PDA

View Full Version : Where to go for tyres

Dabz
12-03-07, 05:50 PM
My front tyre is well out of shape so to match my new rear I need to get a front put on..ideally this weekend seeing as the weather's so nice, and so I get get it scrubbed in quickly. Gonna go for either a BT020 to match the rear or one of the new BT021s.

Where's near that sells bridgestones and does fitting? I'm in the Bradford on Avon/Trowbridge area so steve lynham's in swindon is a bit far to be bothered with :/

Dave
12-03-07, 06:15 PM
Well there's Protyre in Westbury but I always go to Micheldever Tyres in Micheldever. They're the cheapest place i've found, and do a ride in, ride out fitting service. It's sounds like a long way but it's something like the first junction off the M3 - takes me less than 40 minutes from home (A36 Wylye).

Their number is: 01962 774437

re Tyre - if the BT020 has been discontinued then try and get it cheap - after all, it's obsolete stock! Maybe do a search on the net to see if there are any deals on? Symon, my mate on the ZX6R runs BT020s and he's right off the edges on the road so they're not shabby tyres - just not particularly aggressively profiled. I REALLY rate Michelin Pilot Powers - I ran them on my ZX7R and also have them on the R1 - truly excellent tyres, brilliant profile that inspires confidence when tipping in and great grip wet or dry. Maybe something to go for when you need a whole new set. You probably don't need touring rubber like the BT020 unless you do big miles - which it sounds like isn't the case? The Pilot Powers won't last as long as the BT020s. I used to get 2k miles out of a rear on my 7R BUT it's a heavy bike, the power delivery was buggered, and I thrashed the nuts off it every time the key was turned - so I couldn't really complain! Hopefully the lighter weight and smoother power delivery of the R1 will see bigger mileages out of the tyres.

PS just checked here: http://www.fwr.co.uk/ they're generally cheap but you'll have to get them fitted. I know a place that will fit them for you but you'll have to take the loose wheel(s) over to them, and then get them balanced somewhere else.

R1chie
12-03-07, 07:03 PM
another one here for micheldever tyres

but you know this already dabz my boy don't you!

Dabz
13-03-07, 08:33 AM
certainly do, I was hoping I could avoid a trip out to micheldever hehe! The mrs's dad has a tyre thingy to fit them so I might just order one off t'interweb and get him to fit it and balance it when he has some free time.

I went for the 020s because I don't want something that's gonna flatten off too much - I tend to end up with slower riders (and have historically been one myself until recently!) so trying to avoid a tyre that's going to flatten within 1000 miles

Scott_W
13-03-07, 09:42 AM
I tend to end up with slower riders (and have historically been one myself until recently!)

Blimey, he's seen the light! :o :o :o :P ;D

BTW, just head over to Micheldever - biking is about getting out and about and enjoying the experience. Therefore, get yourself booked in, jump on your bike and have a cracking ride there and back again! ;)

Dabz
13-03-07, 11:30 AM
it's finding the time lol...i was out all last weekend so if I'm out all this weekend again the mrs won't appreciate it :P

Scott_W
13-03-07, 11:35 AM
Stick her on the back of the bike! :P

Dabz
13-03-07, 11:59 AM
she hasn't been on the back of the tt yet lol, she'll only go pillion if it's very warm, very sunny and her hair hasn't just be washed lol

Scott_W
13-03-07, 01:26 PM
In which case, it is her decision not to go out with you, and on that basis, she has no argument - the offer is there from you! ;)

mike
13-03-07, 09:13 PM
How about Wayside Garage at Etchilhampton, Devizes. Marcus is quite competitive on price, & somewhat closer than Micheldever if you're short on time.

enigma
14-03-07, 08:51 PM
Getting a set of BT021 fitted monday, just wish the weather next week was gonna be warmer!

jj
14-03-07, 09:35 PM
try jhs racing in bristol great service and advice on what to use

kwik
15-03-07, 08:53 AM
Getting a set of BT021 fitted monday, just wish the weather next week was gonna be warmer!

I thought you were going for the road attacks?

Dabz, let me know how you get on - I need to replace my 020s very soon :)