PDA

View Full Version : dabz's toys leave the pram

Dabz
29-07-06, 11:14 AM
as posted:

you'd have thought a bunch of adults could cohabit an internet forum successfully....heaven knows how our peugeot forums with over 4000 members manages to exist despite the "106s are sh*t" "no, 206s are gay" comments

I'm fed up with babysitting, I'm younger than most people on these forums and don't wanna have to be some kinda father figure. Probably just in a bad mood this morning but still - if this post disappears later then you'll know I'm in a better mood

either people on here put up with the adult banter and piss taking, or they leave. I can't force them to do either. Either way it's my money and mac's money that's being played with. If everyone leaves, fine, it saves me money each month that I can use for more petrol money. If people stay, fine, maybe we can go back to having some damn fun ride outs

over to the members...

bazzashazza
29-07-06, 11:18 AM
too right! everyone needs to calm down and have a big group hug :D

blurbiker247
29-07-06, 11:24 AM
>:( a wots bin going on >:( I'm feeling left out >:( why has no one taken the piss out of me >:( spos you all think your better than me a A >:(

;D ;D

Your dead right Dabz. you tell'em

R1chie
29-07-06, 11:26 AM
>:( a wots bin going on >:( I'm feeling left out >:( why has no one taken the piss out of me >:( spos you all think your better than me a A >:(

lmao ;D ;D :D ;)

http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1154127079

HC8
29-07-06, 12:53 PM
as posted:

either people on here put up with the adult banter and piss taking, or they leave. I can't force them to do either. Either way it's my money and mac's money that's being played with. If everyone leaves, fine, it saves me money each month that I can use for more petrol money. If people stay, fine, maybe we can go back to having some damn fun ride outs

over to the members...

Here here, its about time someone said it :) :) :)

if people want nice and pc (politically correct) go see the gay/lesbian afro/asian lottery grant funded ruffled feather smoothing and ego stroking society at www.getalife.com (NOT a real url - just in case, for those mentally challenged)

R1chie
29-07-06, 12:54 PM
there isn't any lesbians on that link.............you sure thats the right address ;)

blurbiker247
29-07-06, 12:55 PM
;D ;D ;D think i'll jion and pissem all off ;D ;D ;D

blurbiker247
29-07-06, 12:56 PM
there isn't any lesbians on that link.............you sure thats the right address ;)

Your just a BAD BOY,...............if you find any can you post me ;)

HC8
29-07-06, 01:01 PM

Its not meant to be a real link - gawd

trust you and Blue to go looking for real lesbians or was it the gay site you were really wanting . . . . . . ;D ;D :P :-*

R1chie
29-07-06, 01:04 PM

trust you and Blue to go looking for real lesbians or was it the gay site you were really wanting . . . . . . ;D ;D :P :-*

not at all...............I don't drop anchor in Poo Bay thank you very much

HC8
29-07-06, 01:07 PM

not at all...............I don't drop anchor in Poo Bay thank you very much

Yuck. Stop there.

Mind you my dippy mother bought Brokeback Mountain thinking it was a walt disney film roflmao ;D ;D ;D ;D

blurbiker247
29-07-06, 01:10 PM
Oi its no good you :P and :-* you need to be carefull, first it became part of the sex education corickleum ( I know but you know what I mean) then it was made legal, at this rate its gonna be feckin compulsary soon :-/ :-[ :o

Sinz1000K3
29-07-06, 01:41 PM
Lesbianism compulsory?..WOOHOO!!:D

blurbiker247
29-07-06, 02:09 PM
Followed VERY fast by voyeuism, not complusary, but hay I would'nt have to be dragged screamin :o ;D ;D

Icey
29-07-06, 02:29 PM
as posted:

over to the members...

if people want nice and pc (politically correct) go see the gay/lesbian afro/asian lottery grant funded ruffled feather smoothing and ego stroking society at www.getalife.com (NOT a real url - just in case, for those mentally challenged)

It's not all about being PC and nice really tho is it.

bazzashazza
29-07-06, 03:06 PM
my word this has veered waaaay off the subject ;D

b_1_rd
29-07-06, 04:11 PM
as posted:

over to the members...

