PDA

View Full Version : bonnie is a bad influence!

Dabz
18-04-06, 08:35 AM
well after hearing your morini on friday and deciding that his standard pipes on his bonnie sound "like a wet fart", Paul decided to do something about it yesterday. he read that the original bonnie used as a beach racer didn't have any silencers at all, just the straight through manifold pipes...so off came the silencers lol

it's stupidly loud but sounds as good as any harley...and has also transformed the power of the bike. he has some other straight-through pipes on order at the mo so those should bring the noise levels down a bit, but it's incredible how much it changes the bike now it sounds like a proper cruiser!

Scott_W
18-04-06, 08:40 AM
Good move that man!

SkyJawa
18-04-06, 09:54 AM
LOL!!! Good man! :D

BB
18-04-06, 09:58 AM
Bad influence indeed! wot little old me? ;) lol

I must admit I just love the sound of that Morini myself and every time I ride it It is just so much fun! I think my bonnie sounds like a sewing machine!

Good on ya Paul! ;D

Gav
18-04-06, 05:39 PM
Hmmmmmm and does the word not legal mean anything...

Most of the reason bikers get such a bad rap is because idiots flying around with silly loud pipes on their bikes.....or no silencers!!!!!!! Why not jus put up a sign saying "hey officer, look come pull me over, and while your at it nick me for anything else you can find wrong with muy bike"

Most decent Race silencers are not overly noisey which is why they are allowed on race tracks with noise limits.

It really does make ya laugh, the typical attitude of people.....oh it sounds sooo nice....and then complain when they get a ticket...
Im sorry for the rant, but it really does annoy me. Its like the kids with little scooters with ****ed exhausts on....yeah you may think it sounds really good and all that....but it just attracts attention from the wrong people, which in turns show in a bad light for ALL bike riders....

Also do you not think the manufacturer developed the original exhaust to perform to an optimum level whilst keeping within the limits allowed in this country???

And anothing thing from a mechanic point of view....do you not think it is doing some harm to your engine....all engines rely on a certain amount of back pressure given by the silencer to stop pre detonation in the cylinder and to stop the unburt fuel in the exhaust from igniting and burning out exhaust valves....

Oh but its ok because it sounds good......hmmmm

S2_Neo
18-04-06, 06:28 PM
Ouch Gav........Live and let live? Lol

P

GixerBoy
18-04-06, 06:45 PM
Legal??? And i thought that I rode a noisy firebreathing missile cus' I was a rebel!!! ::)
Gav,I think your missin the whole point about the motorcycling culture thing,you don't ride a motorcyle to conform.........Well I sure as hell don't anyway!! 8-)

BB
18-04-06, 07:06 PM
Gav, I agree with you re noise from illegal cans alienating people and I also knew that engine damage can be caused by poorly set up systems.

However I would just point out my Morini is 1977 vintage and replacement OE pipes & cans are not exactly an off the shelf item. The ones fitted are based on the originals and have been on there for many years and through several different MOT stations without any comments adverse or otherwise from any tester.

Personally I just love the sound of a vee twin Morini and coming from a classic bike background do not think they are particularly noisy, loud or offensive. You ought to be on the IOM ferry for the Manx GP when all the Brit stuff fires up, now that’s noisy!

My modern Bonneville is still stock and is quite likely to remain that way as I cannot be arsed to change pipes and or cans for MOT's.

Although I haven’t heard it I wouldn't mind betting Paul's bike doesn't sound any louder than a lot of Harleys. I know he told me he loved the sound of the Morini but I know he wouldn’t have changed anything expecting a modern parallel twin to sound like anything like an aging Italian vee!

Snowy
18-04-06, 07:24 PM
I have heard much worse than BB's Morini 3.5, usually a 4 cylinder at 12k rpm. Twins and triples can sound really nice without being excessive. The few of us who can remember a Laverda Jota on full song will agree I'm sure. I like to ride a quiet bike myself, but equally like to hear a good exhaust note whatever the engine size or configuration. Doesn't mean it's illegal or bad for bikers reputations. The legal side is relevant as is the technical implications of running without back pressure, but don't assume a Triumph twin with straight throughs is any more excessive than a litre bike and a Remus. And on a legal note, how many of us didn't break the speed limit last Friday? Which is worse?

blurbiker247
18-04-06, 07:37 PM
I'm with Gav and Graeme on this one, to me now, they are a bit like go fast tape and swinging dice,may look or sound good but what do they do for the bike long term and all bikers. :-[

Gav
18-04-06, 07:40 PM
I think you have all missed my point....

