PDA

View Full Version : What a day.......

GixerBoy
30-07-06, 12:17 AM
Me and Steev went off to Aylesbury yesterday to get his bike dyno'd.......This is how we got back.......

Icey
30-07-06, 12:18 AM
****, it really is the day for it.

What happened?

Everyone ok?

GixerBoy
30-07-06, 12:27 AM
My bike blew 6th gear just as we got there and while i was on the way back with the recovery truck,got a call from Steev saying he'd binned it just down the road in front of us so we stopped on the way and chucked his bike on too!!
As you can see from the pic,Steev is fine which is more than i can say about his leathers which burst there seems in about 5 of 6 different places........Frank Thomas,we are not impressed!!

Icey
30-07-06, 12:28 AM
Glad your both okay!

GixerBoy
30-07-06, 12:30 AM
Now if you look at the furthest point on this picture,that is the point where Steev came off.....The point where I've taken the picture from is where the bike eventually stopped!!!

GixerBoy
30-07-06, 12:31 AM
Thanks Icey......Its gonna work out a very expensive day! :'( :'(

b_1_rd
30-07-06, 12:34 AM
Hell matey! Not good! glad Steev is OK. Anything I can do.....etc etc you know the rest.

GixerBoy
30-07-06, 12:35 AM
Cheers mate! :) (You can come and take this bastard engine out for me if you like!!) :'(

Amante_271
30-07-06, 12:57 AM
Dont say that he will put a Kwaka engine back in its place!! ;D

Sorry to hear about your probs and Steevs off. how much is the repairs likely to cost - ball park? Insurance jobs?

Any idea why the 6th gear went?

Icey
30-07-06, 07:44 AM
Will you be doing the work yourself GB? If so would you mind getting some pictures - would love to see some documentation!

desmojen
30-07-06, 08:28 AM
Oh dear :-/
Sorry, I don't seem to be able to stop laughing! ;D

Does that mean you aren't going to Mallory after all GB? I guess you could just use 5 gears? Or did you break it properly? If you need a hand give us a shout eh ;)

Jen.

P.S. Glad you're ok Steev, but what the hell are you doing coming off on a straight????? Bike doesn't seem too badly damaged considering how far it slid!

HC8
30-07-06, 09:12 AM
Oh dear :-/

Funny that Jen, same ere ;D ;D ;D Glad your both ok, and Steve if you need anything rubbing better . . . . . . ;)

Dabz
30-07-06, 09:56 AM
glad steev's ok! geez, he must have slid for aaaages. makes me wonder if my draggin jeans would actually be as good as they're mant to be if the same happened to me..may have to buy that 2piece afteall.

how long you reckon yours will take to fix GB?

Foo
30-07-06, 10:19 AM
my god you lot, will you please stop falling off!!!

glad everyone is up and about and bike's will cost, but not hurt too much to mend!

GixerBoy
30-07-06, 11:45 AM
[quote author=desmojen link=1154215067/0#10 date=1154244515]Oh dear :-/

Does that mean you aren't going to Mallory after all GB? I guess you could just use 5 gears? Or did you break it properly? If you need a hand give us a shout eh ;)

Jen.

Well it does looks like I won't be going to mallory :'(
It does drive in the other 5 gears but there's 'bits' floating around in the box making noises even on tickover so thats that.
Gonna pull the engine myself and then get some advice on repairing or replacing the gearbox. :'(

Icey
30-07-06, 11:48 AM
Make sure you get the camera out then :D

That'll be an interesting job to do!

GixerBoy
30-07-06, 11:51 AM
Yeah,can't wait..... :( :'(

desmojen
30-07-06, 12:01 PM
So is it going into 6th then or not. If it sounds like there's bits floating around you must have bust the gear itself I'd have thought. Not a hard job to slap a new gear in if that's the case.

I'd offer you a backy but you know how it is! Maybe someone else with a more comfy bike could take you, or book something out for a days test ride! ;)

Jen.

R1chie
30-07-06, 12:10 PM
Now if you look at the furthest point on this picture,that is the point where Steev came off.....The point where I've taken the picture from is where the bike eventually stopped!!!

where's the speed camera?

how much damage to steev's bike?

when are you buying a ZX10? ;)

Scott_W
30-07-06, 12:23 PM
GB, I hope you get the bike sorted out soon and that it doesn't cost too much.....

