PDA

View Full Version : Bike / Trike MOT's

flyingosca
05-06-07, 04:39 PM
Hi folks, I am very new to biking, in fact that's an over statement as I have just got myself a trike which is due an MOT as soon as I have taken care of a couple of jobs on it.

I have a place in Swindon lined up to do the test for me who wanted to know the weight of the trike. Can anyone out there tell me why they need the weight? (I had it weighed on Sat and its only 320kg.) What is looked for specifically when a test is done?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

nicko600
05-06-07, 05:26 PM
Possibly it is needed to see whether to test it as PLG or motorcycle.

igbell
05-06-07, 05:30 PM
A stab in the dark here, are they a bike MOT centre or a car MOT centre??
If it is a bike centre then it could be down to the weight the arms can take, that lift the bike off of the ground.
If your trike is too heavy they might not be able to lift it off of the ground. :P

That is my idea, but it might be wrong, dont blame me if I am wrong ;)

Ladyridercymru
05-06-07, 05:34 PM
You might find this club handy for any tips on trike builds, mot's etc
http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/trikeownersandbuilders/

You have to register (free) then thats it, you can log on and post away!

Amante_271
06-06-07, 08:10 AM
You might find this club handy for any tips on trike builds, mot's etc
http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/trikeownersandbuilders/

You have to register (free) then thats it, you can log on and post away!
I just did and cant make head nor tail of it! It seems to be a shed load of spam and carp (Anagram/typo!)

All power to Dabz elbow as WB is ALOT more coherent and easier to understand/use!

Ladyridercymru
06-06-07, 09:24 AM
Amante once you have regsitered you can go to the message section whereby you can either post up a query or read the info..

Yahoo clubs are very basic.. but I just thought I would find some info on trikes for the man as WB doesnt have many trike owners ;)

flyingosca
06-06-07, 09:26 AM
Hello all,

Thanks for info on MOT's etc. The trike is only 320kg so I guess any little set of arms will get it off of the floor, although why they would need to lift it beats me! It definitly ain't a PLG!

Will check out the yahoo/trike ownersbuilders site and see what they say on the subject.

As you rightly say the WB site is super easy to understand and get around, wish all of the net was as easy.

FJ_Biker
06-06-07, 02:00 PM
Matt Swindon MAG’s - trike project.

http://swindon.mag-uk.org/html/my_trike_write_up.html

I know Matt had to get the ministry to inspect his trike before he got it MOT’d.

flyingosca
06-06-07, 02:06 PM
sound's a bit ominous !!

FJ_Biker
06-06-07, 02:16 PM
This was for registration purposes on a Q plate I believe. Will PM you his email address tonight if you wish

flyingosca
06-06-07, 02:35 PM
Cheers FJ - good of you

Amante_271
07-06-07, 08:35 AM
Amante once you have regsitered you can go to the message section whereby you can either post up a query or read the info..

Yahoo clubs are very basic.. but I just thought I would find some info on trikes for the man as WB doesnt have many trike owners ;)
Fair Comment sweetie, but Ive always had a thing for trikes and I couldnt find hardly anything on the site when I had a quick look around!

You say the Yahoo sites are basic, well it proves what a great job Dabz has done with WB as it so much easier to navigate & find what you want!

Dabz
07-06-07, 08:43 AM
thanks amante :D must admit I started off on yahoo groups many years ago but found them a bit difficult

we need to attract more trike owners to WB this year - challenge has been set!

Ladyridercymru
07-06-07, 08:57 AM
Oh I like challenges!

Bring on the trikes!

flyingosca
07-06-07, 01:39 PM
Well folks, as the only (as far as I know) Trike rider on WB I think it will be great to have a few more trike owners on the site. I have seen one or two on the Wiltshire roads but don't know if they were only passing through or live in the area.

Where are the trikers?? Come on guys & gals, its lonely here!

igbell
07-06-07, 01:42 PM
Do my neices count??
As I have 5 and they all have push trikes if that counts, mind you they cant use a PC yet as the oldest is 4 1/2 so not quite onto the PC side of things yet. ;D ;D

sean
16-06-07, 12:59 PM
the weight and the with of the wheel base can efect if its classed as bike trike or car.the mot on a "bike" needs the weight to do the brake test ,and needs to lift off the ground to check for wheel bearings and other bits of play,lower straton sevices do mot,s on bikes,trikes and cars.and both the mot testers race enduro bikes . on a nother point my old mum has a wish to have a go on the back of a trike any chance you give rides,i would cover fuel and drinks,food if this could b done?