PDA

View Full Version : New CBT test

Ladyridercymru
11-05-07, 08:11 AM
IN October 2008 a new four part test comes into effect concerning the CBT.

Here is a quote from insidebikes.com

From October 2008 the existing Practical Motorcycle Test is being replaced by a new, much tougher two part test, which will include an eight minute test of machine control on a special test centre facility. The Driving Standards Agency invited insidebikes.com along to sample a `dummy’ test, and the reaction of both novice riders and bike instructors.

All new riders on 125cc plus sized bikes will have reach a speed of 50kph ( about 31mph ) then swerve around a cone, before immediately braking hard to simulate an emergency stop. However after some test runs in sunny Stoke-On-Trent, it appears that the DSA is having a re-think on the minimum speed for the swerve move.

Key points of the UK motorcycle test/licence procedure from October 2008;

* Pass CBT Part 1 and get a certificate.

* Eight minute machine control test off the public highway.

* Swerve and brake move at 50kph minimum, to simulate avoiding action if a car pulls out in front of the rider. This may be reviewed after initial test runs suggested it was a difficult move for novice bikers to accomplish.

* Feet-up slow riding section – taking at least 10 seconds to cover ten metres.

* Push the bike backwards around a corner and safely park it.

* Figure of eight and zig-zag through cones section.

* Emergency stop simulation.

* A dangerous piece of riding, or serious failure off-road means the on-road test will be cancelled.

A site with detailed information can be found here >> http://www.dexteritytraining.co.uk/New_Motorcycle_Test_2008.htm

I couldnt find anything on the DVLA or DSA sites concerning the new CBT ruling

Dabz
11-05-07, 12:24 PM
I do think it's good that the test becomes harder with so many biker deaths these days. Not entirely convinced about the swerve test though, I wonder how many people will end up on the floor :/

igbell
13-05-07, 06:12 PM
I also think that all road users should do a CBT of sorts, so that they all know how fagile bikers are. :)

simonthepost
16-05-07, 01:57 PM
I also think that all road users should do a CBT of sorts, so that they all know how fagile bikers are. :)
I agree totally with this all bikers are fagile!! :-X

nicko600
16-05-07, 05:55 PM
As far as I was aware the CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) will not change. Isn't it just the prictical test to gain the full license that is changing with these off-road manoevers?

furry-TLR
16-05-07, 06:36 PM
CBT remains unchanged I believe...this like you say is for getting a full licence...the idea is it gets the manvoure stuff out the way before going into the road...as thats what most bikers fail on...it saves their time and the tester's time if all those tests are done first and in a safe enviroment.

They still looking to can DAS or is that still on?

nicko600
18-05-07, 08:44 PM
Well I think this will be superceded by the 3rd European Driving Licence Directive which seems to imply up to three separate tests with a minimum of two years experience between them therefore DAS will exist Jim but not as we know it.

T
24-05-07, 07:47 AM
Hi folks!

being in the process of trying to get my DAS licence (retake my test tomorrow after the failure of my U-turn last time!), there have been a number of conversations with the instructors regarding the new bike test coming in in October of next year......

CBT will remain unchanged

Off road test to be completed before on-road test............ failure of off-road section means cancellation of on-road section

To be included in the off-road test are...........

emergency stop through a speed trap to ensure doing over 30mph

timed travel over a fixed distance to ensure going slowly enough!

Figure 8 and slalom cone course to be completed at slow speed

U-turn following a painted U with wheels staying within the painted band

(are some other manoevres too but cant remember them right now);)

The opinion seems to be that it is no bad thing in itself (keeps the bits with the potential for serious error - like dropping the bike - off the road).

The age limits are changing along with the introduction of the new test.............. DAS will will still be available but only to over 24's, and those taking a 125cc test will have to wait 4 years before an automatic upgrade to a larger bike instead of the current 2 years, so there will be no under 21's allowed on larger bikes......... sorry all you younger peeps!

I have to say I think it is a good idea, as it gives the younger riders time to develop a sense of mortality before handling something more powerful, and will make it more likely that they have more road experience when doing so. That said Im glad Im doing mine now! ;

However.......... there are some gripes about the new system as it is currently proposed ........

