PDA

View Full Version : Pyrennees

Punture_Pugh
21-08-06, 11:39 PM
Evening all,

I'm off to the Pyrennees in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if any of you had been there before.

Any tips on places of interest, good hotels, strip joints, red light areas, bars etc. would be gratefully received.

We're travelling from Plymouth to Santander and criss-crossing the mountain range visiting Pamplona, Barcelona, Andorra and then Biarritz on the way back to Santander. We'll be taking a week to meander around the area and should cover around 1000 miles.

Can't wait!

HC8
22-08-06, 12:08 AM
yup went there a few years ago on way down to Faro for the rally.

The roads are fantastic and the lorry drivers nuts - but they do indicate when its clear for you to overtake. If your crossing the pyrenees do so in the morning as after about 1pm it can get foggy quite quickly - the road coming down into spain from france is wonderful.

Spain is the 2nd most mountainous country next to switzerland. Remember in basque country signs are prodominantly in catalan not spanish. Barcelona is fab take time to look around. The road from teruel to zaragosa has wonderful scenery but can be a bit country lanes.

Didn't find any strip joints or red light districts you will have to do your own finding - we avoided touristy areas and had a great time, local food and drink is excellent.

If i think of anything else i will let you know . . . . enjoy!

Punture_Pugh
22-08-06, 08:40 AM
Cheers HC.

Some good tips.

I'll scribble those down.

FJ_Biker
22-08-06, 07:50 PM
Visited the Pyrenees a few times, basically I just use a Michelin map as they mark the scenic roads in green.

I never plan anything so it never goes wrong, lots of camping and cheep hotels around, I prefer the hotels in the villages and towns as you get a choice of restaurants and bars. (I never book in advance)

If you are on your bike fill up every morning, everything shuts down for what seems like hours in the middle of the day. Pack light and buy stuff if you need it

Have only visited the Pyrenees twice and both times I have wanted to go on the cable car to the top of pic de midi but it has always been foggy

This is the important part beer is cheaper in Spain

R1chie
22-08-06, 09:19 PM
I promised myself last year that I would try to do a trip similar to yours this year. Wanted to head down throught the Pyrenees culminating in a cheeky trackday at cataluyna.

Due to unforeseen circumstances I can't do it this year, but again, plans are afoot for next year.

I'll look forward to hearing how you found your trip Pugh..........lucky git! ;)

Punture_Pugh
22-08-06, 10:53 PM
Thanks Guys,

We've got a loose plan and we definately going to use Hotels cos we ain't taking a tent!

Travel light? Moi? Er, 3x 45 litre cases should do the trick!

My previous touring has been mainly mid-northern France, Germany and the low countries, so I'm all excited about this one.