PDA

View Full Version : tips for riding in strong winds?

Dabz
07-12-06, 02:05 PM
Just driven down to exeter..in the comfort of a 4 wheeled vehicle I'm afraid...

the winds are mental out there today but I was suprised to see so many bikers out. It's pretty horrible riding conditions and they were all being thrown about by the wind...rather them than me.

anyway, just wondering if anyone has any tips for riding in strong crosswinds?

kwik
07-12-06, 03:18 PM
On the occasions I've rode across the severn bridge, I found steering into wind was the best bet. Go past a lorry and be prepared to literally turn your bike as you get past him! However, wouldn't go across there (think it's shut at the mo) in these winds. Other than that, not really rode in 'extreme' wind ...

Gav
07-12-06, 05:43 PM
Or you could avoid riding in strong wind, then it isnt a problem....

BB
07-12-06, 06:17 PM
I must admit I don't like riding in strong winds but sometimes it is unavoidable.

Best bet is just take it steady. As Kwik says' go careful overtaking. Take it easy on exposed roads. Look for gaps in walls & hedges etc where strong gusts can blow through and can catch you out. Watch out for all sorts of debris blowing about too.

BB

goggomobil300
07-12-06, 11:40 PM
Some advice I was given years ago . . . . .

Grip the tank with your knees and relax your upper body.

Seems to work for me. :)

Avoiding baked beans also helps ;D

desmojen
09-12-06, 10:24 PM
Use countersteering................................... ...............................or the car :)

Tommy
13-12-06, 11:26 AM
Dont do it on a Ducati 907IE

Rod
16-12-06, 03:34 PM
Speed plays a big part, obviously not too fast, but also too slow will make you very unstable to gusts, it's a matter of finding the ultimate speed for your bike/conditions, everyone is different.