Steev, any of the bruises appeared yet? Mine started to appear the day after and I had some cracking ones! Anyway, I'm glad to read that you are OK though. What is the damage to the bike?

GixerBoy
30-07-06, 12:23 PM
It goes into 6th and just spins!!
Could goe the demo route but would rather not.....
Steevs bike is pretty superficail really,stayed on its side the whole way,tho the frame is scraped so I expect they'll right it off.......He wants the new Fazer anyway!
Never Richie....Give it up dude!
Heres a blow up of the slide picture.......Camera way back there on the right.....

desmojen
30-07-06, 12:31 PM
If it goes into 6th then you know it's not a selection issue, so that means one of the gears has either broken, or is spinning on it's shaft, hopefully the former because that way you won't need a whole new shaft. You could have that fixed by saturday if you got on with it instead of sitting here waffling about it!

Jen.

GixerBoy
30-07-06, 12:37 PM
Alright,alright,i'm going...... :( :'( (Goddamn woman,pushing me around...... :()

desmojen
30-07-06, 12:42 PM
Well I am sorry, but I was looking forward to this ride out dammit! >:(

Jen.

RVFBabe
30-07-06, 01:11 PM
Steev - sorry to hear this but at least you're ok.

It's a sad sight seeing the bike on it's side on a breakdown truck. The metal noise of it being pulled up is enough to make you cry. We had this when Scott wrote off our first Thundercat :'(

GixerBoy
30-07-06, 03:20 PM
Right,since I was told in no uncertian terms to 'get my ass out into the garage' I did!
Unfortunately there is a special 'nut' holding the engine in at the rear that needs a special Suzuki tool so the motors gonna have to stay put untill tomorrow. :(

ChrisW
30-07-06, 05:10 PM
God they look pathetic without the fairings on! ;D

blurbiker247
30-07-06, 05:14 PM
:-[ what a bummer for you both, at least you OK and its only bits of metal that have been broken.
If either of you wanna use my Hysung 125 while yours is of the Rd thats fine by me as long as you don't cook the engine GB or chuck it down the Rd Steve, thats if you can handle the power ;D ;D

Maybe you should both be MADE to ride it for a couple of weeks for being,........just a little bit MENTAL!

b_1_rd
30-07-06, 06:02 PM
It's good to see one stripped down, I think modern sports bikes they are quite a work of art underneath all the plastic! Shame in the circumstances why she is stripped but still. :) (and I'm not taking the p*ss before anyone starts)

Steev
30-07-06, 06:12 PM
Cheers for all the concern guys, Yeh Scott there are a good few bruises coming up now, Left arm cant raise very high, large one on back, two on my left ribs, both thighs and my arse (that ones for you HC8). All my fingers and particularly my left thumb ache allot. Oh and Dabz if your planning to come off at speed you will need leathers mate, mine were only a couple of months old and only just held together. The knee gave up on the inside stretchy bit and I have a big patch of road rash there. As far as coming off on a straight is concerned, it wasn’t as simple as that I came round that corner at the start of the straight in excess of 100mph ( I had just got the bike set up it was going particularly well) saw the speed camera and grabbed a rather large handful of front brake. I left a skid mark about ten feet long before the marks on the road and must of hit the road at about 70 to 80 MPH. If the camera went off it will have taken me going down the road feet first on my stomach at about 70 mph.

Although I got away with this remarkably lightly it still ****ing hurt at the time and even more so know. I will never get on a bike again without full leathers on and that includes decent gloves. I have had my moment of clarity when I got up this morning with my 2 year old son and realised that moment very nearly didn’t happen. Will this change the way I ride? probably not, but I wont be trying to shave off 70 mph in a few feet for a ****ing speed camera I will just take the points or ban. I thought they were supposed to save life’s not cause accidents. As you can see it doesn’t cover a junction or anything it is there purely to catch people coming round the bend onto a huge straight.

Any way thanx again for the concern guys and I will probably see you soon on my shiny new Fazer thou.

I will post a few pics of the shabby leathers soon.

b_1_rd
30-07-06, 06:22 PM
Good to hear from you Steev, not good about the leathers! But like you say, good job you had some on.

