PDA

View Full Version : Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Fecking Nails

SkyJawa
09-04-06, 04:45 PM
Only had my bike a month - 2 brand new tyres on (its ok Mr Salesman I won't bother with the Tyre Insurance) and now I've got a FECKING screw slap bang in the centre of my rear tyre :(

Arse.

Not gonna bother replacing it, gotta get it plugged - other Ninja's seem to have done this loads and its fine - what do you lot think?

Then I gotta find somewhere to get it done before Friday or I miss the meet :(

BB
09-04-06, 05:29 PM
Bad luck, mate. >:( I'll probably get shouted down on this, but I believe it may depend on the speed rating of the tyre whether it can be done or not. Or maybe if you can persuade the tyre shop to do it!

SkyJawa
09-04-06, 05:31 PM
I guess - its a Dunlop 208 - loads of the Ninja lot say they've had it done and tested at 150+ *cough* ;) lol!! So that would be fine for me as I don't go anywhere near that speed!

Other question of course is where the heck do you go to get it done? Do I go to a Kwak dealer or can another place do it......?

R1chie
09-04-06, 05:38 PM
get it plugged mate

did it on my old J2 dunslip rear with no probs

obviously it depends on exactly where the nail is, but seeing that they are new tyres i would have thought it'll be ok

BB
09-04-06, 05:41 PM
Presumably anyone you know who has had it done is not local to you to ask. I would talk to the (hopefully) friendly local bike shop and see if they do it in house or if they outsource who they would recommend.

Amante_271
09-04-06, 05:44 PM
I had to get a car tyre done last week as had a neail in a nearly new Pirelli. I got it done at Arrow Tyres in Calne - 10 min job and holding up at legal(ish) speeds with no probs so far. Prob for you as I see it is that the profile is alot different on a bike tyre compared to a car! If theres shed loads of tread Id give it a go but Id be carefull for the first 100 miles "just in case"! If it feels funny (as the bung might sit proud of the tyre to start with before it wears at the same rate as the tyre) and your not happy, then you should change it, but its a case of nothing ventured, nothing gained!

zebedee1984
09-04-06, 05:46 PM
I had the same on my ninja when I was running Diablo Corsa' and the tyre lasted fine after, right through the speeding fine (and temp ban) so they can handle it at speed, only replaced them a few months ago. Obvisouly depends here on the tyre the scre went in though!

GixerBoy
09-04-06, 06:51 PM
Have had the rear plugged on mine before,(Diablo at the time) tested to the speed limiter,no problemo!

gravelrash
09-04-06, 06:59 PM
Nails are an arse!! picked one up on my bike on the way home from the showroom, less than 20 miles on the clock. Nail went in through tread out through side wall.

SkyJawa
09-04-06, 07:36 PM
Good stuff - gonna phone around tomorrow and try and find out where I can get it done!

The good news (if you can call it that lol) is that it went right in the middle of the tyre and dead straight! Its nowhere near the water channels etc, right slap bang centre! LOL! So should be good to fix. Just gotta get it sorted in time for Fri now which is gonna be tricky with work and stuff :(

BB
09-04-06, 07:37 PM
Good luck & fingers crossed. :)

Scott_W
10-04-06, 08:42 AM
Neil, that's a right pi55er! We'll have a chat later on to see if we can think of a way around this as you can't miss the meet on Friday as it could be our only day off from the decorating for RVFBabe and me.

RVFBabe
10-04-06, 09:47 AM
You're not having much luck since you've changed bikes :(

Hope you get it sorted by Friday :)

SkyJawa
10-04-06, 09:59 AM
You're not having much luck since you've changed bikes :(

Hope you get it sorted by Friday :)

Tell me about it - heres me staying in at weekends to try and save money to clear debts before heading to NZ and stuff like this keeps happening :(

benobiker
10-04-06, 10:00 AM
I think it has something to do with SOD and his laws

SkyJawa
10-04-06, 12:29 PM
Yeah and some dodgy git called Murphy :( lol

benobiker
10-04-06, 12:31 PM
yeah he is a pain in the rear aswell!! He is always interfeering with my lottery tickets....

SkyJawa
10-04-06, 01:10 PM
Well I've phoned a few places and they all say the tyre has to be sent off and its at least a week turnaround. Either that or you have to buy a new tyre and get the other sent off and if its repaired you end up with 2.

So pretty much looks like I'm fecked for Friday :(

benobiker
10-04-06, 01:55 PM
oh, now that is not funny.! I would be well pi55ed off with that. That is a total C U next Tuesday. I cant go either but that dont help you.. Total Bummer! Cant think of any solution or place that could do it quicker myself... >:( >:( :(

R1chie
10-04-06, 02:34 PM
Well I've phoned a few places and they all say the tyre has to be sent off and its at least a week turnaround. Either that or you have to buy a new tyre and get the other sent off and if its repaired you end up with 2.

