PDA

View Full Version : Tyre additives

Rod
03-09-06, 04:13 PM
I just wondered if anyone had any views or comments on these additives you put inside your tyres to prevent punctures. I believe they are put in as fluid from a pressurised can in through the valves and then line the inside of the tyres an they mix with the air to form a protective layer....Thanks..Rod

Stu
03-09-06, 07:52 PM
I personally hate the stuff as it will put the tyres out of balance and you could have a weakened tyre as it has a puncture but being blocked up. I have used the emergency stuff when I was out and got a puncture and changed the tyre as soon as I could

Gav
03-09-06, 07:58 PM
The sealents you are refering in the pressurised can are a emergency repair...they do not go in before you have a puncture...they do not always work and alot of tyre places will not do a proper repair after they have been used as they can cause the ply to seperate....so my advice is to stear well clear of them unless its the only way you are going to get home after a puntcure!!!!!!!!

There are however sealents that are put in before a puncture that do work to repair the tyre after an object has punctued it...they do work well if the correct amount is put in, and this is important both to how well they work and how they affect the bike. As you can understand any fluid movement inside a balanced wheel will cause an im-balance which can be very bad if wrong amount put in.
We sell Punctureseal...american stuff that does seem to work very well indeed...but we have have some comebacks where it has been put in a while after the tyre was fitted and has messed up the balance.

So if your going to get it put in and use it, do it when you have the tyres fitted and get the garage to put it in from a proper container, with a proper measurment.
It does work very well and worth it if your concerned about punctures.
Gav

p's it does not wirk in a tube tyre

Snowy
04-09-06, 08:38 AM
Gav, I have been thinking about punctureseal myself before getting a flat and have heard good reports about it. But what happens when you have to fit a new tyre - will a fitter charge extra to clean the wheel hub up between tyre changes?

Gav
04-09-06, 05:18 PM
No they shouldnt charge any more to wipe the excess off the wheel.

nicko600
04-09-06, 05:22 PM
I use Ultraseal and have never had a problem, it is a preventative measure not an emergency repair. You can feel it in the tyre for the first few miles but then it evens itself out.

Rod
04-09-06, 05:53 PM
I was thinking of the preventitve type, not an emergeny repaire