PDA

View Full Version : The best 600 for 2 grand

Rayzer
13-02-07, 06:53 PM
Ok guys and girls what I;d like is for some input please.
I'm currently riding an fzr400(my first big bike) and once the 2007 season is over and we're creeping into oct/nov I should have saved at least 2k towards a newer bike.
What would be the best buy for my money and why.It must be a fully faired sports bike so no naked bandits and the such please.

SkyJawa
13-02-07, 06:57 PM
Thundercat?

Rayzer
13-02-07, 07:00 PM
Thundercat?

Pro's and cons please m8.
I know of one and its rusty manifolds but the more info I can get on each bike the better really

Dabz
13-02-07, 07:04 PM
if you do a search there's a lot of thundercat help on WB - I was desperate for a tcat back in the summer but struggled to find one. Opted for the TT600 instead which is much the same but slightly more sports focussed

SkyJawa
13-02-07, 07:07 PM
Thundercat?

Pro's and cons please m8.
I know of one and its rusty manifolds but the more info I can get on each bike the better really

I've not owned one mate so can't help there, just like them, and they were always known as a pretty darn good bike. ScottW had one, sure he could shed some light on it :)

Other choice is if you can find the rare R7, awesome bike. Was a round up in Bike in the last few months if you have any copies :)

Rayzer
13-02-07, 07:10 PM
if you do a search there's a lot of thundercat help on WB - I was desperate for a tcat back in the summer but struggled to find one. Opted for the TT600 instead which is much the same but slightly more sports focussed

Thanks for that Dabz,any other 600's you'd reccommend ???

R1chie
13-02-07, 08:07 PM
Other choice is if you can find the rare R7, awesome bike. Was a round up in Bike in the last few months if you have any copies :)

for 2 grand??? are you still in a "just bought a new bike" haze or summit neil? ;D

Rayzer...........plenty of choice out there mate. is it going to be 2 grand not including your 400 or with it though?

obviously you've got the older models of the CBR6's, ZX6r's, GSXR6 (probably scraping into the K1 bracket, but mostly SRAD models), TT600's and maybe some R6's

still fully faired but thought of as more comfortable types of bikes nowadays are the thundercats and zzr600's.

you need to seach around, find what you like, find out as much about it as you can (like common failures etc), test ride the fooker and then find one which suits your price. might be lucky and find one straightaway, but on the other hand it might take a couple of months until the 'one' pops up for sale.

Rayzer
13-02-07, 08:15 PM

for 2 grand??? are you still in a "just bought a new bike" haze or summit neil? ;D

Rayzer...........plenty of choice out there mate. is it going to be 2 grand not including your 400 or with it though?

obviously you've got the older models of the CBR6's, ZX6r's, GSXR6 (probably scraping into the K1 bracket, but mostly SRAD models), TT600's and maybe some R6's

still fully faired but thought of as more comfortable types of bikes nowadays are the thundercats and zzr600's.

you need to seach around, find what you like, find out as much about it as you can (like common failures etc), test ride the fooker and then find one which suits your price. might be lucky and find one straightaway, but on the other hand it might take a couple of months until the 'one' pops up for sale.

Haven't decided wether to keep the fzr or not yet,it does seem as though the thundercat is a good allrounder so may keep my eyes open for one.

jj
13-02-07, 08:35 PM
if u can find an r7 for that price it would be amazing..... the thundercat is a good bit of kit very underated

mike
13-02-07, 08:42 PM
Not a 600, but.........I know of a guy through work who needs some cash so he's selling his 93/L reg ZXR750L for £1200, and he said he'd put a year's T&T on it. Just a thought, not a 600 but not far off. I've not seen it, but he says it's good nick. Black & purple, 22k miles. Let me know if you have any interest in it & I can get his phone no for you. He's down near Shaftsbury. Good luck with whatever you get :)

Rayzer
13-02-07, 08:49 PM
Not a 600, but.........I know of a guy through work who needs some cash so he's selling his 93/L reg ZXR750L for £1200, and he said he'd put a year's T&T on it. Just a thought, not a 600 but not far off. I've not seen it, but he says it's good nick. Black & purple, 22k miles. Let me know if you have any interest in it & I can get his phone no for you. He's down near Shaftsbury. Good luck with whatever you get :)

cheers for the offer m8,but not looking to buy untill the end of 2007,ready for the 2008 season.

mike
13-02-07, 09:40 PM
No worries, that's along wait though!

koopsy
13-02-07, 10:20 PM
Hi Rayzer,

I owned a black thundercat a few years ago. Really nice bike. Took it to Road n Track for a dyno run: 100bhp with no mods apart from raising needles one notch to remove low throttle snatch (too weak). Only probs were 1) suffered from carb icing when temperature was around 3C or less, especially if damp air. 2) personally I found that riding position put a lot of weight on my wrists so not very comfy if riding at low speeds for any length of time.