Your right, that camera is just a money making machine. >:(

I think there is a pattern developing here, everyone who has had an off recently seems to have purchased new gear before hand. mmmmm, lets hope the european chaps don't get hold of this statistic, or they may bring in restrictions following new purchases of clothing! ;)

Gav
30-07-06, 06:26 PM
Sorry to hear about your off Steve, hope it all get sorted soon...

Gav

Steev
30-07-06, 09:57 PM
some pics, the first one is on my phone just after I picked the bike up. That is exatly whers it stopped in relation to the camera. God knows how it and me stayed on the right side of the road.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/SteevT/Crash/Image003.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/SteevT/Crash/Image004.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/SteevT/Crash/IMG_0390.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/SteevT/Crash/IMG_0391.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/SteevT/Crash/IMG_0392.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/SteevT/Crash/IMG_0393.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/SteevT/Crash/IMG_0394.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/SteevT/Crash/IMG_0395.jpg

R1chie
30-07-06, 10:00 PM
quality frank thomas leathers then :o

desmojen
30-07-06, 10:18 PM
****ski, those leathers are trashed! Mind you, we shouldn't really expect them to be reuseable after an 80mph get off! The main thing is, despite the damage to the leathers, you are reasonably undamaged :)
When you get your next set, perhaps you might want to try something a little more protective............. I can highly recommend Carrera for starters :)

Jen.

russ100
30-07-06, 10:28 PM
Phew, sounds like you had quite a day - glad to hear you are both relatively ok though.

"I have had my moment of clarity when I got up this morning with my 2 year old son and realised that moment very nearly didn’t happen"

I can only imagine what that feels like and I hope I dont have to - thanks for the incite. Hope you are back on 2 wheels soon :)

Steev
30-07-06, 10:28 PM
Top quality mate, You don’t expect to ware leathers again after a high speed spill, but as you can see I was so lucky to get away with as little road rash as I did. I am just really glad I had the jacket zipped into the trousers or I would have no skin on my stomach at all, I suppose that’s why they insist on a 360 zip on the track. Although after this off I recon I’ll be buying an all in one and researching quality a bit more before I buy.

desmojen
30-07-06, 10:40 PM
Top quality mate, You don’t expect to ware leathers again after a high speed spill, but as you can see I was so lucky to get away with as little road rash as I did. I am just really glad I had the jacket zipped into the trousers or I would have no skin on my stomach at all, I suppose that’s why they insist on a 360 zip on the track. Although after this off I recon I’ll be buying an all in one and researching quality a bit more before I buy.

The best leathers are the made to measure ones, just look at what the racers wear! (not GP guys, club racers, they pay for them with their own money!)
Scott, Crowtree, Carrera, and, surprisingly perhaps Hein Gericke Pro Sports. These are really popular because they cost £300 but they are honestly decent leathers!
Scott and Carrera can do made to measure for about £7-800, Crowtree maybe a little more. Scott also do off the peg for £599 I think.
BKS are **** hot but not many of us have £1200 going begging! :)

Jen.

R1chie
30-07-06, 10:52 PM

fair one mate but when i came off at donny a couple of years back all it did was scuff the leather. all the stitching stayed intact as well which is a big plus as obviously that is the weakest part of any leather garments.

and that was a 100mph+ off

but you are right in saying to do some research, it'll be worthwhile.

glad to hear you didn't get any serious injuries mate....................just watch out for those speed cameras in the future you hear!!

gravelrash
30-07-06, 11:51 PM
Flippin heck boys, just saw the carnage! Glad you are both unhurt.

evilkeneval
31-07-06, 12:41 AM
If it helps anyone for future fixed place speed cameras (gatsos etc) can only monitor 1 lane even if markings are on both sides, if you can nip over the white lines your unlikly to be cought. I didn't know this untill i followed a mate through one, he swerved to the other side of the road and i went stright through and ended up with 3pts and £60 fine! >:(

Glad to hear nobody was seriously hurt

Scott_W
31-07-06, 08:53 AM
Steve, I can't believe how badly those leathers fell apart. At least as you say, you've walked away from it without any lasting damage to yourself.

