PDA

View Full Version : Help with a bigger bike

silver
22-08-06, 08:37 PM
Ok.......can i have all your input please.........................

What kinda bigger bike can I get when I can hardly touch the ground with the one I got!!!!

After I've passed my test...............

Any ideas for a girl of 5'4" who's a 9 1/2 stone weakling!!!!!!!!!!!

I need a bike that aint too heavy or too tall....

All suggestions appreciated.........

Thank you...................Silver x :)

Icey
22-08-06, 08:40 PM
I'm going to have a similar problem.

I'm planning on looking at the following:
VFR 400 NC24/30
CBR 400 NC23 Babyblade

You can usually get most bikes 'lowered', so it might be worth looking into that? I plan to - as I would really like a CBR600 :)

Scott_W
22-08-06, 09:07 PM
A NC35/RVF400 is the best 400 out there! ;)

R1chie
22-08-06, 09:11 PM
any of the 400's out there.........rvf,vfr, cbr, zxr

plus 650 twins like the sv or ER6

Mac
22-08-06, 09:24 PM
I was gonna suggest the SV650 too :D

FJ_Biker
22-08-06, 09:32 PM
Two words Ducati monster (if you have the money)

My better half is about the same height and weight as you and she can sit on my old Yamaha FJ1200 and put her feet flat on the floor, you can get a good one of these of the bay of e for 600 quid

I am not convinced changing the ride height on a bike is the best thing to do (personal opinion here). I have done this on a bandit 600 for my better half and now the centre stand grounds out before the pegs (not nice)

The other thing you will have to do is make sure you have a good reach when sitting in the seat moving the handle bars from right to left

What style bike do you like sport, custom, retro?

ONFIRE
22-08-06, 09:32 PM
I agree SV650 , But if you have lots extra pennies and reliable breakdown recovery Ducati 749R 8-)

R1chie
22-08-06, 09:40 PM
i think she might struggle with the 748/749 Tim, being a short arse and all lol

from memory after sitting on one i though it was quite high, could be wrong though

ONFIRE
22-08-06, 09:49 PM

from memory after sitting on one i though it was quite high, could be wrong though

Hmm thinking about it now Rich.. your probably right...Have sat on few at Onyerbike myself, Think its the illusion of Duke's looking small... might I swayed me to that direction...Guess she would have to sit astride one first.

Having known quite a few shorter girls, they have always seem to purchased the SV's

mike
22-08-06, 10:01 PM
The 1990 CBR600 I've resurrected is really low, feels weird if I go on it after the Tuono. I'm trying to finish it off with some fairing panels then may sell or better still do a swap with someone for a 250- 450 trailie. Would certainly recommend one of these for short and less experienced riders. Not sure if the newer ones are as low.

R1chie
22-08-06, 10:07 PM

Hmm thinking about it now Rich.. your probably right...Have sat on few at Onyerbike myself, Think its the illusion of Duke's looking small... might I swayed me to that direction...Guess she would have to sit astride one first.

Having known quite a few shorter girls, they have always seem to purchased the SV's

although having said that mate.........cos of the v-twin nature of the beast.......it won't be as wide as other bikes so it might be alright.

Foo needs to comment on this thread..........she is a short arse (geek) afterall

evilkeneval
22-08-06, 10:26 PM

i must agree, though not to sure about the 650's

BB
22-08-06, 10:29 PM
It's not so much overal height but inside leg that makes the difference!

Being only 5'2 myself I went out and sat on loads of bikes until I found one I was happy with - in my case my late Hinckly Bonnie. did sit on a lot of different stuff, some of it much lighter before I made my choice. Did find it a little heavy in some situations but mostly ok, my feet were never flat on the ground either. Another bike I ride is the Morini Kanguro, an enduro style thing that is far too tall for me but is light & easy to handle.

keep sitting on different stuff and seeing how comfortable you feel with its weight & balance is my advice.

BB

R1chie
22-08-06, 10:39 PM

i must agree, though not to sure about the 650's

650's are fine........especially the SV. ex girlfriend of mine who was a smidgeon over 5ft had a SV (albeit with a custom made seat) and she got on with it fine

RVFBabe
23-08-06, 08:12 AM
I love my RVF , although it does need to be quicker ;) :D

Oh and I'm 5ft 3

Rod
24-08-06, 12:49 PM
If you want a 250 crusier, look at the Regal Raptor, great value, goes well, and the seat hight is only 27", there is a pic of mine before I got the Hog in Your Rides under the post Pic at last. On the net look for the AJS website, there is a link from there or contact Burnout Bikes in Downton. :) If you want a different style ask someone else ;D I know very little. Good luck with it....Rod

Foo
24-08-06, 05:05 PM
If you want a bigger bike then any of the new 1000cc bikes are fine, they are all quite thin and really light.

I rode a Gixer 1000, K5 the other day and found I could touch the floor on both sides (just) and I'm 5'2"

I've previously owned a ZX10r and that was high but very light, so hoping it backwards or getting off and pushing it backwards wasn't a problem.

Sinz1000K3
24-08-06, 05:09 PM
Big jump from a 125 to a 1000beast though:P

Foo
24-08-06, 05:12 PM
ohh pants, well if that's the case I'd defo say get yourself a 400, I started on a ZZR600 and it was too big and too heavy for someone of my size and experience, so much so I nearly packed up biking all together.

I swapped if for a VFR400 and have never looked back since, it did loads for my confidence and riding :D

silver
24-08-06, 05:45 PM
Thanks everyone for all your advice :) :) :)

It will come in most handy when i finally get round to taking my test and moving up to a bigger machine.

Cheers ..................Silver x ;)

evilkeneval
24-08-06, 11:54 PM
when you planning to take your test?