PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Winter Riding ...

kwik
29-12-06, 02:00 PM
... composed by Kwik, aged 38 and three quarters

1. Just because the sun is out and it's relatively warm, remember the salty grimy ****e on the roads is S-L-I-P-P-E-R-Y; therefore, approach busy roundabouts and such like with caution. You're not in Springtime/Holiday mode

2. Do not assume your mate in front of you will go through an amber light.

3. Whilst trying to avoid said mate, remember to check the lane next to you as you drift over trying to avoid a lowside.

4. Control your adrenaline. The Cheshire Cat Smile from blasting a Nova Boi out the way soon slips off one's face when one's brakes don't work quite as well as they normally do.

5. When you slide through a red light, you still have a few inches spare before stopping on a busy roundabout itself.

6. If you love your bike, choose the "oh ****, I ain't gonna stop in time" option as opposed to the lowside one. Your mates will understand.

Guess who's riding her first winter in 4 years :-[ :o :D

BB
29-12-06, 10:30 PM
I must agree with you Kwik, it can get unexpectedly exciting on a sunny winter's day if you for one moment forget the road conditions!

It's pretty stormy out there tonight. As I walked back earlier this evening some poor soul pottered gently down the road on a custom wrestling with the wind and the rain - could only have been doing about 25 mph!

BB

50cc_newbie
29-12-06, 10:34 PM
I was about earlier just going a few miles and it was pretty grim.
Wasnt even a constant wind it was rather blustery, blew me everywhere. Also there was rain in the wind which made visibility poor through the visor- and with it up the rain blinded me. Glad to be inside.

BB
29-12-06, 10:43 PM
Hardy soul - or were you forced into it? Blustery is bad 'cos it just pushes you all over the place with no warning! I wear specs so the rain is a problem with the visor down or up!

BB

50cc_newbie
29-12-06, 10:45 PM
I was just bored so i went to a mates. I'll think twice next time!!

If he had a bike i cound persuade him to come to me- sadly not

kwik
30-12-06, 10:47 AM
I must agree with you Kwik, it can get unexpectedly exciting on a sunny winter's day if you for one moment forget the road conditions!Ain't that the truth. My tyres are near replacing too so bike put away for a while :-[

It's pretty stormy out there tonight. As I walked back earlier this evening some poor soul pottered gently down the road on a custom wrestling with the wind and the rain - could only have been doing about 25 mph!

BBWonder if he got caught out though? That wind and rain seemed to come on suddenly yesterday :o

BB
30-12-06, 11:02 AM
He might well have been caught out. When I walked down town it was a bit blustery but that was all then an hour later it was head down into the wind and rain walking back! :(

BB

BB
30-12-06, 05:32 PM
Well I decided to go out regardless today and sure enough got well wet! Thought I was going to get off with just a light shower or two, but it waited until I was a fair distance from home before it decided to settle into a steady downpour for about 30 miles... :'(

Lots of standing water too, not to mention the shall we say 'residue' left by farm vehicles just to make it a little more interesting. ::)

BB

50cc_newbie
30-12-06, 05:47 PM
You're worse than me, in the morning i went up to swindon to get waterproofs from ONFIRE, but all was ok as it was dry.
They then were put to use as i went out for a bit in the afternoon to go see someone, it was enough for me and it didnt even rain on me very hard!!

BB
30-12-06, 06:04 PM
Deffo worse than you, CB, I ignored the little bit of blue sky this morning and set off at lunchtime knowing it was possibly going to rain - with no waterproofs!

Hope the waterproofs you got from OF worked ok!

BB

50cc_newbie
30-12-06, 06:10 PM
The waterproofs work brilliantly thanks!

When OF rang this morning it was dry so i just thought why not and went to get them- i had nothing else to do

BB
30-12-06, 06:19 PM
Glad to hear it.

It should be interesting to read about GixerBoy's day when he gets round to posting it! He is probably still drying out! He went down to Crescent Suzuki today to collect his new bike with Gixerjonny and Rex. New bike, new tyres and heavy rain! Sounds like fun - not! :o ;)

BB

50cc_newbie
30-12-06, 06:23 PM
where's the dealership

i presume hes getting a gixer

BB
30-12-06, 06:31 PM
Yes, K6 Phantom

Crescent are down in Verwood Dorset and GB lives in Swindon - long ride in the wet!

www.crescent-suzuki.com

BB

ONFIRE
31-12-06, 12:08 PM
R1 2007

Best winter riding tip=George White does not matter where they're will deliver foc nationwide Rain or Shine. :o Great customer service at low prices ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D
8-)
http://www.georgewhite.co.uk/?category=free_delivery

Dabz
31-12-06, 12:22 PM
has someone got a job at GW or something???

Good riding tips kwik! I was hoping to get out today but it's wet and windy so I'm spring cleaning instead...in december lol!

ONFIRE
31-12-06, 12:39 PM
has someone got a job at GW or something???

Good riding tips kwik! I was hoping to get out today but it's wet and windy so I'm spring cleaning instead...in december lol!

Only shares ;D ;D ;D ;D

GixerBoy
31-12-06, 04:02 PM
R1 2007

Best winter riding tip=George White does not matter where they're will deliver foc nationwide Rain or Shine. :o Great customer service at low prices ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D
8-)

Unlike you OF,i am a REAL biker and getting wet isnt a problem for me......Like I'm gonna get my brand new bike delivered in a van......I wanted to get on it ASAP,whatever the weather......Been out again on it today in the rain....... :) :) :)

Oh,and no more plugging GW's ok!! >:(

ONFIRE
31-12-06, 04:09 PM
Very Happy for you ;D ;D ;D ;D

Gav
01-01-07, 04:35 PM
[/quote]

Unlike you OF,i am a REAL biker and getting wet isnt a problem for me......Like I'm gonna get my brand new bike delivered in a van......I wanted to get on it ASAP,whatever the weather......Been out again on it today in the rain....... :) :) :)

Oh,and no more plugging GW's ok!! >:([/quote]

The thrill of riding in all weathers is one that does not suit everybody. i do like riding in the wet sometimes as its a totally different type of riding to the dry, however after 15yrs worth of wet riding im alot less inclined now a days to go out in it. Havin said that i was out the other day when it started to rain, so rather than go straight in i did have a little play and did enjoy it alot.
Its just to much cleaning after really....lol

GixerBoy
01-01-07, 05:15 PM
Yep,the cleaning is the worst part.....Have had to clean my new one 4 times already!! :o ::) :'(

gixerjonny
01-01-07, 06:42 PM
Hold on to ya hats :o :o :o :o

I cleaned mine after taking GB to pick the baby up and getting caught in the worst rain and wind ive been out in for ages :'( :'(

goggomobil300
02-01-07, 12:35 AM
There was another article in MCN recently about a council (Essex I think) putting mollasses in the road salt to make it last longer, but also making it a lot more slippery.

Wiltshire CC deny theirs contains any additives, but my rectum would like to disagree after a number of recent slides on roundabouts and bends!

There's now a permanent pucker mark on my seat!! :o ;D