It's not all about being PC and nice really tho is it.

So what is it then. How far do we take it, do we allow men v women comments, but not bike v bike. It's difficult. I know, I mod on another forum, but thats the idea of moderators, to moderate. If its over the mark it gets removed and the author PM'd to explain why, if its close to the line, then a comment to the effect of 'cool ya jets, kid' should be enough. If someone is insulting and it can't be sorted between the two parties, use the Administrators / Mangement to cast their wand and ease the situation. Surely, if a subject is not your cup of tea or you no logner like whats being said the most effective way is to comment no further and move on to something else.

You can't gag people just because of something they say isn't liked by everyone. It would be like walking on egg shells.

Again, this isn't an attack on yours or anyone elses opininon, but I feel banter is the foundation/basis of a forum, not just this one, any forum and frankly if it wasn't there, and on some it isn't, I don't use it. You and I both use the BCF forum. I personally find that one isn't a patch on this one because there is no banter in the South West bit anyway. I find IT boring. Hence I don't go in very often.

Anyway enough harping on, lets just enjoy what we all have, and thats a forum that works, because of the input from everyone, and the hard effort of all the Staff. :)

Icey
29-07-06, 04:41 PM
Maybe I shouldn't be here then.

nicko600
29-07-06, 04:48 PM
If more people in this country accepted responsibility for their actions instead of blaming a poor childhood; bad parents; wrong crowd; teacher didn't give me any stars; my trousers have a hole in them etc. etc. then we could say things that others might not agree with, but surely that is the basis for discussion. I don't want the thought police here, there or anyfugginwhere. Peoples human rights allow freedom, in thought, speech and especially what they ride, without the need for compulsory leg protectors, air bags on bikes, power restrictions or the like.

Thought I just join in a rant, kinda refreshing really.

ChrisW
29-07-06, 05:11 PM
Oh dear....forum politics!

If theres one thing I've had to deal with on the internet in the past is forum politics!

The word 'Banter' is slung about like its a good thing. In reality, on an open forum, it very rarely is.
For 'Banter' to work there has to be in-jokes, with in-jokes comes the cliques, when there are cliques new/iregular users feel excluded.
When people feel excluded, they become excluded as they no longer want to join in. Then you are left with a single 'core' of users, or a clique which is difficult if not impossible for anyone new to enter into.

Unfortunatly preventing said clique from forming is neigh-on impossible on a 'local' forum as there will always be small groups of users who see more of each other than anyone else. If a clique involves moderators/admin then you may was well just restrict it to invitation membership only as you will run into the same issues over and over again.

But then, apparently, as I've been told on here, I don't know anything.......

R1chie
29-07-06, 05:18 PM
good post Chris, but surely being a local forum it'll be far easier to stop any cliques forming. its not as if we are all at opposite ends of the country.

you are right in saying the core users will have in jokes and that is something which is inevitable. but all it needs is a bit of get up and go from people to make the effort to meet up with the other members on the site when people arrange meets/rideouts and get more involved. the invitations are there.....people just need to take them up.

admittedly, i've been a bit slack recently with not meeting up with peeps, but i'm a geordie............everyone likes geordies..............don't they??

Again......good post

ChrisW
29-07-06, 05:35 PM
Its a catch 22...

When a single group becomes very close, it becomes difficult for new people to enter into the group. The more effort you have to put in in order to become a part of this group, the less people are willing to try...so the tighter the original group becomes.

You also have to remember that what one person finds funny, another will find offensive.

Take Icey as an example, I'd imagine if people kept on about her 'only' having a 125 and how slow she must be, she would soon fail to see the funny side and give up posting.
I'm sure some people would say this is fine, we don't need people who are easily offended.....but its impossible for someone inside the 'clique' to judge properly what is and isn't offensive to those outside simple because you don't know them.

So basically, people within the small ready-formed groups need to be a little more considerate to those outside, but thats not as easy as it sounds.....

b_1_rd
29-07-06, 06:14 PM
Maybe I shouldn't be here then.

