PDA

View Full Version : For anyone thinking of riding without proper kit..

b_1_rd
26-09-06, 06:41 PM
http://h1.ripway.com/b1rd/skin.jpg

I wouldn't fancy seeing the after effect of this!

BB
26-09-06, 06:43 PM
hmmm, when I think of all the lovely colours I went through with all the proper kit on!

BB

R1chie
26-09-06, 06:46 PM
skin graft anyone?

Dabz
26-09-06, 06:48 PM
that picture makes me cringe!

Snowy
26-09-06, 06:51 PM
So is the result a low or a high side? Either way I hope she lands on her backpack and shoots off into the dirt rather than skim down the tarmac. Ouch!

gixerjonny
26-09-06, 08:23 PM
I must say its one of my pet hates silly some silly t**T in the summer riding in shorts , no t shrits
WHY do they do it??????

Stu
26-09-06, 08:30 PM
If anyone turned up for training with no safty kit on, when I was an instructor I'd send them home!!

I hate people not wearing safty kit, I've seen too many scars due to no kit!

Idiots

Scott_W
26-09-06, 10:31 PM
Ouchie!

desmojen
27-09-06, 07:46 AM
That's going to really smart in about, oooh, a second! :o

I used to have strong views about people riding with no/not appropriate safety gear. I don't so much now. After all, it's personal choice at the end of the day.
Just bear in mind, all you guys thrapping around at high speed chasing Gb and rex, if you have an altercation with the scenery at those speeds you'll be lucky to walk away, kit or no.

Jen.

babyblade069
27-09-06, 10:07 AM
Maybe they should have considered these!

http://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/html/dragtest.html

Fully lined jeans and demin jackets Lined with some clever Aramid protection. They reckon you can do 1/4 mile on your arse on tarmac and not break through this. Don't try that at home!

rex_the_sprocket
27-09-06, 06:03 PM
That's going to really smart in about, oooh, a second! :o

I used to have strong views about people riding with no/not appropriate safety gear. I don't so much now. After all, it's personal choice at the end of the day.
Just bear in mind, all you guys thrapping around at high speed chasing Gb and rex, if you have an altercation with the scenery at those speeds you'll be lucky to walk away, kit or no.

Jen.
Friend of mine fell off at a roundabout doing 10mph with full leathers - hit a kerb, knocked himself out cold for 10 mins, broke collar bone, arm in a few places, ankle etc. Still on crutches after 14 months.

Leather protects in a slide but can't really help you when you smack into something, even at modest speeds. Every time I am out being foolish on a bike I recognise the dangers & I accept them otherwise I would never go out. However I would be 'mortified' if I hurt somebody else in an incident, whether its a pillion or other road user, and that is my main issue when I am riding.

ChantelleT
28-09-06, 12:08 AM
I think each to your own... I quite happily go pillion on anyones bike, but to take a pillion on my own bike i will be very cautious about. not because of my riding but being resposible for someone else when there are some real plonker drivers out there.

evilkeneval
28-09-06, 08:50 AM
must admit i've riden with very little saftey gear a few times, always wear gloves though, don't feel right without them. got some funny looks going to the petrol station in jeans and t-shirt the other day. I don't tend to ride fast unless i'm wearing the all the gear though. I don't mind so much if come off but i wouldn't like to hurt someone else by doing so, when i got pillions i ride how they are comfetable, if i'm going too fast for them i slow down, they know the risks there are taking when they get on the back :-? silly people! :P

BB
28-09-06, 10:56 AM
Rex is right, it is often the 'sudden stop' that causes the damage not the slide in full kit. Talking to the copper who attended my accident he reckons I was only doing 55mph at the time of impact and he reckons I slid about 50 metres down the road after head butting the deck! Fortunately I didn't hit anything else so only upper body injuries collected from the initial road impact

There was a bike accident in Bath last week, biker at speed clipped a car and the biker then hit a person waiting at a bus stop! How unlucky is that! I also heard about another incident of a bloke happily sliding down the road until he ran out of road and hit the chevron sign at the bend - very bad leg & pelvic injuries.

