PDA

View Full Version : Honda CG125

bikenewbie
17-11-06, 06:40 PM
Hi guys!

I've just done my CBT, and am on the lookout for a bike. I have my sights set on a Honda CG125, as I did the CBT on one and loved it, plus I know how it handles etc. I mentioned this to my dad, but he reckons a 125 is too powerful and I will kill myself. Now, I'm 18, and I'm really not a speed demon, I drive responsibly etc and I know that I can handle the Honda. I was just wondering what people's views on this forum are, and what comparisons or advice people can give me on the subject.

Thanks, Andy

BB
17-11-06, 07:02 PM
Your Dad is right, you could kill yourself on a CG125, but then you get killed walking across the road and be hit by a bus. Life – and death happens to us all what ever we do and sometimes despite however carefully we do it. You are 18, old enough to vote, be considered a responsible adult etc and can make your own decisions, which include things like when to open the throttle and when not to.

There are other members on this site who ride 125’s I’m sure they will have comments to make – it’s a long time since I passed my test on my CG125 – I thought it was a great bike too!

Good luck with convincing your Dad and have fun on your bike. :)

BB

Stu
17-11-06, 07:21 PM
Hi Andy,

Silver has a CG125 she's selling.

http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1158331470

You have pm for contact details

silver
17-11-06, 08:26 PM
Hi Andy,

Silver has a CG125 she's selling.

http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1158331470

You have pm for contact details

Thanks Stu.. :)

Yep...I passed me practical today ....in all that bad rain too!!!!!

So my CG125 will now be for sale Andy if you are interested.......come and have a look.....its in fabulous condition........just right to start your biking career........its done me well over the last year.

bikenewbie
17-11-06, 10:50 PM
Thanks silver, that looks like a bloody good deal, but my budget doesn't quite stretch to that! :-/ I've seen older ones for around 6-800, a lot older but i'll cope!

Your Dad is right, you could kill yourself on a CG125, but then you get killed walking across the road and be hit by a bus. Life – and death happens to us all what ever we do and sometimes despite however carefully we do it. You are 18, old enough to vote, be considered a responsible adult etc and can make your own decisions, which include things like when to open the throttle and when not to.

My thoughts exactly! And anyway, the route i'd be doing is really easy, you can see the road for miles and it's not exactly a taxing ride. Anyone have any particular arguments that i can use to pursuade him to let me get a 125 as opposed to a glorified 50? It seems rather sad, having to toady to your parents at the age of 18, but they are sending me to uni and i have to keep them sweet... ;)

jj
17-11-06, 10:55 PM
just get him to drive his car at the speed of 50 and he will soon see how often u will get cut up and how dangerous they are....

Clarkey34
18-11-06, 10:49 AM
The Honda is a great beginners bike, I managed to pick one up for £650 and sold it for that much 2 months later after I bought my ZXR400, A good arguement is that you pick up road craft on a 125 better because you are not looking for small gaps to get into, because on a 50cc you are up to your top speed in no time at all, at least on a 125 you can keep up with the speed of the traffic easier

Dabz
18-11-06, 11:06 AM
the cg is a cool little bike, when I was doing my training they only had 1 left (we used yamaha 125s mainly) but I had a quick go and it was fun - had character I thought!

oh and well done silver for passing!

Rod
18-11-06, 04:16 PM
;D ;D My 1200 Hog is slower than your 125 ;D ;D

bikenewbie
18-11-06, 04:34 PM
Well, despite my arguments, looks like I've lost and have to get something smaller. I hate prejudices like that...

Anyway, does anyone know of any decent bikes in the 100cc range? Budget of around £800, second hand obviously.

Stu
18-11-06, 04:38 PM
100cc and 125 ain't much difference! How much do the parents know about bike? Just get a 125 and desticker it and say it's a 100!

Otherwise 100cc your looking at scooters like the aerox and speedfight, both readily available for £800 mark.