I can vote for doing your research in to leathers though as I don't fit in to off the peg leathers really and hence why I went down the made to measure route. For me, I chose BKS because of the reports I had seen in various articles and after seeing how they stood up to me coming off twice at Silverstone I am glad that I spent that extra bit of money. My leathers, although scuffed, are still fine and all of the stitching is still in tact so they can definitely live to see another day.

rex_the_sprocket
31-07-06, 09:19 AM
Steve, according to folklore if you had accelerated to 181mph you would have fooled the camera anyhow. ;D

Might as well be hung for a sheep........etc pop a wheelie, smile for the camera and give them the bird

GixerBoy
31-07-06, 12:53 PM
Ok,motors out,ready to be stripped! :)
A top motorcycle mecnic has offered to do the job for me so a sigh of relief there.....Wasn't looking forward to doing it myself! :o

Mac
31-07-06, 12:55 PM
OMG. Cant believe i'm reading this... Steev hope ur ok mate. Leathers look knackered. Just out of curiosity what were the results from the dyno?

GB...bummer about engine...u gonna get it skimmed and ported too??

GixerBoy
31-07-06, 12:59 PM
Uh no Mac......It really is quick enough as it is!
Heres a picccy of Steev's dyno sheet.........

Mac
31-07-06, 01:01 PM
How long are u gonna be off the road for?

GixerBoy
31-07-06, 01:05 PM
Mates already got a race bike he's doing at the mo' so its probaly gonna be a couple of weeks! :'( :'(

blurbiker247
31-07-06, 01:08 PM
you'll want my hysung then ;D ;D

R1chie
31-07-06, 01:13 PM

now that is something i'd like to see!!

Dabz
31-07-06, 01:13 PM
you could buy a bandit 1200 for the 2 weeks then sell it afterwards. I know of a nice one for sale ;)

blurbiker247
31-07-06, 01:15 PM

now that is something i'd like to see!!

Yer THAT would be one for calender ;D ;D ;D

GixerBoy
31-07-06, 01:16 PM
You lot are funny.......Drop down from the mighty Gixer?? Ho ho ho.....Rather crawl on me hands and knees goddamit!! :o :P ;)

blurbiker247
31-07-06, 01:22 PM
>:( you saying my Hyosung ain't good enough >:( more like you don't think you could handle the raw power, if you took it out you'd be passionate about it in less than 5 :P

Dabz
31-07-06, 01:24 PM
mine's got a bigger engine ;)

Icey
31-07-06, 01:26 PM
Stop willy waving !!!

GixerBoy
31-07-06, 01:28 PM
Put the Bandit and that whatevers its called together and they still wouldn't make the power of the Missile!! ::) :D ;)

blurbiker247
31-07-06, 01:28 PM
;D ;D

Trying to think of something good about mine to come back with :-[

Here's one, I will donate a £10er if GB turns up on it at the next meet ;D ;D ;D

Lets start a list ;D ;D

GixerBoy
31-07-06, 01:29 PM
GFI!! :o :'(

bazzashazza
31-07-06, 01:35 PM
oh dear that certainly was a bad day!! glad ur both fine, but i'm beginning to think we're all cursed at the minute all these accidents in the space of a couple of weeks!! and steev im so glad u said about the zip up on the leathers cos i never do mine up and i felt sick when i read wot u said... will be mega careful from now on 8-)

R1chie
31-07-06, 01:53 PM
;D ;D

Trying to think of something good about mine to come back with :-[

Here's one, I will donate a £10er if GB turns up on it at the next meet ;D ;D ;D

Lets start a list ;D ;D

another £10 here!! ;D

Snowy
31-07-06, 11:02 PM
I'm in. 10 squid plus the piccies get posted.

Sinz1000K3
03-08-06, 08:34 PM
oops..must read all posts on forum:P

Glad you ok steev..wondered why you wasnt at avebury:/

GB - 6th gear let go on the dyno? or did you not put yours on?

GixerBoy
04-08-06, 03:46 PM
No mate,they use 4th gear for the dyno runs anyway.......
No,it went on the way there......

GixerBoy
13-08-06, 02:49 PM
For those of you that are interested,heres a couple of pics of the parts that were replaced in my gearbox.........

GixerBoy
13-08-06, 02:52 PM
Picture 2.....

BB
13-08-06, 03:02 PM
gearbox bits go some lovely colours under stress don't they?

HC8
13-08-06, 11:40 PM
gearbox bits go some lovely colours under stress don't they?

and they make some lurvely noises too - well scary ones really :o