What! Where did that come from!

R1chie
29-07-06, 06:22 PM
You also have to remember that what one person finds funny, another will find offensive.

of course mate, thats life surely. If everyone was the same then life would be extremely boring. Obviously no one wants to offend, but on the other hand, nobody wants to be stifled when they want to write about something.

Take Icey as an example, I'd imagine if people kept on about her 'only' having a 125 and how slow she must be, she would soon fail to see the funny side and give up posting.

Is that what has been happening? Can't say I've noticed anything to be totally honest

everyone has been there or thereabouts in their biking education

b_1_rd
29-07-06, 06:47 PM
Oh dear....forum politics!

If theres one thing I've had to deal with on the internet in the past is forum politics!

The word 'Banter' is slung about like its a good thing. In reality, on an open forum, it very rarely is.
For 'Banter' to work there has to be in-jokes, with in-jokes comes the cliques, when there are cliques new/iregular users feel excluded.
When people feel excluded, they become excluded as they no longer want to join in. Then you are left with a single 'core' of users, or a clique which is difficult if not impossible for anyone new to enter into.

Unfortunatly preventing said clique from forming is neigh-on impossible on a 'local' forum as there will always be small groups of users who see more of each other than anyone else. If a clique involves moderators/admin then you may was well just restrict it to invitation membership only as you will run into the same issues over and over again.

But then, apparently, as I've been told on here, I don't know anything.......

Banter is a good thing and no there doesn't have to be in-jokes, thats why it works. There are very few in-jokes on here, everyone is able to comment on almost everything on here. The only insider subjects that arise are those after a meet or a ride out. I don't see any cliques on here, there are a few that like to ride together, the guys on sports bikes i.e. the Gixers and ZXs and Blades etc etc have those bikes cos they want to ride a bit quick, or alot quick for some ;) but they aren't a clique, they come to other ride outs and ride along with those who don't want to go so quick.

As I said before, if yu don't like that particular subject then don't go in it, or stop posting in it. But it would be a shame if people left just because of one thread that they don't like. Theres a whole forum out there to look at and contribute to.

mike
29-07-06, 08:10 PM
I've only found this forum recently, and (although I haven't read every thread) I haven't seen anything particularly offensive. I am on a few other forums where there is offensive stuff, and I just don't bother looking at the stuff. I would find it offensive to see piss taking of someone on a smaller bike, as there's no need for it and it is only really benefitting the piss taker's ego.

Some other forum's do seem to have a lot of sexism & homophobia which is usually spawned from the author's own fears and self inadequacy, and these things seem to be thought of as a bit of a laugh, whereas racism at least seems to be seen by the majority as ramblings of dumbasses, and rightly so.

Whilst hating the above 'isms', censorship is not a good road to go down, as that road leads to the moderator becoming god and deciding what others should be able to read or not. Better to argue the case if you don't agree, although saying that, this often ends up with exchanges of silly insults and threats etc! Difficult one eh?

Just my twopenneth worth. I'll just get my coat...

desmojen
29-07-06, 08:44 PM
Its a catch 22...

When a single group becomes very close, it becomes difficult for new people to enter into the group. The more effort you have to put in in order to become a part of this group, the less people are willing to try...so the tighter the original group becomes.

I'm sure some people would say this is fine, we don't need people who are easily offended.....but its impossible for someone inside the 'clique' to judge properly what is and isn't offensive to those outside simple because you don't know them.

So basically, people within the small ready-formed groups need to be a little more considerate to those outside, but thats not as easy as it sounds.....

