PDA

View Full Version : Bikesafe 2006 23 April Feedback

BB
23-04-06, 05:55 PM
Well Zebedee, Dutch, James & I have all been certified! Excellent day out and well worth attending. Everyone, punters & coppers very approachable and easy to talk to. Interesting sessions and plenty of open discussion.

As it was wet this morning didn't bother to try the Bonnie so did it on the Morini and when I was halfway over there realised I didn't have working indicators! Anyway I gott special dispensation and they still let me do the assessed ride.

Must brush up my road positioning skills, make more progress (?) and practise my lifesavers! Oh and he really didn't like that I didn't have mirrors on the Morini!

BB

R1chie
23-04-06, 06:05 PM
no indicators.........no mirrors!!!

check out BB with her bad boy stylee lol

BB
23-04-06, 06:14 PM
I must admit I was surprised he took me out. They also made the offer that we could go back for another assessed ride later in the year if we felt we didn't perform well this time. I might go back with the bonnie, be interesting to have feedback on how I ride that compared to the Morini.

I can't recall his exact wording but it he described the Morini as a challenging bike to ride with its particular characteristics.

Snowy
23-04-06, 07:08 PM
I didn't think it was illegal not to have indicators or mirrors. If the indicators were fitted but not working that might be a different matter tho. I'm sure someone more up to date on the law will answer this!

Maybe he meant it was a challenge keeping up with you on the Morini!

BB
23-04-06, 07:17 PM
It is down to personal choice reagarding the mirrors, but he could have refused to take me out as if indicators are fitted they are supposed to work, as is any light on any vehicle.

I'm sure there are various cut off dates within the construction & use regs that tell you if your vehicle can legally be ridden without them fitted. Another bike I own passed its MOT because we were able to remove the front brake light switch which was causing a short and leave the back one in circuit due to the age of the bike.

I'm sure the combined advanced age of bike & rider reassured him!

Dabz
24-04-06, 11:00 AM
sounds good, looking forward to mine in June :D

SkyJawa
24-04-06, 11:04 AM
I bet I get told I don't do enough lifesavers!!

GixerBoy
24-04-06, 11:07 AM
Sky,your be surprised,the bike cops are'nt big on them!

JamesHockley
24-04-06, 11:10 AM
I second that is worth while, I leanrt a lot and it is very odd doing 85 with a copper in tow and no blue lights!

On serious side it very handy and showed me that I need to calm down and relax a little and these tips have even helped me in the car on the way to London this morning!!

Coast! Coast!

BB
24-04-06, 12:22 PM
People will wonder what the code word is and it's Coast!

SkyJawa
24-04-06, 01:52 PM
Blackpool, Brighton or Bournemouth?

I'll get me coat................

Sinz1000K3
24-04-06, 06:24 PM
Sounds like a very helpfull day was had, will have to look into it myself in the future:)

Did they encourage you to go over 70 by chance?:D

BB
24-04-06, 10:22 PM

In our pre ride chat the copper said ride normally & relax. There were only two girlies there & we got lumped together, she was a fairy recent test pass & hadn't ridden much in the last few months and was a bit nervous so I was a little concious of her and being a bit cautious I must admit I kept within the speed limits as did she, (unusual for me out of town) which resulted in my riding being a little stilted and being critiqued for not taking an overtake and making progress.
In discussion with the rest afterwards it appeared they were all riding their normal style and speeds some of which was over 70!
This is why I'm thinking of just doing the assessed ride lagain later and riding normally!

JamesHockley
25-04-06, 08:52 AM
Sounds like a very helpfull day was had, will have to look into it myself in the future:)

I was doing anout 90mph, it was bit strange seeing a copper in the mirrors at 90mph and no blue lights!