I must admit nowadays I tend to ride with full kit although I have been known to wear jeans on the classic stuff. I sure we have all ridden in 'inappropriate' kit at some point in our riding careers we all know the risks. It ain't clever that's for sure.

BB

Punture_Pugh
30-09-06, 06:06 PM
As a Motorcycle Rider Instructor for the last 8 years, you can only advise students what is appropriate clothing for riding bikes.

They'll always do what they want in the end. ::)

I have to say there's a rising trend for the younger riders to ride (after training) without a proper jacket (only a hoodie) and no gloves. It's the old "It'll never happen to me" way of thinking.

We had a low slider recently (10mph). Unfortunately for her she was only wearing thin trousers on her legs and ended up with 2 badly bruised and grazed knees. She learned the hard way. :'(

Now, it's a lovely sunny day, where's me shorts!!! ;D 8-)

gixerjonny
01-10-06, 09:39 AM
I feel sorry for the people who have to pick them up after they come off. The people who patch them up if there is anything to patch up. through no fault of there own they get dragged in

ONFIRE
03-10-06, 12:01 PM
must admit i've riden with very little saftey gear a few times, always wear gloves though, don't feel right without them. got some funny looks going to the petrol station in jeans and t-shirt the other day. I don't tend to ride fast unless i'm wearing the all the gear though. I don't mind so much if come off but i wouldn't like to hurt someone else by doing so, when i got pillions i ride how they are comfetable, if i'm going too fast for them i slow down, they know the risks there are taking when they get on the back :-? silly people! :P

Not forgetting 'Mikey' you're very much responsiable for those silly people?;)

evilkeneval
03-10-06, 01:24 PM
they are also responsable for them selves. they don't have to sit on the back they chose too :-?

silver
03-10-06, 02:40 PM

.......REALLY?????????????......... I WASN'T AWARE OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SILVER X :)

NinjaSi
09-10-06, 08:27 AM
The Picture before she seems happy enough!!!

Shorts T shirt flip flops :-/ I guess she had the gloves on to protect her nails
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/2017/tt2yu8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

BB
09-10-06, 10:23 AM
they are also responsable for them selves. they don't have to sit on the back they chose too :-?

There is also an element of trust on both sides, as a rider you trust them to be a good pillion and as a pillion they trust the rider enough to get on board and not abuse that trust.

BB

HC8
09-10-06, 02:48 PM

well silver i'm not a nervous rider or pillion but i do think about who i would ride pillion with, ie people who have been riding a short time or have a limited amount of experience be it on a large capacity bike or a 125, then there are the
ppl who are downright lunatics and your own sense of self preservation should make the judgement for you and anyone who either rides in no protective gear or lets a pillion on without the right protective gear should be put in the lunatic category.

i would certainly think twice about going pillion on a 125 unless a necessity due to the limited power capabilities of the bike, sometimes when riding you need extra power to remove yourself from a 'tricky' situation and with the extra
weight 2 up it just doesn't happen.

There are a few ppl here that i have been pillion with and i wouldn't think twice about going pillion with them again, mikey being one of them. To reiterate BB, its an element of trust on both sides.

ONFIRE
09-10-06, 04:20 PM

well silver i'm not a nervous rider or pillion but i do think about who i would ride pillion with, ie people who have been riding a short time or have a limited amount of experience be it on a large capacity bike or a 125, then there are the
ppl who are downright lunatics and your own sense of self preservation should make the judgement for you and anyone who either rides in no protective gear or lets a pillion on without the right protective gear should be put in the lunatic category.

i would certainly think twice about going pillion on a 125 unless a necessity due to the limited power capabilities of the bike, sometimes when riding you need extra power to remove yourself from a 'tricky' situation and with the extra
weight 2 up it just doesn't happen.

There are a few ppl here that i have been pillion with and i wouldn't think twice about going pillion with them again, mikey being one of them. To reiterate BB, its an element of trust on both sides.

