PDA

View Full Version : HID

Scott_W
20-01-07, 06:19 PM
Well, as many of you will know HID lights have been available on cars now for a few years and with my current car having them, there is no way I won't get them again. However, there are now kits available for your bike, and with the Gixer lights being next to bloody useless in my opinion I've taken the plunge and fitted a HID kit to my bike.

Well, the results are superb and I strongly recommend people taking a look at these kits and fitting them to their bikes! I got mine from HIDS 4 U (www.hids4u.co.uk) and it was £109.99 and then a tenner for delivery. Fitting doesn't take too long and the instructions in the kit explain what you need to do, but basically, you're just swapping one bulb for another, connecting a few cables together and then that's about it! More time was spent in getting to the original bulb, removing the rubber seal from around it and then finding a nice secure place for the ballast that is used for the kit. (For any other Gixer owners who decide to do this - best place is above the radiator and under the air inlet on the left hand side)

You can see the nice blue light I have now in the picture below, but with this type of thing it is hard to a) take a picture showing you the look of it on the bike, and b) ever being able to take a picture of the end results.

http://www.nicewallace.co.uk/Suzuki/img_4442.jpg

http://www.nicewallace.co.uk/Suzuki/img_4446.jpg

Doubt this will generate much interest, but anyway, if you do have any questions then ask away and I'll try to answer them! Any other comments are welcome as well.... but I know for certain that I won't be removing the kit! :D 8-)

Dabz
20-01-07, 08:53 PM
I think that's something I might save for - my headlight isn't thr brightest on the tt! would it be difficult to fit for a novice?

Scott_W
20-01-07, 10:25 PM
Mate, I'm a complete novice as well and I did it! As long as you follow the instructions (and have your service manual to hand) you'll be fine. I only had to refer to the service manual to check which bits I needed to remove/move out of the way for changing the headlight. Believe me, you'll be fine!

Dabz
21-01-07, 11:12 AM
cool sounds good :D

BB
21-01-07, 07:14 PM
I think that's something I might save for - my headlight isn't thr brightest on the tt! would it be difficult to fit for a novice?

I must admit, when you were following me last week, I was surprised your headlight wasn't brighter. The lights on the FZ1 are pretty good.

BB

Dabz
22-01-07, 09:25 AM
when I'm riding in front with no oncoming cars I always have to use full beam so I can get a good view...definitely need HID I think!

goggomobil300
22-01-07, 10:16 PM
Maybe I'm just lucky, but the standard headlights on all the recent bikes I've owned (VFR800, TDM900, Varadero, Fazer 1000) have all been excellent.

The 6v one on my Triumph Tiger Cub isn't up to much though! ::)

£120 sounds a bit steep for headlamp bulbs, but I guess if they make THAT much difference, then perhaps it's worth it. :o

BB
22-01-07, 10:35 PM
Not sure the cider tub would run a HID light unit.... :o ;D

BB

goggomobil300
24-01-07, 10:18 PM
Not sure the cider tub would run a HID light unit.... :o ;D

BB

I don't know . . . . it would be a HID headlight - as in HIDDEN!! ;D

Scott_W
25-01-07, 08:40 AM
Maybe I'm just lucky, but the standard headlights on all the recent bikes I've owned (VFR800, TDM900, Varadero, Fazer 1000) have all been excellent.

The 6v one on my Triumph Tiger Cub isn't up to much though! ::)

£120 sounds a bit steep for headlamp bulbs, but I guess if they make THAT much difference, then perhaps it's worth it. :o

Believe me, it does make that much of a difference. I'm not normally one to get all that excited/rave about things, but the HID kit really does change the amount of light you have in front of you and ultimately, what you can see. So IMO, £120 is well worth it, and if it means I can see more of the road then it suits me. At the end of the day, it's my choice, my money, and for me, it's justifiable!

goggomobil300
27-01-07, 06:57 PM
Fair play Scott. :)

igbell
31-01-07, 02:48 PM
I must abmit, all the other bikes I have had have been shoddy lights, but my VFR800 has great lights, so i dont think I will spend that money when i can save it and spend it on fuel messing about the place instead.

alanTDM
31-01-07, 05:30 PM
check out this site they do MC bulbs Extreme white over 100+w main but only draws 55-60w
http://www.piaa.co.uk/ plus they do others aswell they are expensive though around £30

Rich_aka_Baldspeed
08-02-07, 03:41 PM
God if Scott can fit em anyone can lol

Scott_W
08-02-07, 03:55 PM
Rich you cheeky tart! :D

Rich_aka_Baldspeed
08-02-07, 03:56 PM
yup was nice busy on the day?

Scott_W
08-02-07, 04:02 PM
She helped! ;D

GIXER_PAUL
08-02-07, 04:29 PM
when i turned up to his the other day there was scott, Nice and Rob all on the drive trying to do it, however scott was sat on the bike trying looking busy ;)

Rich_aka_Baldspeed
08-02-07, 04:32 PM
hahaha he didnt tell us that, so he had a top quality Audi spanner man on the job while he was sat on the bike making brrrrrrr brrrrrrrrrrr noises like a little kid

Scott_W
08-02-07, 04:37 PM
Paul, I had to sit on the bike to make sure the alignment was fine.... no point doing it w/out my tub of lard being on the bike.

As for Rob, he only popped over for the last 5 mins and then gets all the glory! ;D

Rich_aka_Baldspeed
08-02-07, 04:59 PM
yeh yeh wotever!

lazygit!

Scott_W
08-02-07, 05:06 PM
I'll let Nice tell you the truth on Saturday! :P

Rich_aka_Baldspeed
09-02-07, 08:46 AM
Yeh I guess after you have paid her off lol