PDA

View Full Version : Castle Combe Track Days

kitkat
28-01-07, 04:55 PM
Seeing as it is just up the road has anyone tried it ? Any views on how well run the days are?

Cheers

Dave

gixerjonny
28-01-07, 05:15 PM
The only info i have is they are very strict on noise ...

Dont no how loud your beast is?

have heard that some standard cans have failed , and that means no refund :'(

The track looks alright from what i.ve seen .

Do you do many track days ?

ONFIRE
28-01-07, 05:23 PM
Yep thats what I have heard very strict on noise levels, went to watch a m8 couple years ago had standard gixer 600 & failed noise check lost 25% of his pennies. >:( >:( That is why the organisers do offer a noise check prior to you arrival... :o Not sure if it still applies but if you join Fowlers Club there is a touch of dsicount. 8-)

Just took a look at their site
http://www.castlecombecircuit.co.uk/bike_trackdays.htm

In our experience the following machines may not pass our strict limits:-

Suzuki GSXR600 – 2006 model
GSXR 750 K6 & K7
Yamaha R6 – 2006 model

GixerBoy
28-01-07, 05:29 PM
Wouldn't touch Castle Coombe with a barge pole mate!

timetrial
28-01-07, 05:30 PM
great circuit but never tried it

and there's NO way on earth my bike would get through noise testing!!!

goggomobil300
28-01-07, 05:41 PM
One of the sales guys at Bristol Kawasaki is an instructor at Castle Coombe. I had an informal chat with him a few weeks ago and he seemed OK.

I've never done a track day, but quite fancy a go.

Perhaps they'll offer a noise check before you book?

It's only up the road. :-?

BB
28-01-07, 05:42 PM
Wouldn't touch Castle Coombe with a barge pole mate!

Care to elaborate?

BB

GixerBoy
28-01-07, 05:50 PM
Well,apart from the major noise issue.......The track is very abrasive and bumpy.......And the instructors don't like being passed! :o (So i've been told!)

kitkat
28-01-07, 06:59 PM
The only info i have is they are very strict on noise ...

Dont no how loud your beast is?

have heard that some standard cans have failed , and that means no refund :'(

The track looks alright from what i.ve seen .

Do you do many track days ?

I guess the standard cans will be fine (saving pennies for Remus or Laser aftermarket ones later this year ;) )

Never done a trackday, just want to get a bit nearer the limits of the bike under safe-ish conditions ;D

Dave

GixerBoy
28-01-07, 07:10 PM
Dave,why don't you do a trackday at Silverstone? Its big,open,wide,ideal for a first timer! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
I will be organising a WB trackday there sometime over the summer,depends on when you want to get out there.... :)

ONFIRE
28-01-07, 07:57 PM
Dave,why don't you do a trackday at Silverstone? Its big,open,wide,ideal for a first timer! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
I will be organising a WB trackday there sometime over the summer,depends on when you want to get out there.... :)

I agree great day at Silvy ..last August was a Fantastic turn out for Wiltshire Bikers, my first time great facilities incredible track. Brilliant experience + weekend event for me thats a plus...for sure! You'll not be disappointed :) :) ;)

Plenty of advice if required from Track Day God's :o :o;)
8-)

Grampy
28-01-07, 08:07 PM
I’ve done Castle Combe to say its crap is a under statement .
The sound check is very strict seen new bikes with standard exhaust sent home. If your on a twin your on a fifty-fifty if your going to get through.
The track is usually ran by Fowlers and you get only ten mins on track and I think there’s about six groups.
My opinion is save your money for another track or go there if its with a different company.

Gav
28-01-07, 08:20 PM
Iv done Castle Combe a couple of times and i wouldnt go there again by choice...
The track is ****e with a capitol S
Bumpy is not the word...its just not dedigned for bikes.
IMHO there is not enough run off, the facilitys are crap, and the noise limit thing is a killer(my 98 R1 with standard can only just got through at 104db)

On an up one wishing to give it a go can pop down prior to booking and have your bike noise tested so you will know if it will pass or fail....oh and they wont take bribes to let it through either....lol

BB
28-01-07, 08:29 PM
Iv done Castle Combe a couple of times and i wouldnt go there again by choice...
The track is ****e with a capitol S
Bumpy is not the word...its just not dedigned for bikes.
IMHO there is not enough run off, the facilitys are crap, and the noise limit thing is a killer(my 98 R1 with standard can only just got through at 104db)

On an up one wishing to give it a go can pop down prior to booking and have your bike noise tested so you will know if it will pass or fail....oh and they wont take bribes to let it through either....lol

You tried then Gav? ;D

BB

Gav
28-01-07, 08:46 PM
I may have done......
But the guy was having non of it and evan mentioned that it was a legal offence to bride a track offical.....
So i laughed it off and said i was joking...

desmojen
29-01-07, 12:39 PM
Castle Combe isn't an ideal track for a first timer. It's very fast, very bumpy - not a great combo.
The noise test is very strict, you don't get much track time (about half what you'd get on a 'standard' track day) and on top of that it's expensive.