Always element of trust one would hope, just to reiterate the Rider without a doubt is 100 percent responsible and liable for the safety of your Pillion Buddy, be it on a 50, 125 to a 1000+…

I am sure common sense will always prevail 8-)

b_1_rd
09-10-06, 09:26 PM
and can anyone tell me why we are all getting into a heated discussion once again over this!

BB
10-10-06, 10:28 AM
and can anyone tell me why we are all getting into a heated discussion once again over this!

It passes the time?

Anyway, I'm not getting 'heated' over it! 8-)

BB

Scott_W
10-10-06, 10:31 AM
This is not to add to the argument or similar, but it is an eye opener though!

Road Rash Story (http://www.speedfreakinc.com/content/articles/riding/roadrashqueen.html)

BB
10-10-06, 10:52 AM
Road Rash Story is very disturbing and difficult to read through completly, but really does make you think.

OK, maybe she was stupid and paid a very dear price for it, but didn't the rider notice that she was struggling to stay on? I find that aspect incredible and also that no where in her story does she say one word against him. One very strong willed lady!

BB

Scott_W
10-10-06, 11:24 AM
She is indeed a very strong willed person, and huge amount of respect for her to a) go pillion again afterwards, and b) get her own bike.

The way she details some of the feeling straight after the accident certainly makes you appreciate wearing proper gear more.

ONFIRE
10-10-06, 04:34 PM
Bit Blonde 8-)
;D ;D

pig
10-10-06, 06:26 PM
The thought is easy, the one that goes. "it will never happen to me"
As it happens it did happen to me back in June 2004 on the 6th to be precise.
I was traveling down the road after pulling off from a set of traffic lights and the three cars in front of me were doing 15 mph so in my infinate wisdom i overtook them on my ZRX 1200 only for the back wheel to start locking up ( i can't remember this bit by the way, this is what i was told afterwards. ) the bike threw me off in to the path of an oncoming car that proceded to run over me breaking my back a couple of ribbs and brusing the two frontal lobes of my brain as he ran over my head. So the moral of the story is if i wasn't wearing the kit i wouldn't be here. It's to late afterwards, and yes i can walk i do still ride and i have just bought a Yamaha XV1700 Warrior to replace my SV1000s

BB
10-10-06, 09:49 PM
Good to hear you survived so well and are back riding, I scuffed up my own kit with a slide down the road a few months ago -rather scuffed leather & a new helmet than skin grafts or worse!

BB

b_1_rd
10-10-06, 10:05 PM
Left a nice marble effect on you for a bit though ;D

BB
10-10-06, 10:13 PM
Left a nice marble effect on you for a bit though ;D

It sure did - and you could only see some of it!! ;)

BB :-*

b_1_rd
10-10-06, 10:14 PM
Well you were flashing it to everyone in the ward ;)

BB
10-10-06, 10:28 PM
I blame the drugs... :o

b_1_rd
10-10-06, 10:36 PM
I blame the Deer personnally, but hey you know best ;D

BB
10-10-06, 10:44 PM
I don't even remember the deer... :-/ or the air ambulance... :-/

I remember the drugs tho! :o

b_1_rd
10-10-06, 10:50 PM
Well, you can stop using them now ;)

BB
10-10-06, 11:00 PM
I have, this is me being normal....

pause and wait for the wisecracks!! ;D

blurbiker247
11-10-06, 06:35 AM
O deer, poor thing, snigger snigger, BB normal :-/ , two words that should never be seen together ;D ;D

gixerjonny
11-10-06, 11:42 AM
Blue are you this brave face to face with BB...

BB
11-10-06, 06:14 PM
He is on borrowed time...

BB

blurbiker247
11-10-06, 06:55 PM

OK she is formidable,.......................but she is only a girl :)

BB
11-10-06, 11:03 PM

Now you are in really deep trouble with the girls on this site! >:(

b_1_rd
11-10-06, 11:26 PM
Oh careful you might get a smaked bottom! :o :D

blurbiker247
12-10-06, 06:01 AM

Now you are in really deep trouble with the girls on this site! >:(

:P