I'm new here and so far have declined to comment too much in this thread because of that, after all, I hardly know any of you!
I have to say though, I can't see where you're coming from with that at all? You have just single handedly picked Icey out and written that she is slow and has a 125 as if that makes her a lesser forum member! Not only that, although I've been here only a few days, I have read a lot of the older threads and can see no evidence of anything even remotely like that having gone on, or of any cliquey behaviour :-?
What I have seen is probably one member who comes across as a bit gobby and says things how he see's them.
Personally I have no problem with that because I will happily return the compliment :-*
I think a few people perhaps need to grow up a bit and stop taking things personally. Just remember, mostly people don't have the balls, even on a computer, to blatantly insult another person, therefore, you can consider most apparent insults to be jokes or sarcasm.
If you can't hack a bit of backchat on a forum how on earth are you going to cope out there in the car park when someone makes a comment about your chicken strips, or the fact that your bike is obviously **** because it's not the same as theirs!
At the end of the day, if someone pisses you off all you need to do is tell them so, either on forum or by PM. It aint hard people.

Jen.
(Hard hat on and running for cover!)

evilkeneval
29-07-06, 09:33 PM
I've not been here long, i joined in hope of being able to be part of the ride outs and join into the biking comunity in the area as i enjoy riding a lot and don't have many friends who share the same passion.
I've not once felt unwelcome, nor been unhappy with any content on this site. :)

GixerBoy
29-07-06, 11:56 PM
What I have seen is probably one member who comes across as a bit gobby and says things how he see's them.
Personally I have no problem with that because I will happily return the compliment Jen.

[/quote]Your gonna need more that a hard hat when i get hold of you goddamit!!! :o ;D :D ;)

Amante_271
30-07-06, 12:39 AM
I dont want to sound a wimp but I took a certain amount of flack for not having a bike on the road! A "biker" without a bike? Well as I keep bleeting on about the fact Ive now got a bike, BUT why shouldnt I OR ANYONE else be excluded from things for having a love of bikes even if they dont currently own a bike!

I personally think Icey is an asset to the forum as she is ALWAYS fun, bouncy, and a good giggle! Shes ALWAYS up for a larf! Good young blood in every sence! We need to encourage these people who are starting out not say "Push off, you ride a scooter/slow-ped" (force of habit - slaps own wrist!) "We only want big boys here!!"

We all share the same love of bikes and the thrill of twisting the throttle and feel the bike rise up and pull you off into the sunset! (Removes Rose tinted glasses, but you all know what I mean!) What does it matter in the grand scheme of things if you ride a 49cc moped or a 2300cc monster either which way its all the same. Who says size matters.... on a bike at least!

As I said before Dabz and Mac do a ****ing excellent job (as with all the Staff!) so lets keep them happy and they will do their best to keep us happy. Cut the crap and lets have some fun! If you dont like it - ignore it & if you do like it - JOIN IN...but just be carefull!!!

HC8
30-07-06, 09:34 AM
Its a catch 22...

Jen.

Excellent Jen ;D ;D Nail - Hammer - Head

And i've certainly never seen posts about Icey being slow and only having a 125, the only thing i can't think of that your alluding to was GB's post ages ago (when planning the ace cafe rideout i think ) regarding her restriction to non motorway roads, which in turn restricts either her ability to go on ride outs - coz lets be fair you can't always avoid motorways or where the rideouts go to avoid motorways.

Dabz
30-07-06, 09:49 AM
wellby the looks of these posts, my small toys-out-pram moment has done the trick :P let's just all enjoy our common interest in biking :D

Foo
30-07-06, 10:27 AM
Jesus, I didn't realise what a bunch of moaning old git's you were ;) the sun's out, it's warm and this weather ain't gonna last all year!

ChrisW
30-07-06, 10:39 AM
Its a catch 22...

Jen.

Excellent Jen ;D ;D Nail - Hammer - Head

And i've certainly never seen posts about Icey being slow and only having a 125, the only thing i can't think of that your alluding to was GB's post ages ago (when planning the ace cafe rideout i think ) regarding her restriction to non motorway roads, which in turn restricts either her ability to go on ride outs - coz lets be fair you can't always avoid motorways or where the rideouts go to avoid motorways.

Icey was an example of what could happen not what has happend. Same as the other 'points' I have made, they arn't forum specific, its just what happens on forums.....

desmojen
30-07-06, 11:18 AM
My point was, by making Icey an example of what could happen you are just making it more likely to actually happen.
Anyway, what's the point in citing general forum eg's, were talking on this one so this is the one examples should be gleaned from!

