PDA

View Full Version : Wash Wash Polish Polish....

Icey
11-07-06, 04:02 PM
How often do you wash & polish your bike?

What do you use to wash it with?

What polish do you use?

I've just spent the last 2 hours washing and then polishing my chrome etc. My hands are now covered in autosol, but it was well worth it, considering its a 8 year old bike the chrome has come up really well!

I polished every bit of chrome I could see 8-) I now have a sparkly bike!

pete
11-07-06, 04:23 PM
The Deauville gets done about once a month, but the Hornet gets done very weekend. Usually give it a wash with water and washing up liquid, then leave it dry, polish the paintwork (with Mr. Sheen if I'm giving it a deep clean - it takes a lot of buffing to get the shine but it's worth it - otherwise with a colour matched polish from Halfords). Once that's done, I give the black bits a going over with a "Back 2 Black" car bumper polish to make them look like new, then do the chromed bits (not that there's many of them) with a standard polish, or Autsol if it's raining and I'm not itching to get out.

The Deauville gets a bucket of water thrown over it and that's about it, unless it's looking in a very sorry state.

Dabz
11-07-06, 04:33 PM
very rarely wash it, just keep it clean with wd40 (that works wonders on paintwork too by the way)

R1chie
11-07-06, 04:36 PM
wash the bike a minimum of once a week, but usually end up washing it after every 'decent' blast out

never polish it though

rex_the_sprocket
11-07-06, 04:43 PM
clean yer bike.................why would you want to do that? Given its italian it would only go rusty.

BB
11-07-06, 05:10 PM
Bikes are for riding not cleaning!

It only breaks your heart if you have it all sparkly & go out on sh*t roads and get it dirty!

BB

Icey
11-07-06, 05:16 PM
I'm better at cleaning it than I am at riding it :)

Can't be bothered to go and ride it :(

BB
11-07-06, 06:30 PM

Whaaat!?! Go and wash your mouth out Girl!!

What sort of biker are you? :o

BB

Rod
11-07-06, 06:39 PM
I wash it, when it's dirty or when I am going somewhere special. for paint I use autogly car polish and for chrome WD40, or solvo autosol thats a metal polish good for ally too.....Rod

Rod
11-07-06, 06:41 PM
British weather, I spend a lot of time cleaning!! (the bike, not the house!)

Sinz1000K3
11-07-06, 06:53 PM
Whats all this talk about washing ya bike?..whats involved again? what happen's if you perform said function?:D

Icey
11-07-06, 07:00 PM

Whaaat!?! Go and wash your mouth out Girl!!

What sort of biker are you? :o

BB

:-[ Not a very good one

BB
11-07-06, 07:04 PM
Well get out there and practice, get rid of those L plates & move up to something bigger then you can go on longer rideouts!

BB

Icey
11-07-06, 07:14 PM
Can do long rideouts on my bike :P Without discomfort :)

Haven't got the money to be taking DAS or A2 :o

BB
11-07-06, 07:21 PM
Not talking about discomfort, talking about having fun with friends.

My advice is get saving and go for it as soon as you can. If you don't do it now some legislation will come in and only make it harder.

Don't mean to lecture but its a sad fact of life, I'm afraid.

BB

Sinz1000K3
11-07-06, 07:23 PM
Certainly moved on since i passed my test, making it harder and harder(cough) to get a full licence these days.

Icey
11-07-06, 07:29 PM
Got awhile before the new legistations come into play, 2010 isn't it?

Why do I need a monster bike to be able to have fun tho?! Yes it would be nice to have a little more power, but it's just as fun as everyone elses bike!

BB
11-07-06, 07:44 PM
I'm not advocating a monster bike - most of my bikes are 350cc and they are the best of fun - small, light nimble, full of character. I wouldn't recommend the Bonnie unless you are into hauling weights!

I'm talking mostly about passing your test while you can, while it is relatively easy and before more stringent legislation comes in. It may be 2010 but that isn't so far away - time goes very fast and before you know it you have missed opportunities that you can really regret and the bike test could be one of them. When I was a teenager all you had to do was ride round the bloke without falling off & you passed, when I passed my test it was already a two part thing and now? Well you must know the hoops you have to jump thru!

I'm not getting at you and I know I'm just a boring old fogey just ranting on, but just do it, you won't regret it!

BB

b_1_rd
11-07-06, 08:00 PM
I know exactly what Icey means though, I managed to do my test out in Cyprus, which is considerably cheaper. It's not cheap now to get through any type of driving / riding test. Can’t help but feel the extra add-ons they keep throwing up are just to line someones pockets, not to improve safety.

Icey
11-07-06, 08:42 PM
^^^ Totally agree with that.

Just been out riding - feel better now :P

BB
11-07-06, 08:47 PM
Glad to hear it!

I know its not cheap, but it won't get any cheaper!

I'll shut up now

BB

Icey
11-07-06, 08:51 PM
I know - but at the moment due to crappy reasons I can't work - so therefore I have no money to save :(

I'm planning on saving up to take my A2, but it'll probably be next summer when I can take it.

blurbiker247
11-07-06, 08:54 PM
Not like me butt in on a thread, BUT,.....I beg to differ mate, when we went for that ride out I thought you did VERY WELL INDEED!!!!!

GixerBoy
11-07-06, 08:56 PM
I think the point that BB is trying to get across to you Icey is that with your restricted licence,you are restricted to where you can and can't go,take this weekends rideout for example.......No 'L' plates allowed on the motorway kid....... :o :'(

Icey
11-07-06, 09:00 PM
Yeah I understand that ;)

I'm not really restricted to where I can go anyway, I could easily make my own route from A & B roads, and to be honest I'd probably be happier doing that than riding on the motorway!