So pretty much looks like I'm fecked for Friday :(

you need to find a decent place mate

when i got mine plugged (some honda dealer in Calne) i just rocked up and they did it there and then.

could be worthwhile to give micheldever tyres a bell. they could do it i reckon. they've even got a mobile unit in case you don't want to go to them

SkyJawa
10-04-06, 03:49 PM
Everywhere I phone says its a ZR rated tyre so its not recommended and no they don't do it :(

Micheldever I can't make it that far and the mobile is car tyres. How annoying is this....

R1chie
10-04-06, 03:51 PM
whip the tyre off and take it to a local dealer

ignore their zr talk, trying to get more money out of you

whereabouts do you live?

R1chie
10-04-06, 04:00 PM
http://www.ukbiker.co.uk/business_dir.php?dealerCounty=Surrey&order=2

SkyJawa
10-04-06, 04:23 PM
How do I get the wheel off mate - I don't think I have sockets big enough and being a complete noob don't want to put it back together wrong :( lol

benobiker
10-04-06, 04:29 PM
tries to think of a joke to cheer SkyJawa up this afternoon, will post a jelly baby joke in the muppet bit just now.

SkyJawa
10-04-06, 04:37 PM
Scott W has come up trumps.

Its a bit of a trek, but http://www.rideinbiketyres.co.uk/ Gave em a call and they'll do it no probs :D Wooooohoooooo!

I'll just be sure to ride there with a footpump and pressure gauge lol!

benobiker
10-04-06, 04:39 PM
HEY HEY, thats got to cheer you up just a tad laddie!!

Scott_W
10-04-06, 04:43 PM
Lol @ foot pump! :D

R1chie
10-04-06, 04:45 PM
lol

get pumping neil

SkyJawa
10-04-06, 04:58 PM
lget pumping neil

Mate - get yer mind outta the gutter - must sort the tyre first ;) :o ;D

SkyJawa
10-04-06, 04:58 PM
HEY HEY, thats got to cheer you up just a tad laddie!!

Aye - better when its fixed though! ;) :)

Bealesy
10-04-06, 05:00 PM
I'm sure Biketreads in Swindon where Gav works will do it, my bro-in-law has had waaaaay too many punctures from all sorts of crap in his back alley and they always do the biz, if not they may have a matching part worn untill u want/need to replace it.

Scott_W
10-04-06, 05:01 PM
Bealesy, unfortunately for Neil he's based in Guildford so to Swindon it's a rather long trip with a flat tyre! :D

Bealesy
10-04-06, 05:04 PM
Ah right :-[ lol

zebedee1984
10-04-06, 08:34 PM
I was going to suggest the same, as Biketreadssorted me out when I had my puncture.

zebedee1984
10-04-06, 08:34 PM
bealesy, were you out Saturday just gone, going through Wroughton?

SkyJawa
10-04-06, 09:07 PM
Bealesy, unfortunately for Neil he's based in Guildford so to Swindon it's a rather long trip with a flat tyre! :D

Yeah - bloody Wiltshire Bikers, fancy this site being no help ;) ;) ;) :P ;D

SkyJawa
10-04-06, 09:09 PM
Pumped the tyre up tonight - over 360 pumps on the old foot doofer :o

Got it to 42psi - left it 30 mins - down to 39. Left 3 hours down to 36. So fingers crossed I should get away with getting to Reading riding nice and sedate like. Worse comes to the worst I'll get it recovered there by the AA!

Scott_W
10-04-06, 09:12 PM
Over 360 pumps - I can't believe you counted!!!! Muppet! ;) :P :D

Yeah, and fancy this site not being of much help for a Surrey biker! Grrrr! ;D Perhaps we should set up our own site called Berkshire/Surrey Bikers! :D In fact, I'm off now to see if such a site does exist! :D

BB
10-04-06, 10:46 PM
Perhaps we should set up our own site called Berkshire/Surrey Bikers! :D In fact, I'm off now to see if such a site does exist! :D

You gonna be unfaithful to us?

SkyJawa
10-04-06, 10:47 PM
Over 360 pumps - I can't believe you counted!!!! Muppet! ;) :P :D

:-/ :-? ;D There was some method to the madness though :P

Scott_W
10-04-06, 10:50 PM
Perhaps we should set up our own site called Berkshire/Surrey Bikers! :D In fact, I'm off now to see if such a site does exist! :D

You gonna be unfaithful to us?

Nope! No such site exists so I'll just stick it out with you guys! :)

Neil, I believe you! :D

BB
10-04-06, 11:00 PM
That's because we are unique! :D

R1chie
10-04-06, 11:21 PM
That's because we are unique! :D

is that good or bad? ::) ;D

SkyJawa
10-04-06, 11:21 PM
Neil, I believe you! :D

Oi - there flipping was alright >:( :-/ ;D

Will explain in person - its easier :P

Gav
11-04-06, 12:24 AM
Dunno where ya from mate, but bike treads in swindon will do it not a problem.

Bealesy
11-04-06, 08:07 AM
bealesy, were you out Saturday just gone, going through Wroughton?

i certainly was, rode thru with a blue-white srad :)

Dabz
11-04-06, 08:35 AM
not meaning to pimp the competition, but there is a glosbikers forum...but only about 15 posts in total :P

Amante_271
11-04-06, 09:39 AM
not meaning to pimp the competition, but there is a glosbikers forum...but only about 15 posts in total :P

Ee-gads! I was curious so I went for a look and its an annagram of a fresh water fish called a CARP! You cant even see the whole page on the screen! Its not 15 posts - its 15 MEMBERS!

