PDA

View Full Version : It's been a while...new bike coming!

JamesD
08-07-07, 07:38 AM
Hi All,

It's been a while since I posted on here :-[ been over on the Versys forum as I picked one of these up in March this year. Well it was not the bike for me (was not great 2 up etc), so I have decided to go the whole hog and jump onto the ZZR1400.

Was interested to know peoples opinions on this bike? I have looked around on the web and the main forum ZX-14.net and ZX14ninja.com seem all geared up for those interested in drag biking and top end :-/ thats not for me, after all it's a sports tourer and that's what I want to do....without loosing my licence.

Is it wrong to own a bike like this with effortless power without pushing it every time you go out? I rather use the torque to make quick and smooth progress.

Anyhow, sun is shining today so make the most of it ;)

Dabz
08-07-07, 10:20 AM
Riding is all about doing what you want to do if you ask me, so I'd say if you like the bike and want to make use of the torque and not push it all the way each time, then go for it!

furry-TLR
08-07-07, 03:18 PM
Bear in mind a bike like that will go through fuel/tyres and poss other consumables like they are going out of fashion....So if your doing touring it could prove very expensive.

I'm no expert on sports-tourers but I'm sure others on here can make recommendations!

JamesD
08-07-07, 04:30 PM
Yep, mid 40mpg on a run if I am lucky, much better than the carb ZZR of old...my dealer reckons on 40mpg average with 80% highway which is what I do...I can live with that.

Have heard some nightmare stories about rear tyre wear but most of the people have been draggin or smoke the tyre, it's not my scene so I would be happy with 4000 miles as per my ZX6R before, concencus is it's possible if I am good ;)

furry-TLR
08-07-07, 05:02 PM
To be honest on a powerful bike like that you'll be looking at more like 30mpg and under 3000 miles per rear tyre unless you use a harder compound type.

Don't believe anything the dealers tell you they just want your cash and will tell you what you want to hear!

JamesD
08-07-07, 05:49 PM
I appreciate your warnings, but I should be OK with this one as it's my dad's dealership ;)

It's also the reason I will swap for another Kawasaki :)

furry-TLR
08-07-07, 05:52 PM
Ahhhh that pissed on my fire then ;D LOL

Don't get me wrong think they are a good bike but if your looking at doing serious touring then cost of ownership really does play a massive part in the decision making process!

PS: Makes a change from a busa too :) LOL

JamesD
08-07-07, 06:29 PM
Very true, i think its a case of the heart ruling the head for sure ::)

furry-TLR
08-07-07, 08:48 PM
I know that feeling....over 45'000 miles on the clock now and every one of them has been a great one :)