Mallory is only 90 miles away, costs around £99 and is an easier track to deal with for learners. Silverstone is even closer, but is also more expensive, even than Combe!

Jen.

GixerBoy
29-01-07, 05:33 PM
Well said Jen........Oh,will you be taking Mr.Vermeulen's advice this year?? ;)

goggomobil300
31-01-07, 09:29 PM
Spoke to the guy at Bristol Kawasaki earlier this week who confirmed that Castle Coombe will happily noise test your bike for free if you just turn up.

So you can get this done before you spend any money.

Shaun
02-02-07, 11:19 AM

I did my first track day at CC last year, but then I didn't know any better. Since then I've done a few others and the difference is huge. CC is bumpy, but now I realise it is also bit boring because the track is mainly made up of right hand bends.

I really want to do Silverstone this year, so if you do organise a Track day, I would love to come along.

gixerjonny
02-02-07, 01:08 PM

I did my first track day at CC last year, but then I didn't know any better. Since then I've done a few others and the difference is huge. CC is bumpy, but now I realise it is also bit boring because the track is mainly made up of right hand bends.

I really want to do Silverstone this year, so if you do organise a Track day, I would love to come along.

sort it out gixerboy ;)

GixerBoy
02-02-07, 02:30 PM
Well,looking thru' all the trackday operators calenders,there seems to be NO weekends available at Silverstone this summer which is strange cus' there were loads last year!

Bearing in mind that a group of you are attending the Cal Superbike School in May,I thought a trackday just after would be appropriate.........
The 4th of June looks like a good date as its just over 2 weeks after CSS so you should still be able to remember what you've learn't......Hopefully! ;)

It's on a Monday,the GP circuit and altho' the price isn't available just yet,I expect it will be around £150.

Silverstone is an ideal track for beginners as its wide with mostly sweeping corners and also has excellent pit/garage facilities.....Plus of course,its local for most of you!

If anyone is interested then please post and we'll go from there.

Thanks

GB.

Gav
02-02-07, 05:31 PM
With regarg to what GB said in the above post....this would be a great idea for those of you doing the CSS as it would be a good time to put what you learn into action and to get some more time on track,
And im sure with a bit of planning there can be enough of us there to have a good ration of novice/experianced riders to be able to offer advice and pointers to help you inprove evan more.

Steev
02-02-07, 09:51 PM
I'll be up for a Monday,

I wouldn't mind a go at the full GP circuit this time though.

Steev.

GixerBoy
02-02-07, 10:05 PM
Read the post again Steev you muppet! ::) :o ;D ;)

gixerjonny
02-02-07, 10:17 PM
what do they teach in the schools in sweaty land ;D ;D :P ;)

GixerBoy
02-02-07, 10:21 PM
[quote author=Gav link=1170003354/15#21 date=1170437467]With regarg to what GB said in the above post....this would be a great idea for those of you doing the CSS as it would be a good time to put what you learn into action and to get some more time on track,
And im sure with a bit of planning there can be enough of us there to have a good ration of novice/experianced riders to be able to offer advice and pointers to help you inprove evan more.[/quot

Well said Gav! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Steev
02-02-07, 10:27 PM
Alright alright, Jeeeez.

I'll be there.

"what do they teach in the schools in sweaty land"

Dont trust dodgy english geezers called jonny

gixerjonny
02-02-07, 10:31 PM
Alright alright, Jeeeez.

I'll be there.

"what do they teach in the schools in sweaty land"

Dont trust dodgy english geezers called jonny

:-* :-* ;D ;)

Gav
03-02-07, 05:29 PM
On another note, i would be more than happy to go out in the novice group for the morning to ride with the guys who are doing the CSS...
Its one thing to have some pointers but to have someone there to follow then lead and show the right lines/braking points is probably the best way to improve riding ability.

Shaun
03-02-07, 10:29 PM
Following a track day veteran would certaily suit me. I feel confident that that I could run at back to middle of inters, but would def benefit from some experienced fedback.

(I Really want to cut my plaster Off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Dave
09-02-07, 06:38 PM
Just spotted this thread - any of you guys doing Silverstone GP on 18th Feb? A friend and I are booked - can't wait :)