Heres a pic:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o122/MrKoopsy/ThundercatMarch04002.jpg

Cheers, Koops

Rayzer
13-02-07, 10:33 PM
Now that looks very nice, especially in black.
you've all given me food thought particarly where the thundercat is concerned.
Thanks guys

FJ_Biker
13-02-07, 10:56 PM
My view

Just keep an open mind; you will know when you see the right bike, all bikes have faults. Ask yourself what you want from the bike if its lots of long distance work or two up riding go for comfort, if it’s a toy for the weekend go for a sportier model. Well that’s my view

Happy hunting

PS. I bet you’ll have your new bike before the end of the year ;)

Taff

Rayzer
13-02-07, 11:37 PM
PS. I bet you’ll have your new bike before the end of the year

Taff

LOL,,,One can live in hope m8,but her indoors wants her new dog first(Douge De Bordouxe).

Scott_W
14-02-07, 08:42 AM
Hi Rayzer,

I owned a black thundercat a few years ago. Really nice bike. Took it to Road n Track for a dyno run: 100bhp with no mods apart from raising needles one notch to remove low throttle snatch (too weak). Only probs were 1) suffered from carb icing when temperature was around 3C or less, especially if damp air. 2) personally I found that riding position put a lot of weight on my wrists so not very comfy if riding at low speeds for any length of time.

Cheers, Koops

Spot on with the carb icing! Many a time when I was commuting down to Southampton I would suffer from this!

As for the riding position, I'm 6ft 3 and I never had any problems with it.

Rayzer
14-02-07, 08:58 AM
Hi Rayzer,

Cheers, Koops

Spot on with the carb icing! Many a time when I was commuting down to Southampton I would suffer from this!

As for the riding position, I'm 6ft 3 and I never had any problems with it.

Thanks for the replies guys,just one thing,could you explain to me exactly what occurs when your carbs start icing and is there a cure for it

Scott_W
14-02-07, 09:12 AM
You basically lose power and the bike seems like it just wants a good clear out of crap. I believe there are some ways to cure it/reduce the effect, but it does depend on the bike you go for. Some people talk about running your bike on Super Unleaded, others talk about adding Silkolene Pro FST.

pedalingfool
14-02-07, 11:49 AM
Got a mate that will be selling a CBR600RR on an 04 plate mid summer, it will have 30k miles on it by then as he actually uses his bike! :) I believe he has been offered 2500 for it to trade in,,, I will let you all know when he decideds to trade as i'm sure someone will tear something off for it!!! p.s. he rides it like a torpedo,,,, fast in a straight line but rather more sedate through the anything turning sharper than the apex being on the horizon!

Mac
15-02-07, 10:49 AM
Meant to say I picked up Ride magazine yesterday and its got a feature about older 600's. Yet to read the magazine to see if it has any relevance...
Get down WHSmith at lunch time...lol

Rayzer
15-02-07, 11:07 AM
I dug out one of my old Ride magazines,and it has a whole feature on the Thundercat,made real interesting reading and I deffo decided to look out for one ,,go to be in black though.

Scott_W
15-02-07, 11:37 AM
Good choice if you go for the Thundercat.... black is nice, but personally I prefer the Silver/Yellow one.... of course the fact ours was this colour has nothing to do with this! ;D

R1chie
15-02-07, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the replies guys,just one thing,could you explain to me exactly what occurs when your carbs start icing and is there a cure for it

http://www.silkoleneoil.com/techtip7.htm

Rayzer
15-02-07, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the link m8 :) :)

alanTDM
18-02-07, 03:29 PM
I had a Thundercat traded it in jan 2005 for a yammy TT600re enduro its still at the dealers last time i was up there Blue2003 model if you wana know more PM me.

alanTDM
18-02-07, 03:35 PM

Thanks for the link m8 :) :)

Carb icing accures when the moister/air content freezes while it goes through the carbs jets,this causes the bike say on the thundercat to seem it is running on three cylinders.You can buy a fuel additive eg Silkolene do one and that cures it plus a few others

ONFIRE
19-02-07, 07:49 PM
R6 2001 - maybe a 2002 model should get a good one by end season for about 2k

Why? Read reviews make up your own mind...

Have ridden all jap 600's of that erra..So its a R6 IMPO

n.b. my past 4 bikes have all been Honda's :o

R1chie
20-02-07, 07:29 PM
I'm still searching for this 2 grand R7 :o ;)

Scott_W
20-02-07, 07:42 PM
;D