PDA

View Full Version : Mallory Park trackday report

desmojen
27-07-06, 10:05 PM
Hi all, just a few words about Mallory today :)

I took my ZX10R with me to use on track for the first time today. I've spent the last couple of days fretting and being apprehensive (my usual trackbike is a 400!) and generally being a big girls blouse!

Left home at 5-30 am and got to the circuit in plenty of time only to find all the garages full of hire bikes, and some bright spark has dug up all the power points! We found one solitary power point next to the old tower and managed to get a plug for our tyre warmers. Got all set up and trotted off for the briefing when the heavens opened, it absolutely pissed down! We then did the fastest wheel changes ever on Lee's gixxer to get him out in the first session on his wets.
I used his bike for the first run since mine has no wets :(
The novices did a nice job of sweeping the track for us and by the time I was up to go out again there was a drying line so I took the ten out and just trundled round keeping it nice and safe ;)
After that, the day just got hotter and hotter. I got settled in with the bike and had a whale of a time, absolutely bloody loved it :D

I honestly cannot believe that a standard stock unmodified bike has any right to be that good on track. I bettered my personal best lap of Mallory by half a second despite the fact that I was keeping a fair bit in reserve since I don't want to break my pride and joy.
I had one squeaky moment later in the day when I got the back tyre spinning up out of the Devils Elbow, the bike has a road legal can on and consequently it was all seat of the pants stuff since I could not hear the revs rise as the tyre started to let go. Checked the throttle a bit and we had a wee wobble before carrying on our merry way ;D

The last session was one of those rare occasions. We'd had a long stoppage because of an accident in the novice group. A lot of people packed up ready to go, which left the last session nice and empty, I had the track to myself for most of it.
I just had one of those sweet, sweet rides where I was totally in the zone, everything slowed down inside my head and the track just flowed. Beautiful stuff!
Unfortunately no-one was timing me so I can't prove it but I was going 7mph faster out of Edwinas than I had at any time all day ;)

So, awesome day had by all. Sorry if I've bored you with my banging on but I gotta tell someone! :P

Hope to add pics later if I get any decent ones :)

Jen. Sunburned and still buzzing!)

GixerBoy
27-07-06, 10:13 PM
Glad you had a great day Jen!! :)

Icey
27-07-06, 10:17 PM
Did you manage to get any pictures at all?

Sounds like you had an awesome day :) Glad you enjoyed it!

Foo
27-07-06, 10:56 PM
cracking report, when you said it was today I did wonder how you got on with the weather, glad it dried up for you :D

did you use the new chicane?

desmojen
28-07-06, 06:51 AM
Hi Foo,
No Limits don't use the new chicane, thank goodness! I don't know if you've used it yet but I have to say, it looks ****!
They did use it once but everyone hated it, they decided to use it because there were a lot of Bemsee racers out on that day who wanted to practice it. They binned it after two sessions apparently! ;D
I guess you'll be using it next weekend either way!

Icey, all our pictures came out a bit pants, the nice ones are the ones where we're not doing anything interesting, like coming into the pits! I'll have a look see what the circuit photographer has got :)

Jen.

R1chie
28-07-06, 08:03 AM
Sounds like you had a blast Jen, especially after everything dried up.

Rain on trackdays? Thats against the law isn't it??

b_1_rd
28-07-06, 08:16 AM
Nice Jen. Catch you soon. :)

desmojen
28-07-06, 08:53 AM
Sounds like you had a blast Jen, especially after everything dried up.

Rain on trackdays? Thats against the law isn't it??

I quite enjoy riding in the wet on track actually, apart from the getting wet bit!
At Snetterton a couple of months back I actually went quicker in the wet than I did in the dry! 8-)

Jen.

desmojen
28-07-06, 05:34 PM
Pretty unlucky for decent photos unfortunately :(
Here's a couple of links to the ones on the circuit guys webpage

http://www.reillystudios.co.uk/performanceart.php?p=PREV&id=361676&start=50

One of me at Edwinas

http://www.reillystudios.co.uk/performanceart.php?p=PREV&id=361697&start=75

Another at Edwinas. The rest are in there if you can be assed to scroll through.
Here's what Lee looks like on his track bike

http://www.reillystudios.co.uk/performanceart.php?p=PREV&id=361128&start=50

Jen.

Icey
28-07-06, 05:42 PM
Superb Pictures! Thanks for finding them!