Off-road tests and training will only be able to be conducted at designated test centres........ the nearest one to Chippenham currently will be Gloucester! This brought forth complaints from the instructors regarding an increase in the time and cost involved in training newbies........... an hours ride just to get to the training centre for one, and competing against all the other bike schools to get a time slot at the facility for another.

Im not so impressed with this part of the change, as it will make access to training more difficult, but the intention is good, and if it makes for fewer accidents, injuries and deaths, then all for the better!

Dabz
24-05-07, 08:47 AM
I totally agree with the new plans, though 24 years old for the DAS is a bit mean - I was 23 when I did mine I think (hmm..or was I 22?) and wouldn't have wanted to ride a 125! It's really crap about the test centres, they should be equipping local test centres for it. It's just going to end up cutting down the number of new riders, but not stop those who have their licence but haven't ridden for 20 years from hopping back onto a modern thou.

furry-TLR
25-05-07, 12:36 AM
Well Sounds good to me...

I passed my CBt when I was 19...and had several offs...not due to my age though mind you...it was the bike and it's crap road performance...personally I'd change it to 250cc bikes with decent section rear tyres of at least 140 rear and 120 front.

Then when 21 I got a gsxr400...change to me at the time was amazing made the 125 feel pedistrian lol...had that for 2 years never came off once till a car cut me up on an overtake...opps

22/23 onwards had the TLR...had her comming on 3 years now...only time I've been off her is at 10mph when I hit a pothole on a bend at 1am in the morning on a dark country road.

So for me...I progressed upwards...and have ridden every day for the past 6 years...I never even considered doing DAS when I was 21 happy as can be on the 400.

Glad they starting to get real about it, I had a friend who his restricted test when he was 17...soon as he was 19 got a gsxr750k4 even though the insurance for him was £2k a year...yes seriously!...and then dropped it in front of me on Greenbridge roundabout...he used to do stupid speeds everywhere on it showing off as well...not good!

Dabz
25-05-07, 08:35 AM
mind you, even a 24 year old having just passed their DAS is gonna be dangerous on a big bike if they think they can ride like experienced riders from day one. the major trouble with biking is that it's all about speed for most people and that's very dangerous when you're a new rider

Amante_271
25-05-07, 09:16 AM
The othe question that must be asked (again!) is why the Fnerk dont they do the same/simular for car drivers???

bubbafred
25-05-07, 10:53 AM
very true, nothing stops a 17 year old jumping in a STI with over 350 BHP!!!
Similiar thing with an MOT, we have to put original cans back on, and a car and can turn up with the biggest drain pipe for an exhaust!!!
Is it the goverments way of cutting down on bikers on the road???? So much for Mr B Liar, and his back to two wheels idea a few years ago!!!

igbell
25-05-07, 01:03 PM
Yeah they are pushing bikers further out of things, it was in Bike mag the other month that they might even start making us pay in London now, Like Bubba said what ever happened to Mr B's 2 wheel campain?? >:(

FJ_Biker
25-05-07, 02:01 PM
My concern is they are making it to hard to ride a motorbike so people will not bother. This is just so wrong in my books. The government along with other countries in Europe are aiming for zero road deaths.

They manipulate all the statistics to back up there arguments. Just remember next time you see the statistic you a 7 times more likely to die on a motorbike than in a car just remember that is per vehicle owned not per mile travelled. Your are only twice as like to die on a motorbike per mile travelled.

It does wind me up all the rules and regulations coming on board in a so called free country. I will stop now before I rant on.

Amante_271
25-05-07, 08:12 PM
You can share my soap box anytime FJ!

Dabz
27-05-07, 11:59 AM
I totally agree that they should restrict car drivers to a certain engine size. My main bugbear is moped riders though - I think it's insane that a 16 year old can be let loose on the roads after a morning's CBT with no road experience at all. The fact that 99.999% of moped riders ride like tw@ts only proves my point further. They piss me off soooo much lol..make my blood boil :P specially as one almost knocked me off trying to race me a month or so ago...

marcmywordz
27-05-07, 08:39 PM
I been told they are building a brand new test centre in swindon, west swindon near sparcells, just to accommodate the new bike test. They need a much larger area to conduct the pre on the road bits..

Amante_271
28-05-07, 07:28 AM
Always room for you on the soap box too Dabz!

Dabz
28-05-07, 09:33 AM
excellent! *hops on board*