Have you checked ebay etc?

mike
18-11-06, 04:46 PM
My daughter had a Motorhispania RX50 at 16. I ensured it was derestricted for safety reasons. If you are going to be riding on A roads and the bike won't sit comfortably at 60mph, you will be continually overtaken, often dangerously by half awake car drivers late for work. I think that anything less than a 125 is far more dangerous. For example, even derestricted (60mph max) the RX50 needed a couple of gear changes just to get around a mini roundabout! I feel safer on A roads on my Tuono than DR350, and when I rode my daughter's next bike, a TW125 it struggled to hold 55mph. She's now got a car and to be honest I feel a lot happier when she's out in that than when she was on a bike. Sad but true!

Every time you are overtaken you are at much higher risk of an accident, simple as that, so really try to get something that'll keep up with the other traffic, as it'll be a lot safer and a lot less stressful. There aren't a great deal of 100cc bikes available these days are there? Anyway, good luck and ride safe whatever you get!

BB
18-11-06, 07:41 PM
Well, despite my arguments, looks like I've lost and have to get something smaller. I hate prejudices like that...

Anyway, does anyone know of any decent bikes in the 100cc range? Budget of around £800, second hand obviously.

Thats a shame, people do tend to get hung up on cc's and don't seem to appreciate the throttle works both ways. Good luck with the bike hunt and keep us posted.

BB

bikenewbie
18-11-06, 07:44 PM
He may now have seen the light! A friend of his runs/works at a bike shop in Bristol and the had a chat. He now knows that anything smaller than a 125 is dangerous for what i'll be doing, and is now considering all the options. werhey!!

BB
18-11-06, 07:47 PM
Brilliant stuff - glad to hear he has been enlightened. Just need to find something 'suitable' now! ;)

BB

Amante_271
19-11-06, 06:45 AM
I used to ride a Suzi GP100 many years ago, and it was a fab bike, Ive also had a Yam RS100 (My first bike!) - They now call it the RSX100. Ive even got an old "H" reg Yam YB100 (looks like a big FSIE (& who of us of a certain ago can ever forget a Fizzy!) that Im resurecting for my wife to learn on.

None of them have STONKING amounts of arm renching power but they will get you around at sensible speeds! The 25ccs difference in power isnt that noticible.... honest!!! Just watch out for the 6volt elecrics!!!! Not the brightest lights in the world! :o ::)

nicko600
23-11-06, 07:58 PM
My daughter had a Motorhispania RX50 at 16. I ensured it was derestricted for safety reasons. If you are going to be riding on A roads and the bike won't sit comfortably at 60mph, you will be continually overtaken, often dangerously by half awake car drivers late for work. I think that anything less than a 125 is far more dangerous. For example, even derestricted (60mph max) the RX50 needed a couple of gear changes just to get around a mini roundabout! I feel safer on A roads on my Tuono than DR350, and when I rode my daughter's next bike, a TW125 it struggled to hold 55mph. She's now got a car and to be honest I feel a lot happier when she's out in that than when she was on a bike. Sad but true!

Every time you are overtaken you are at much higher risk of an accident, simple as that, so really try to get something that'll keep up with the other traffic, as it'll be a lot safer and a lot less stressful. There aren't a great deal of 100cc bikes available these days are there? Anyway, good luck and ride safe whatever you get!

It's all be about confidence, running a 600cc+ bike at slow speeds, wobbling etc will cause the same reaction amongst drivers. A 125cc will command respect if you ride it properly and don't let yourself be pushed into the gutter.

jonnydangerous
04-12-06, 01:43 PM
well done to you :-) the CG is a great little bike, it will teach you to ride properly, use very little fuel, be reliable and predictable. good choice. have fun.

goggomobil300
04-12-06, 11:04 PM
I have to agree with Mike (above) and it's great if your old man has been persuaded that a 125 is actually safer than a 50 or 100. I really feel sorry for the people I see riding to school or college along the main roads on their small scooters, there's always a long queue of cars waiting to squeeze past and they will often cut scooters up.

My fist bike was a 50cc Raleigh Runabout that wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding! It was OK (ish) around town, but was useless out on the open road. I even had to pedal it up the steeper hills - and that was in Essex :P ;D

I should imagine it's in moped heaven by now :-/