PDA

View Full Version : Job help

R1chie
02-05-06, 10:38 PM
As some of you are aware, during the next 12 months I am planning to leave the Army for a career change as I am sick of people attempting to blow me up.

Basically I've had 9 years experience in the Royal Signals and I'm now looking for something in the telecommunications industry, predominantly R&D or Engineering

I'm hoping some of you have some contacts in 'civvy' world, particularly in the telecomms sector, which in exchange of chocolate hobnobs, I could send my CV to or pass on their details to me to follow up.

Mucho grassy ass for any help given.

I am now officially crapping myself :o

onfire23
02-05-06, 11:01 PM
As some of you are aware, during the next 12 months I am planning to leave the Army for a career change as I am sick of people attempting to blow me up.

Basically I've had 9 years experience in the Royal Signals and I'm now looking for something in the telecommunications industry, predominantly R&D or Engineering

I'm hoping some of you have some contacts in 'civvy' world, particularly in the telecomms sector, which in exchange of chocolate hobnobs, I could send my CV to or pass on their details to me to follow up.

Mucho grassy ass for any help given.

I am now officially crapping myself :o

Hi ...Have you considered the I.T. Industry plenty of SC jobs out there... Also you'll find you may get employed as a civy contractor by the MOD practicly doing same or similar job you're doing now, without the risk! 8-)

http://www.jobserve.com/ (hope adding this link is okay?)

Have helped out a lot of ex services guys / girls in my 10 yr career as IT Contractor.
Downside you can;t always be too picky job \location. Upside Money :) is generally very good.

Hope I am not going on too much...Lol! My sister is in the RAF in GIB supporting RAF I.T. Systems she will have no problem in civvy street. Don't panic... :o

Good Luck...
Tim 8-)

R1chie
02-05-06, 11:11 PM
cheers Tim, appreciate the advice

I'm willing to go into the IT sector. I wouldn't say i'm an IT expert by any means but I do use computers on a day to day basis, mainly on bespoke software (Bowman System).

If the job is good, I'm happy to do most things

onfire23
02-05-06, 11:25 PM
cheers Tim, appreciate the advice

I'm willing to go into the IT sector. I wouldn't say i'm an IT expert by any means but I do use computers on a day to day basis, mainly on bespoke software (Bowman System).

If the job is good, I'm happy to do most things

Small world, I had dealings with Bowman when I was at DSDC Ashchurch, they were looking for people a little while ago.

SkyJawa
02-05-06, 11:30 PM
Jobserve is a bit poo these days I used www.jobsite.co.uk - the ratio of calls between the two were about 90% through Jobsite and 10% through Jobserve. Another mate in IT found exactly the same thing.

Be careful of recruiters though - they are sh!t and just after making their commission and frequently put you forward for jobs which they say matches your skills but turns out it couldn't be further from the truth! Demand a job spec before you allow your CV sent off.

As I said mate - I work in telecomms, so drop me your CV and if anything pops up I can forward it on with your OK..............

onfire23
02-05-06, 11:38 PM
Jobserve is a bit poo these days I used www.jobsite.co.uk - the ratio of calls between the two were about 90% through Jobsite and 10% through Jobserve. Another mate in IT found exactly the same thing.

Be careful of recruiters though - they are sh!t and just after making their commission and frequently put you forward for jobs which they say matches your skills but turns out it couldn't be further from the truth! Demand a job spec before you allow your CV sent off.

As I said mate - I work in telecomms, so drop me your CV and if anything pops up I can forward it on with your OK..............

I agree with agencies, watch them there's a lot of Balls*****s out there. Got caught once! (Hays IT)Make sure you have your signed contract in your hand at the agreed rate before you start! Or you will find you have been dangled a carrot... You'll need a Ltd comp less tax bit more hassle or and unbrella comp less hassle more tax.

R1chie
02-05-06, 11:55 PM

thanks mate, i've just emailed you a copy.

No laughing!!

Dabz
03-05-06, 08:54 AM
there don't seem to be that many IT jobs in this area...or if there are then why can't I find them!

onfire23
03-05-06, 09:01 AM
there don't seem to be that many IT jobs in this area...or if there are then why can't I find them!

Whats your skill set? 8-)

Dabz
03-05-06, 09:10 AM
technical background (after uni), but doing project management and service/operations management at the mo...want to move into operations or service management but I'm stuck in a small company working for the SME sector :(

onfire23
03-05-06, 09:31 AM
Hmm Project Management can get little tidius, ever thought about contracting generally there are some well paid jobs in PM. You may need a proven track history!

Thants why I contract tend to gain a lot of knowledge very quickly by moving around.. ::) Oh and the X Bucks...

Good Luck!

Dabz
03-05-06, 09:39 AM
I've never like the idea of contracting from a stability point of view to be honest. PM is a bit boring, as is operations management but I'm beginning to wonder if I could make more money going that way than going in a technical direction

onfire23
03-05-06, 09:44 AM
No Job is forever :'( company takeover, outsourcing e.t.c

At a guess might be wrong ...you're on 4wk notice??

My longest contract was 5 years not bad eh! 8-)

Dabz
03-05-06, 10:17 AM
hehe cool, yeh I'm on 4wk notice! depending on pay review next week I may have to be looking anyway so will have a look at contracting

SkyJawa
03-05-06, 12:35 PM
CV received mate - its fine :)

I'll keep my eyes peeled :)

R1chie
03-05-06, 12:37 PM
Cheers buddy

BB
03-05-06, 07:04 PM
Good luck Richie - everyone deserves a job they enjoy!

R1chie
04-05-06, 12:03 AM
Thanks BB.........hopefully everything will work out in the end

Mouse
04-05-06, 03:20 PM
Dabz - have you got ITIl Service Management or Prince 2 qualifications? Most Service Management and Ops posts require them these days

Dabz
04-05-06, 04:12 PM
no i haven't but will look into them if you recommend them!