PDA

View Full Version : mapping our whereabouts

rex_the_sprocket
26-04-06, 06:38 PM
Been playing around with Google Earth to see what is involved in showing where everyone lives.

If you haven't already used Google Earth before then you will need to intall it from earth.google.com.

Take a look at Google Earth Communities at http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/Cat/0

Search for Wiltshire Bikers and you should see an entry for us.

Click on the 'Open this placemark' to access the locations.

Now go into Google Earth, pan over to Swindon, and make sure you have checked the Google Earth Communities option in the 'Layers' list over on the left panel. You should see 6 shields displayed in the area with some of our locations - Rex, Mac, Steve, Sigg etc.

To save the data for future reference drag the entry (it will be a kmz file) in the 'temporary Places' into My Places.

BB
26-04-06, 07:24 PM
Hmm, that was an interesting exercise! It's a bit surreal when the planet starts turning & zooming in! Makes your eyes feel wierd!

Can anyone see the post codes?

rex_the_sprocket
26-04-06, 07:59 PM
Yes you will be able to see the postcodes but this was a temporary exercise to see if the technology works before deciding what to do next.

JamesHockley
26-04-06, 09:36 PM
Cool, sadley as I only have internet at work or at my mates house I can't install google earth. I will try and convince my mate where I stay when I work away to let me install it.

russ100
26-04-06, 10:42 PM
... check the link ....

www.wiltshire-bikers.co.uk is a website for all bikers living in the Wiltshire area to share ideas, hook up for rides and generally larking about.

BB
26-04-06, 10:47 PM
I smiled at that too! About sums us up!

russ100
26-04-06, 10:52 PM
cant help it - its part of my job :-? :)

R1chie
26-04-06, 11:12 PM
I smiled at that too! About sums us up!

i don't get it...........is it because the web address is wrong

or is it because the lack of people from the shire of wilt?

sorry, brain has been well and truly frazzled today...........too much work........and still not finished even at this time of night :-/

russ100
26-04-06, 11:18 PM
yep - address is wrong ....

BB
26-04-06, 11:20 PM
but it is also an extract from Google Earth where it names the group and goes on with a one liner which describes the organisation and its aims!

R1chie
26-04-06, 11:22 PM
aaaah

so i was close with 'hardly anyone in wiltshire and the wrong addy' then lol

Dabz
27-04-06, 08:53 AM
excellent work,that's really cool :P

rex_the_sprocket
27-04-06, 09:37 AM
yep - address is wrong ....
fixed...........doh

R1chie
28-04-06, 06:52 PM
I'm liking this google earth business

just found my 'luxury' residence where i stayed in Iraq last year

looks better from space though lol

ps is that all the members so far?

BB
28-04-06, 07:19 PM
Probably not! I for one have not sent Rex my post code! :)

rex_the_sprocket
28-04-06, 10:51 PM
I have more addresses (not many) but wanted to get some feedback from the masses before spending more time on this.

shall I continue or give up?

Scott_W
28-04-06, 11:12 PM
Carry on... I've just not had a chance to give you our postcodes. YHPM though with them.

Dabz
29-04-06, 09:03 AM
looking good :D

zebedee1984
29-04-06, 10:18 AM
sorry guys for my simple mind, are you guys giving rex the postcodes or do we need to give them over in a PM.

Snowy
29-04-06, 10:56 AM
Finally got it to work. When I tried the "open this placemark" link, my pc was looking for a program to open it with. I had to download the program, unzip it with Winzip and then run the program from my 'unzipped' folder on my pc. If anyone else is having similar problems finding the Wiltshire bikers community try the same thing.

Good work guys, I now have another program on the family pc my kids can hog. On a serious note - are our postcodes open to all and sundry outside of our community?

rex_the_sprocket
29-04-06, 06:09 PM
Yes the whole world can see the postcode.

We have 2 options....

1. Simply the addresses to the first half of the postcode so you get a general idea of where people live....the whole world can still see it but it is more generalised
2. Create a file of accurate addresses, phone numbers, etc (whetever you want to share with others) and email it to all for using on Google Earth on your local PC. Nobody else sees the data except you. This is very easy to do and is probably more useful to everyone.

Preferences?

BB
29-04-06, 06:14 PM
The post code I gave you is my work one which is about 1/2 mile from where I live but I felt that was close enough, being as I'm just a lonely old widow woman...

Dabz
29-04-06, 06:46 PM
option 2 sounds better..I do agree that we should be a bit careful about publicising our postcodes seeing as anyone visiting the site could see where we live and what bikes we have