PDA

View Full Version : Any suggested routes

angryone
27-04-07, 02:11 PM
Good day all

I've been away from riding for sometime now but slowly but surely i'm getting back in the saddle ,can any body suggest any routes / roads (for a novice not a speed freak that comes later) to use so i can gain confidence. And also give the the bike a good work out

starting from Swindon

Cheers
Rob

alanTDM
27-04-07, 08:27 PM
WB do ride outs check the posts on the forum index

marcmywordz
29-04-07, 05:31 PM
Swindon-Highworth-Lechlade-Burford stop at the van for a drink then same way back.......great roads great bends and nice and safe

igbell
02-05-07, 01:10 PM
Swindon - marlbrough - hungerford - newbury- hungerford- swindon, is a nice little ride.
Also I have a 'Bike' best routes at home and it has three around the swindon route and I will post them here for you.

milo
03-05-07, 09:34 AM
chippenham - seend - worton - west lavington - bulford - salisbury plain - salisbury - b'mouth - poole..

nice mix of roads not seen any gatso's and takes about 1.5hrs on a steady run.

to return -

poole - blandford - spetisbury - shaftsbury - warminster - chippenham

if you go this way first then when you turn off at shaftsbury for spetisbury you want to take a turning left by the alfa garage, apparently it's a bit twisty ? brings you out near blandfors i believe.

angryone
03-05-07, 10:15 PM
Cheers for the bike routes

I'll try them out

Nokesy
05-05-07, 05:12 PM
Unexpectedly found very twisty road yesterday - went A354 from Salisbury, then A350 to Blandford, then A30 back to Salisbury. A350 part very good fun - twisty and beautiful views on sunny day. Whole route provides a bit of everything, however, finding A30 these days really uncomfortable - road really needs doing in some places. Enjoy!!

Silverrider
12-05-07, 08:09 PM
A419 to Cirencester > B4425 to Burford (a great biking road ;D) > A361 back to Swindon

chubster70
12-05-07, 11:12 PM
swindon to lynham then along to chippenham and out through sandylane to devizes then drop back down to swindon (nice round trip).

Beenz
13-05-07, 05:33 PM
swindon to lynham then along to chippenham and out through sandylane to devizes then drop back down to swindon (nice round trip).

As above till Chippers, then off towards Bristol on the A420 and right on the A46, take a right on the A433 to Tetbury an on to Cirencester (one Gatso IIRC) then back on th A429 to Malmesbury and on to the big M4 roundabout then taking B4122 and then back on the B4069 to Lynham, careful on the two tight right handers up the hill as the road is badly subsiding. Then back to Swindon. A good mixture of hills, fun bends and easy sweepers.

Enjoy.

igbell
13-05-07, 05:41 PM
Sorry to take a while to get back to you, here are the rotes from Bike Mag.

Trip 1
Swindon to Highworth, then to Lechlade, across to Faringdon, across to Wantage, stay on the A417 to Streatley, then the back roads to Chieveley, then up to Wantage, and use the back roads to Lambourn (or a short cut straight to Ashbury) and then across to Ashbury and back to Highworth.

Trip 2
Swindon to Lechlade, jump on the A361 and stay on it until Daventry, it is a long straight road, one of the old roman roads (watch for cops and cameras).

Trip 3
Wroughton onto the A4361 to Devizes then onto the A360 round to Amesbury and onto A302 and up to Tidworth and stay on this road to Burbage, jump on the back roads to Hungerford, and stay on the back roads back to Wroughton.

If you get through these and want more I have some more that are over towards Cheltenham and then some over towards didcot as well, so making it a little longer, I know the roads around Didcot are nice and smooth roads as I work over that way (until Wednesday) and ride to work 90% of the time.

Ride cool and ride smooth.
Ride to the midnight sun and back again..... :)

Steev
14-05-07, 11:19 PM
The copper on bike safe took me on this route and I recommend it for any level of biker. We started from devises as that’s where the bikesafe class began. The route from Swindon to devises is a good warm up run, and from there keep following the signs for Salisbury. Its quite open and flowing with a couple of nice fast sweepers along the way. Don’t go all the way to Salisbury but follow the signs for stone henge. The last part of the road coming up to stone henge consists of some long sited straights where you can really wind it on with no fear as you can see for miles.

I usually stop at the SH parking (its free for bikes) and have a coffee. Then pass the unfinished hotel (stone henge) the way you arrived and follow the signs for Marlborough. If the road up to the henge was fast and straight with long visibility, the road back through to Marlborough is more tight and twisty, therefore a good combination of biking experience. I suppose that’s why the police took me on that route as part of bike safe.

I hope this helps

Steve.

nicko600
21-05-07, 05:57 PM
Unexpectedly found very twisty road yesterday - went A354 from Salisbury, then A350 to Blandford, then A30 back to Salisbury. A350 part very good fun - twisty and beautiful views on sunny day. Whole route provides a bit of everything, however, finding A30 these days really uncomfortable - road really needs doing in some places. Enjoy!!
You could always carry on up the A350 to Warminster then follow the A36 back to Salisbury.