Jen.

Snowy
30-07-06, 09:16 PM
When I joined this forum I had zero experience of all the do's and don't's of forum life. On occasion I made the odd faux pas and got flamed but I'm a big boy and can take it. What made me interested in WB was that it is a community style forum and not bike specific. I can take the BMW jibes, after all, 20 years ago I would never have dreamed one day I would own one. But I don't want to discuss my bike particularly on this forum - it's irrevelant and I participate in other forums for that purpose. In retrospect I wish I could change my nickname to something more creative but hey ho. I wasn't going to post on this forum that my bike was rear-ended last week since it happened in a carpark and I wasn't anywhere near it at the time, but I will use the BMW tech forums with any fixing help I may need for that. But we should all wish BB, Steev and Icey well after their recent experiences because life is precious and isn't that more the point of this forum?

Of the few meetings I have been able to join, it's been enjoyable, friendly and worthwhile. I'm sure many of the comments made so easily on a computer keyboard wouldn't be made face to face and that's why the meets are so important to take the sting out of some of the more personal remarks that are so easily made in cyberspace.
Taking the ACE cafe run as an example - how many other 'clubs' that went that day could boast such diversity? It's that very diversity which results in the odd clash on the forum, but it's worth fighting through all that for all the good things WB can provide.

blurbiker247
30-07-06, 09:20 PM
Here here, gets my vote :)

Snowy
30-07-06, 09:23 PM
Still waiting to hear about your forfeit Blue for missing the ACE ;) ;) Have management had the internal enquiry yet?

blurbiker247
30-07-06, 09:26 PM
:-[ Shhhhhhhh I think everyone been a bit busy and forgt ;)

Snowy
30-07-06, 09:29 PM
Sorry my friend but it was your own punishment proposal....

R1chie
30-07-06, 09:53 PM
When I joined this forum I had zero experience of all the do's and don't's of forum life. On occasion I made the odd faux pas and got flamed but I'm a big boy and can take it. What made me interested in WB was that it is a community style forum and not bike specific. I can take the BMW jibes, after all, 20 years ago I would never have dreamed one day I would own one. But I don't want to discuss my bike particularly on this forum - it's irrevelant and I participate in other forums for that purpose. In retrospect I wish I could change my nickname to something more creative but hey ho. I wasn't going to post on this forum that my bike was rear-ended last week since it happened in a carpark and I wasn't anywhere near it at the time, but I will use the BMW tech forums with any fixing help I may need for that. But we should all wish BB, Steev and Icey well after their recent experiences because life is precious and isn't that more the point of this forum?

Of the few meetings I have been able to join, it's been enjoyable, friendly and worthwhile. I'm sure many of the comments made so easily on a computer keyboard wouldn't be made face to face and that's why the meets are so important to take the sting out of some of the more personal remarks that are so easily made in cyberspace.
Taking the ACE cafe run as an example - how many other 'clubs' that went that day could boast such diversity? It's that very diversity which results in the odd clash on the forum, but it's worth fighting through all that for all the good things WB can provide.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/richie653/eusa_clap.gif

Snowy
30-07-06, 10:04 PM
Meaning?

R1chie
30-07-06, 10:05 PM
well said

(thats meant to be an applauding icon there btw)

Snowy
30-07-06, 10:11 PM
Phew. Looked more like a 'blowing hot air' icon and that I had offended again.

Scott_W
31-07-06, 08:44 AM
Graeme, you can change your screen name within your profile to say just Graeme if you want.

Snowy
31-07-06, 12:02 PM
Thanks Scott - done! Now I won't get any stick from anyone will I? ;D ;D

Scott_W
31-07-06, 12:06 PM
No worries Graeme. As for the stick, well, we'll see on that! ;)

Dabz
31-07-06, 12:12 PM
doesn't look like you now though :P

blurbiker247
31-07-06, 01:19 PM
Graeme, you wanted to change yer name, how about Condalisa Graeme ;D :P

Snowy
31-07-06, 10:57 PM
OK Blue you got me - why Condalisa?