GixerBoy
11-07-06, 09:07 PM
Got awhile before the new legistations come into play, 2010 isn't it?

Why do I need a monster bike to be able to have fun tho?! Yes it would be nice to have a little more power, but it's just as fun as everyone elses bike!

Ok Icey,gonna have to stop you there......How many bikes have you ridden and have you ever ridden any of the other members bikes here on the forums?????
No,thought not so your probably wanna be changing that last line of yours then eh!! ::) :o ;)

GB.

GixerBoy
11-07-06, 09:12 PM
Yeah I understand that ;)

I'm not really restricted to where I can go anyway, I could easily make my own route from A & B roads, and to be honest I'd probably be happier doing that than riding on the motorway!

Go and read my post again young lady......Your dancing around what i said as you well know......Your obviously not interested in coming on rideouts ......Best you just stay in your little 125 world for ever then! :o :P :'(

Icey
11-07-06, 09:14 PM
Thank you.

ChrisW
11-07-06, 09:31 PM
What an odd bunch of replys :-?

Not interested in ride outs, little '125 world', bigger bike = more fun...

What happend to united front that was British bikers? :( Seems as though its not just the tests getting difficult that deters wanna-be riders, its the stigma attaced to L-Plates and small bikes, bit sad really, but there you go! Personally, just being on two wheels, what ever they may be, is more than enough to have a bit a laugh and an interesting ride-out (ok, so I've only done one, but it was 110miles! :) )

On a brighter note, why on earth would you want to use a motorway when on two wheels unless you really have to, they are boring enough in a car! You can get everywhere you want to on A and B roads, so what if it means doubling your journey time and getting well and truely lost....thats the whole idea! Thats what I plan on doing anyway :D 10 mile trip to Swindon appears to have taken two hours....oh well! ;D

I'm sure I'll be told that I should be quiet and listen to those more experianced, but, well, meh! Its all a learning curve, wheres the fun in cutting corners!

GixerBoy
11-07-06, 09:48 PM
As I'm sure you know by now Chris,i have PM'd Icey to clarify whats been said in this thread.....Your comments are only making matters worse plus you're actually talking about things that you know nothing about....'Getting lost' and 'the long way round' on an organized rideout isn't much fun when you've got 20 bikes behind you relying on you to get them to the conclusion of the route before the end of the week!!
I hate motorways as I'm sure most bikers do but sometimes they are a necessary evil,especially when approaching London.......And as a biker and truck driver for over 20 years you'd have thought that i'd know what I'm talking about by now!!

GB. (Mod)

BB
11-07-06, 09:51 PM
I know I said I’d shut up but…

All I was doing was trying to encourage Icey to move forward. If she is happy pottering around on her 125 forever and a day she can as far as I’m concerned. Oh, no hang on, you can’t do that any more can you? You have to take your test in a specified timescale I believe or you are off the road. So what would a test achieve? Maybe a sense of satisfaction of achievement and of not having to keep cycling through the CBT thing (whatever its called) with its associated expense - surly that makes the test worth doing? If you then don’t want to get rid of the 125 that is your choice. Iceys 125 would hammer one of my old bikes into the ground on speed brakes lights & handling – but I don’t care, I ride it ‘cos I like it.

If you read the route for the Ace we are only using a short stretch of motorway to make it easier, having the full licence gives us that choice.

I don’t attach any stigma to L plates and I think you will find that all of us on here have used them in the past and were pleased to get rid of them – whatever we ride nowadays.

BB

Icey
11-07-06, 09:59 PM
Oh and BB - I appreciate your encouragement - It means alot :)

HC8
11-07-06, 10:01 PM
How often do you wash & polish your bike?

What do you use to wash it with?

What polish do you use?

I've just spent the last 2 hours washing and then polishing my chrome etc. My hands are now covered in autosol, but it was well worth it, considering its a 8 year old bike the chrome has come up really well!

I polished every bit of chrome I could see 8-) I now have a sparkly bike!

Never ever wash the bike, it takes all the natural oils out of its coat

and breaks your nails :P

Dabz
12-07-06, 08:51 AM
back to the original subject, if you like washing and polishing then you can never do too much in my opinion, just remember to keep those metal bits sprayed with wd40 or similar to prevent corrosion.

I'd wash mine a lot more if I kept it at home...instead I spend my time keeping the car shiney :P

incidently, on the L plate subject, I wouldn't say there was anything wrong with riding on L plates other than the motorway thing, but if that doesn't bother you then there's no issue at all :) everyone has different priorities, and I'd say just keep getting more experience on the L's and then if/when you can afford a DAS or even normal lessons, go for it if you want :) we'll welcome you to our meets and rides whatever you ride...be good to see you at some (albeit not the ace cafe one due to the motorway sections)

Icey
12-07-06, 08:59 AM
I think I'm going to have to challenge you to a show n shine when my beloved is back on the road ;)

Dabz
12-07-06, 09:32 AM
sounds good hehe :P might convince some of the non-washers to give their bikes a clean too hehe

Icey
12-07-06, 09:33 AM
I'm talking cars :P

HC8
12-07-06, 09:46 AM
sounds good hehe :P might convince some of the non-washers to give their bikes a clean too hehe

absolutely no way, not a hope in hell :P

Icey
12-07-06, 09:47 AM
I'll do it for a £5 Karyn ;)

Oh and maybe a cuppa tea and a cookie aswell :D

RVFBabe
12-07-06, 10:03 AM
Scott W and I use Muc Off Cleaner (lovely pink stuff) and water to start with.
Then Muc Off Bike Spray which is a water dispersing, low dust attraction, non sticky protective surface spray :D