PDA

View Full Version : 1st bike advice pls

p3t34
25-04-06, 02:48 PM
Known Dabz on here for the last couple of years through car forums, now im looking for a bike and he sent me here for some advice ;)

First prob being, i've NEVER ridden a bike before in my life, not even a 50cc or anything, so i have NO experience of riding a bike :(

I dont really wana do a full bike test as yet, as its a fair bit of money to me, and i dont wana complete the test to find out i dont really enjoy riding bikes, as its a fair bit of money to waste >:(

So my reckoning was that my best bet would be to do a CBT, and to get a 125cc bike to start with, just to see how how i enjoy it, and to gain some experience before moving onto a bigger bike if thats what i decide i wana do.

So next prob is what 125 to get, i know my way round cars, but when it comes to bikes i aint got a clue :(

From a bit of asking around, and looking on autotrader, i've come up with the following idea's: (bearing in mind i have about £1000-£1200 to spend on a new bike, maybe a little more, and want sumin as new and as fast as possible really ;D

Aprillia rs125
Cagiva Mito
Honda 125 cbr

From what i can understand the Aprillia rs125 + Cagiva Mito are both 2 stroke, and the cbr is a 4 stroke, with the 1st to bikes being around 30bhp, and the cbr around 12 bhp

But just seen this on autotrader and it seems a good buy ????

2001 HONDA NSR NSR125 R-Y 125 Rr,
17,000 miles, 11 months MOT. 2 month Tax. Recently replaced brake pads, clutch, tyres and wheel bearings. Few scratches and small dent in petrol tank. Rides well. Am selling to get bigger bike. Watford Area. Please call mobile. £1,100. ono

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=303927881

Basically im just looking for ALL the advice i can for someone totally new to bikes

Thanks for taking the time to read this :-[

GixerBoy
25-04-06, 02:50 PM
Rich rides a little bike,he'll help ya mate.......... ;D ;D ;D

Nokesy
25-04-06, 02:51 PM
After my CBT I was going to buy a 125cc to get experience before bike licence, but decided probably better to buy 500cc and learn on that as would quickly get bored of 125cc and I am not made of money. However, I was informed at the time that the 125's do hold their value well if you wanted to move on sooner than you thought. Nice bike tho!

Dabz
25-04-06, 02:53 PM
personally I would find someone to take you out on the back of a big bike and see if you like the feel of being on 2 wheels first of all

then I'd strongly consider that a 125 isn't going to be that quick and I know that with cars you like performance. For £1200 you could get a £500 bike, £200 on a jacket and boots and £500 on training

You could ride that 125 on a cbt alone, but is that adequate training to go out on the busy roads on 2 wheels? that's a bigger issue, but personally I think not...

in summary...what I did was got someone to take me out riding pillion, feel the power of 100+ horses on 2 wheels and you'll be hooked on big bikes ;)

p3t34
25-04-06, 02:54 PM
Another quick question, do bike value's change much around the year ????

ie are they harder to sell in the winter, and easier to sell for a better price in the summer, or are the prices pretty leval all year ???

Dabz
25-04-06, 02:55 PM
PS that NSR is a good looking bike! but be warned it doesn't sound as good as it looked being that it's only got a small engine. It's the 125 I'd go for though if I was buying one

GixerBoy
25-04-06, 02:56 PM
personally I would find someone to take you out on the back of a big bike and see if you like the feel of being on 2 wheels first of all

then I'd strongly consider that a 125 isn't going to be that quick and I know that with cars you like performance. For £1200 you could get a £500 bike, £200 on a jacket and boots and £500 on training

You could ride that 125 on a cbt alone, but is that adequate training to go out on the busy roads on 2 wheels? that's a bigger issue, but personally I think not...

in summary...what I did was got someone to take me out riding pillion, feel the power of 100+ horses on 2 wheels and you'll be hooked on big bikes ;)

Ditto! :)

onfire23
25-04-06, 02:57 PM
My Ist Bike was a Honda Hornet. Its up to you but you will only be changing from a 500 to a 600. From many of my mates experience a lot of them went downn the 500cc route and bought a 600 the following season.

SV650, Fazer 600 theres a lot of choice out there. Remeber plastics cost!

p3t34
25-04-06, 03:03 PM
Next question LOL

How much would i be looking at to do my full bike test, whats the process and whats invovled, and what kinda time scale ???

Dabz
25-04-06, 03:07 PM
most Direct Access courses are around £500 and can be done in a week! mine was:
sunday: CBT
monday/tuesday: out on 125s
wednesday/thursday: out on 500s
friday: test

I split mine over a few weeks though due to work...but most people do theirs in one go. that gives you at the moment a full licence to ride any bike...but beware they're looking to change the law soon to restrict what you can ride, so do it fast!

Guy
25-04-06, 03:07 PM
i had never really ridden before but did my test and sold my car now looking for

an r6 probably a bit mad but i will have lots of fun

R1chie
25-04-06, 03:18 PM
to start off thinking to stick to 125's is very sensible.

however, you will be bored with the bike in next to no time

how old are you? over 21?

i suggest, if you want to take gradual steps, to take your restricted test which will limit you to 33bhp bikes for 2 years (sports 400's etc), after which you'll automatically be granted a non restricted license to ride any size bike.

alternatively, you can do the direct access (giving you non restricted) and put a power restricter on your bike of choice and then take it off when you feel you can step up.

i had never even sat on a bike when i did a restricted license test (free through the army!!), didn't ride a bike for 2 years and then bought a 600.

it all depends how confident in yourself you think you are ie whether you can trust yourself not to rush too fast too soon.

so there are plenty of options for you mate, just decide which one is best for you. but as i said, the 125's (although good learner bikes) will quickly become boring which is why they have a big turnover in sales as people buy them then quickly get rid of them

blurbiker247
25-04-06, 03:20 PM
Hi mate, I've got a rd legal 125 i use for off rd, if you've never riden before id be happy to take you out into my mates field and get you going, I've done this for few people, it will get you on a bike and give you a chance to find out if you like it and won't cost anything, let me know and we'll fix a day.

p3t34
25-04-06, 03:22 PM
to be totally honest, i've been totally into cars all my life, and never had even the smallest interest in bikes, but my bro's just bought his 1st bike, and its suddenly made me realise why hav'nt i given these a go yet LOL, plus with summer coming up its the perfect time :D

I've just turned 21, so insurance is still a bit of a issue for me :(, which is one of my reasons for wanting to stick to a 125

p3t34
25-04-06, 03:24 PM
Hi mate, I've got a rd legal 125 i use for off rd, if you've never riden before id be happy to take you out into my mates field and get you going, I've done this for few people, it will get you on a bike and give you a chance to find out if you like it and won't cost anything, let me know and we'll fix a day.

Sounds like a top offer i'd be stupid to turn down, just give me a time and a place and i'll be there, im free ALL this week apart from friday, and free sat,sun and mon aswell

Thanks for the offer :D

blurbiker247
25-04-06, 03:45 PM
No problem mate, got to go now have to be in Salisbury for 430. this weekend sounds good, planning on going to the bike show I think thats Sat, i'll get me self sorted and be in touch.