Poach away Dabz!

SkyJawa
11-04-06, 11:01 AM
Oi damn hijackers - git orf moi thread! :P

;D

Bealesy
11-04-06, 03:09 PM
I'm a member on there aswell as here.

SkyJawa
11-04-06, 03:31 PM
LOL! :D

R1chie
11-04-06, 03:35 PM
have you got the tyre sorted out yet or what the boy Jawa?

SkyJawa
11-04-06, 04:17 PM
No mate - I've been Gordon Gay Boy since the weather was crap today and used the cage! :P

Biking it tomorrow all being well and going straight there :)

SkyJawa
12-04-06, 12:24 PM
Wooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooo!

IT'S FIXED!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Mark @ http://www.rideinbiketyres.co.uk/ is a top bloke. Nice one Scott for the heads up.

Bring on Friday - yahooooooooooooo!

GixerBoy
12-04-06, 12:25 PM
Great news mate! :)

Scott_W
12-04-06, 12:32 PM
Wooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooo!

IT'S FIXED!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Mark @ http://www.rideinbiketyres.co.uk/ is a top bloke. Nice one Scott for the heads up.

Bring on Friday - yahooooooooooooo!

Excellent stuff! :D

We'll have to sort out the plans for Friday now.....

SkyJawa
12-04-06, 01:26 PM
8-) :D

BB
12-04-06, 01:55 PM
Glad to hear you are sorted! :D :D

nicko600
14-04-06, 11:51 AM
I use ultraseal, expensive but works a treat. Claims to permanently seal the tyre and prevent future punctures.

SkyJawa
12-07-06, 12:50 AM
And just to fecking rub it in, was out tonight for a blast with Scott and his mate, stopped for grub - come back and my FECKING REAR TYRE WAS FLAT. Picked up another goddam fecking nail >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I mean - WTF, someone really doesn't like me :( :'(

Completely ruined the ride - I was MILES from home, sod using the AA after it took em about 6 hours to rescue my bro-in-law the other week, so Scott popped to a garage and got some Tyreweld.

Made it home in about 2.5 hours :o crawling along at 30-40 mph all the way :(

Cheers for accompanying me back Scott, sorry the ride ended so cr4p :(

Scott_W
12-07-06, 08:54 AM
Neil it wasn't a problem mate. Just Murphy's Law kicking in to place, and as Craig said, if we had been over your neck of the woods it would have probably happened to him.

Oh well, we'll get out on them again soon! ;)

RVFBabe
12-07-06, 09:55 AM
Neil, I couldn't believe this when Scott told me about it :(

You have been so unlucky with your biking experience so far :'(

Better luck for the next ride out!

HC8
12-07-06, 10:01 AM
Only had my bike a month - 2 brand new tyres on (its ok Mr Salesman I won't bother with the Tyre Insurance) and now I've got a FECKING screw slap bang in the centre of my rear tyre :(

Arse.

Not gonna bother replacing it, gotta get it plugged - other Ninja's seem to have done this loads and its fine - what do you lot think?

Then I gotta find somewhere to get it done before Friday or I miss the meet :(

I used to work in a garage fitting and repairing tyres and yes its ok to get it plugged, its only a problem if the profile wall is compromised or if its slap bang in the corner part where it flexs when you lean the bike
if they try to tell you any different take it somewhere else, usual cost is between 10 and 20 squids.

good luck

HC8

SkyJawa
12-07-06, 12:08 PM
Well, it seems using Tyreweld means feck all can be done for the puncture, so its new tyre time - these have only been on since march :(

SkyJawa
12-07-06, 12:09 PM
Neil, I couldn't believe this when Scott told me about it :(

You have been so unlucky with your biking experience so far :'(

Better luck for the next ride out!

Cheers Nice :)

R1chie
12-07-06, 01:01 PM
magnetic tyre syndrome mate

HC8
12-07-06, 02:38 PM
Well, it seems using Tyreweld means feck all can be done for the puncture, so its new tyre time - these have only been on since march :(

No it means that somebody doesn't want to scrape out the tyreweld in order for the puncture to be repaired and balanced properly.

Scott_W
12-07-06, 02:42 PM
Too late now as he's currently at the tyre place getting a new set of rubber fitted. This is assuming he's managed to ride there w/out any problems! ;)

SkyJawa
12-07-06, 07:08 PM
No it means that somebody doesn't want to scrape out the tyreweld in order for the puncture to be repaired and balanced properly.

Not so actually - the chemicals penetrate into the rubber meaning they can't get/guarantee a good seal with the repair thus they won't risk your life with it - fair enough IMHO. And this bloke is not out to rip people off - as Scott will tell you as he's used him too.

SkyJawa
12-07-06, 07:09 PM
Oh PS - just scrubbing these tyres (BT014) in they feel soooo much better than the crappy Dunlop 208's infinity stuck on.