I was replyin to a topic about a bike being ridden with the silencers removed...
I ride bikes with race pipes and have been riding on the road for13yrs now.
My point is about the people that blatently flaunt the law and then complain when they get caught.
Now as for old bikes and the noise, im a mechanic and an MOT tester on bikes so i know that they will be noisey and that is within the law....

And my point was not about a fireblade with a noisey pipe because thats summin we all do/have done and will always do....the difference is that when you shut the throttle a bike with a race pipe will shut up, a bike with no silencers fitted wont. And thats where the problem begins....

And as for riding a bike to not conform, open your eyes....its not like that anymore, everyman and his dog now has a bike sat in his garage for the odd day out.... I ride a bike because there is no other way to get that much speed for that kinda money, and the rush you get from exiting a corner knee on the deck and stamding it upright well into triple figures, well there is nothing that can replace that is there.

Gav

BB
18-04-06, 08:20 PM
There are always those who break the law and then moan when they get caught, however I’m sure the bloke concerned is mature enough to know right from wrong and make his own decision accordingly. I think you will find most of us are. If caught I’m sure he or any of one us would have our little moan but ultimately hold up our hands and accept it if we are doing wrong.

You talk about getting your knee down and exiting a bend in excess of 3 figures – are you talking track day or public highway? Can you honestly say you conform to the law all the time on the highway? I know I can’t so I can’t point the finger.

As I said before, I agree that noise can alienate people. It irritates the hell out of me to sit in the front room and some little toe rag keeps running round and round the block on their ponced up little hairdryer or to lie in bed late at night/early morning and hear some pratt howl through town several streets away on his (or her) XYZ123 superfanbloodytastic sportsbike. Or come to that the ‘thud, thud thud’ of someone’s so called ‘in car entertainment’.

Christ I’m beginning to sound like Victor Meldrew!! :o

(edited for spelling)

Snowy
18-04-06, 08:41 PM
Unless I'm missing something, the only person who has actually heard the bike is Dabz (and Paul of course) and Dabz's closing comment was it sounded like a real cruiser. Just like any other weekend Harley on the road it seems to me.

SkyJawa
18-04-06, 10:34 PM
Ooooo blimey! Hornets nest!!

As for backpressure - less of it with a turbo the better ;) ;D

R1chie
18-04-06, 11:01 PM
neil............sometimes i wonder about you ;)

http://submarinesaustralia.com/humour/bike_exhaust.jpg

V-TWIN
18-04-06, 11:45 PM
LMFAO at that picture that reminds me of my sp1!

V-TWIN
18-04-06, 11:47 PM
and regarding the exhaust rant, everyone has there own views and tastes!, but at the end of the day, its there own motorcycle so they can do whatever the fook they like, be it loud or quiet

Dabz
19-04-06, 08:35 AM
Hmmmmmm and does the word not legal mean anything...

I should think probably 90% of the bikes on the road have illegal exhausts so one more isn't going to change anything ... and as someone else said, I'm sure the speeds most of us do are far worse

as for performance, the bike is like a different bike since doing this so it must have unlocked some performance. back pressure....well the original bonnies way back when didn't have any back pressure as hey didn't have any silencers...just the manifold down pipes

the sound...well it's no louder than a harley or the triumph rocket III

and getting caught...well he'd have no choice but to cough up the fine. it'd be worth it for the transformation from an 800cc cruiser with moderate power to one that has as much torque as my 1200 bandit and can be ridden like a bike is meant to be ridden

GixerBoy
19-04-06, 12:07 PM
[quote author=Blackbonnie link=1145345738/0#11 date=1145388017]There are always those who break the law and then moan when they get caught, however I’m sure the bloke concerned is mature enough to know right from wrong and make his own decision accordingly. I think you will find most of us are. If caught I’m sure he or any of one us would have our little moan but ultimately hold up our hands and accept it if we are doing wrong.

You talk about getting your knee down and exiting a bend in excess of 3 figures – are you talking track day or public highway? Can you honestly say you conform to the law all the time on the highway? I know I can’t so I can’t point the finger.

As I said before, I agree that noise can alienate people. It irritates the hell out of me to sit in the front room and some little toe rag keeps running round and round the block on their ponced up little hairdryer or to lie in bed late at night/early morning and hear some pratt howl through town several streets away on his (or her) XYZ123 superfanbloodytastic sportsbike. Or come to that the ‘thud, thud thud’ of someone’s so called ‘in car entertainment’.

Christ I’m beginning to sound like Victor Meldrew!! :o
Think Bonnie says it all really! :)