PDA

View Full Version : Any off roaders out there??

schwee
18-06-07, 09:15 PM
My Boyfriend and I fancy taking up a new bike related hobby in the form of off-roading. We wanna do green laning/trails rides really but there is a little 'course' in keynsham, Bristol too.

I use the offroad bikes at work every now and again (Honda CRF 250's) but they are far too tall for me to go proper off roading. I don't want anything too tall as i need to be able to steady myself with my feet but all the bikes I've seen seem to have really flat competition seats (motocross???)

I reckon enduro style bikes are the way to go, and it'll have to be electric start...so where do we start, what do we look for?

Oh yeah and they've also either gotta have a road kit on them or compatible to fit one.

Any help gratefully received.

jonnydangerous
19-06-07, 01:27 PM
hello Schwee, might remember me from another wiltshire site, i off road too!.
right then, i used to have a CRF450, but its simply too manic for green laning, and i now ride a "Classic" Yamaha DT125lc Mk3. much less to insure, tax, far easier to ride and i have much more fun on it.
being serious, im faster on that than some of my mates on 400cc's as its MUCH more usable.
i would recommend any 125, 2 or 4 stroke, thats road legal yamaha Serow 225's are very good for beginners but a 125 will be lighter.
we do loads of tracks Tidworth way, and across to wilton and through to shaftsbury, they are all legal and we can cover about 80-100 miles in a day.
the summer is VERY dusty, and the winter is VERY wet/muddy.
riding skills are different than on the road, and you WILL fall off, but at much reduced speed! normally about 5 or 10mph!

so, go for a very small, light bike and some not too expensive kit, as it will get ruined, and really enjoy yourselves.when you both have bikes give me a shout and come on out with us, we have four 125's in the group and we all have a great laugh.

have fun.

Jd.

schwee
19-06-07, 03:07 PM
Hey JD, thanks for that. I do remember you, this ones better ;)

Thanks for your advice, i'll be sure to shout you to show us the way!