PDA

View Full Version : New Battery

Rod
13-01-07, 11:24 AM
I have just put a new battery on the hog, Big Nightmare. I had a choice of 2 with the same modle number, so I went for the dearer of the two (about £80) as it had more ampres per hour, more suitable for a big twin. To change the battery on a Hog is mega, ignition module cover off, seat off, band off, top cover off, side panel off, take battery out of tray, and the wires are too short to manouover to get a spanner to the terminals. After I rewired the immobilizer I found the holes in the battery terminals were off centre and didn't line up, so I had to reshape the the two leads on the bike to fit, this was very hard as the leads are thick and stiff to move. Eventually got it done after 2 and 1/2 hours.
I wonder how long it would take for a battery that wasn't the correct one? ;D

Why could I not turn the immobilizer off?? I was using the one from the car :-[ ;D :-[

BB
13-01-07, 04:03 PM
Why could I not turn the immobilizer off?? I was using the one from the car :-[ ;D :-[

Rod, you are a case!! :P

BB

mike
13-01-07, 08:34 PM
Rod; did you put on an Optimate lead onto the battery whilst everything was off? Well worth it if the bike is parked near an electric supply. With the 1000cc Aprilia engines, if the battery isn't fully charged it can cause the starter to recoil back, wrecking it and costing something like £600! Think some Ducati's are the same. V twins need a decently charged battery. Have you ever tried bump starting it? ;D

ONFIRE
13-01-07, 10:00 PM
I have just put a new battery on the hog, Big Nightmare. I had a choice of 2 with the same modle number, so I went for the dearer of the two (about £80) as it had more ampres per hour, more suitable for a big twin. To change the battery on a Hog is mega, ignition module cover off, seat off, band off, top cover off, side panel off, take battery out of tray, and the wires are too short to manouover to get a spanner to the terminals. After I rewired the immobilizer I found the holes in the battery terminals were off centre and didn't line up, so I had to reshape the the two leads on the bike to fit, this was very hard as the leads are thick and stiff to move. Eventually got it done after 2 and 1/2 hours.
I wonder how long it would take for a battery that wasn't the correct one? ;D

Should of had a Chat will HC think shes got a Hog 8-)

GixerBoy
13-01-07, 10:06 PM
WHO???????? :P

Rod
15-01-07, 09:16 PM
Hi Guys, Thanks for comments, Yes BB I had to own up!! :-[
Mike, I always have an Optimate lead connected, it was the only thing keeping the old battery going. I checked all six cells on the old battery, not a single good cell, one wouln't register three were dead and two were low :(

goggomobil300
18-01-07, 01:03 PM
I put a new battery on the BM over Christmas. Had to unbolt the rear subframe to give enough space to do the job. :(

Some bike designers obviously don't give a toss about ease of maintenance. I guess it keeps the dealers in business as they are more than happy to charge for the labour involved in doing what should be simple jobs! :o

Rod
27-01-07, 03:04 PM
How right you are Goggomobil300, The Harley ones are known to be a poor design, and it's been unchanged for years.

goggomobil300
28-01-07, 05:45 PM
How right you are Goggomobil300, The Harley ones are known to be a poor design, and it's been unchanged for years.

Maybe it's something to do with them being air cooled twins? ::)