs in the world always ends up with a few rich people getting richer because we have to use their resources. Asking people to give a little to help others and not knowing exactley what is happening with every penny, well that is life. Live ignorantly and keep the smile on your face is the best way!!

RE03
23-03-06, 07:46 PM
[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] I fixes cranes I duz [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

....lotsa work in Airbus ;)

Amante_271
24-03-06, 08:19 AM
Dutch. Thanks for the support! Makes a change to have an accountant on MY side! LOL!

blurbiker247
29-03-06, 06:21 PM
Since I was 17 and laid off of my job as cabinet maker cos of the miners strick (now theres a blast from the past) I have run my own contract cleaning company, done all kinds down through the years but now only service Health and Fitness Clubs.

zebedee1984
01-04-06, 01:53 PM

Formerly Royal Marine and currently (in stark contrast) Assistant Theatre Manager at the Wyvern

The reason I quote you ninja_richie is I'm actually looking to go back in, this time to the RAF regiment.
Just wondering what unit you are with?

R1chie
02-04-06, 07:52 PM

Formerly Royal Marine and currently (in stark contrast) Assistant Theatre Manager at the Wyvern

The reason I quote you ninja_richie is I'm actually looking to go back in, this time to the RAF regiment.
Just wondering what unit you are with?

with the Royal Signals mate, so you can understand why i'm getting out lol

anyone with connections to the mobile phone world (vodafone, O2 , motorola etc)........any job tip offs would be greatly appreciated

Mac
02-04-06, 07:54 PM
Got a mate who works at Orange in Bristol. What do u wanna know mate?

R1chie
02-04-06, 07:59 PM
Got a mate who works at Orange in Bristol. What do u wanna know mate?

if they'll give me a job lol

seriously though, just the beef on any available jobs going and such like

Mac
02-04-06, 08:00 PM
Let me make a text and i'll keep u posted.

benobiker
06-04-06, 02:17 PM
Erm dare I say I also tinker with computers. Search engine designer... eww and i was hoping to project a cool dude image atleast until i met a few of you......

Dabz
06-04-06, 02:25 PM
that sounds like a cool job! where are you based?

benobiker
06-04-06, 02:28 PM
malmesbury work from home.. great site by the way!!

Dabz
06-04-06, 03:05 PM
thanks mate :D so is it programming you do? never come across a search engine designer before you see :P

benobiker
06-04-06, 03:11 PM
i guess thats what i call myself, am self employed, have designed the algorythm and then am about to hand it to programmers to turn it into working code.

BB
06-04-06, 06:49 PM
i guess thats what i call myself, am self employed, have designed the algorythm and then am about to hand it to programmers to turn it into working code.

Duh? :-? :-/ I suppose Dabz will know what you are on about!! ;)

BB (not a computer geek)

R1chie
06-04-06, 08:20 PM
malmesbury eh?

i was up there at the weekend...........well...........passed through it on the way to Sherston

S2_Neo
06-04-06, 08:28 PM
Well, lucky me, I have just been made redundant!, Lol, Got 7 weeks to work, and find something new!

P

BB
06-04-06, 08:44 PM
Bummer! What do you do?

Dabz
06-04-06, 09:08 PM
ouch sorry to hear that mate

S2_Neo
06-04-06, 09:13 PM
Was an IT Engineer/networker

P

BB
06-04-06, 09:20 PM
Ah, sorry, we have our full complement of IT at our place at present.

S2_Neo
06-04-06, 09:23 PM
Lol, To be honest, Im moving away from it Methinks........have done my share of it, Find it rather boring!, Ah well, We'll see what come's up!.

Any offers, Chuck them my way tho!, Lol....

P

R1chie
06-04-06, 09:23 PM
this may or may not be any help to you mate

http://www.mcnninjas.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=30768.0

benobiker
06-04-06, 09:30 PM
malmesbury eh?

i was up there at the weekend...........well...........passed through it on the way to Sherston

ah, Hi there ninja richie.. its not bad for just going loony tunes between the two round abouts... ;)

benobiker
06-04-06, 09:32 PM
sorry to hear that R6neo. i would offer you a job with me but cant even pay myself at the mo! all the best finding a new career/ job!

R1chie
06-04-06, 09:36 PM
malmesbury eh?

ah, Hi there ninja richie.. its not bad for just going loony tunes between the two round abouts... ;)

ah yes, i know which ones you mean (one has a BP garage next to it???)

benobiker
06-04-06, 09:45 PM
That be them....))) Good fun early on a summers morning,, wake everyone up....

Amante_271
07-04-06, 09:41 AM
I dont want to stir up the old hornets nest but dare I mention that Im still looking for people to work with me??? ::)

The road between the 2 roundabouts was always a favourite of mine but you have to watch out as they sometimes bung a camera on there! Try the roud out of Tetbury, past Highgrove (Prince Charle's shack in the sticks) and wind it up past Westonbirt Arboretum/Private Girls School! My old test bed track! Lovely road and pretty views (especially when the girls are playing Lacross!!! ::) ::) Er.. So Ive been told!!!)

benobiker
07-04-06, 11:17 AM
Yeah i always take it slow the first time to make sure. I know where you mean.... coming back into tetbury can be fun, though a mate of mine smashed into the Highgrove gates a couple of years back... that went down like a.... erm well,... like Camillas entry in a miss world contest....(Should add he was in a car so was a ok....

Steev
10-04-06, 03:09 PM
Well I have a job that involves me working with some serious geek types (Train Spotters) yes they do realy exist.

I am a signalling engineer, which means that i design signalling systems for the railways (I stop the trains bashing together). It can be pretty interesting at times but lately its all a bit repetative as Network Rail arnt realy doing any major reworks at the moment, as they are still skint after buying back all the maintenance contracts after Potters Bar.

Amante_271
11-04-06, 09:49 AM
Steev - I play pool with a guy, Chris Mc Gahan who works on the track. We call him The Fat Controller for obvious reasons. Ok pool player but a right royal pain in the butt!

Hes so PROUD as hes bought a CB250rs and will be riding it later in the summer! Hmm will wait and see if it happens! I told him its a "Wet Dream" sorry Super Dream And will struggle to pull the skin off a rice pudding let alone his weight! he refused to agree! ON either subject!! LOL