PDA

View Full Version : Squared off tyres!

MikeTog
29-04-07, 12:08 PM
Hi All

The rear tyre on my 600 bandit is starting to look a bit squared off due to alot of long distance pillion riding lately.

Not really sure when I should do something about it as I'm not experienced enough. I'm not a knee down kind of rider!

Any advice

cheers

All

ps rode the A37 from Yeovil to Rochester on the way to Weymouth and back, fab road, shame i had the girlfriend on the back! only kidding LOL.

furry-TLR
29-04-07, 03:03 PM
So long as the tyre got the right pressure in it when cold AND the tread depth is at least 1mm nothing to worry about.

Might be worth getting dual compound tyres where the centre is a bit harder if your doing lots of long miles on it.

Cie
29-04-07, 04:43 PM
Agreed.

Although it might start to feel less smooth into corners, and over damaged or uneven road surfaces. Particularly look for grooves in the road, your tyres will jump into and out of them!

Nothing dangerous as long as you're expecting it :)

gravelrash
29-04-07, 09:04 PM
The thing is you dont realise how bad your tyres are until you replace them. They get worse bit by bit and you just get used to them. If you are happy the way it handles then stick with them until they have to be changed.

MikeTog
30-04-07, 08:14 AM
THANK YOU for your replies!

cheers

Mike

Dabz
30-04-07, 09:38 AM
Mine were both really squared off and I recently replaced both back and front - the difference is great! It turns in to corners a lot smoother and it feels a lot nicer

furry-TLR
30-04-07, 02:55 PM
The thing is you dont realise how bad your tyres are until you replace them. They get worse bit by bit and you just get used to them. If you are happy the way it handles then stick with them until they have to be changed.

That's very true my Prellei Diablo's squared off very quickly....for the first 500 miles on them they were ok but once the shine was off they were rapid till around 1000-1500 miles....after that they were twitchy up until the rear needed changing at 3000 miles.

Swapped for the BT014's now....not sure I'm going to see 3000 out the rear but the tyre wears alot more evenly thanks to the dual compound used in it so it's always a good ride, and the grip is on par with the diablo so it's all good :)

Apparently the new Avon's are meant to be good...anyone tried em?

nicko600
30-04-07, 06:01 PM
It would be nice to change tyres as they square off but the cost prohibits this. I tend to hold onto them until they really need replacing.

helmet_hole
05-08-07, 09:59 AM
Obivious but worth saying i spose... Avoid HARD acceleration

my new tyres are rapidly going square and its cuz i ride like a nob ::)

wolf
13-08-07, 10:01 AM
i started with the diablos on my gixxer 6 they squared way to quick at motorway driving but were great at the local roads,

then went to battleaxe 14's which were awesome once i got the confidence with them.
have since sold the gixxer in search of challenge and progressed to the v twin tlr which surprisingly had the diablos on again,
and yes about 2000 miles later, (tyre was not new when i got the bike) but yes square again £200 later still i have moved onto avon azaro's and being happy with the grip and confident i am back on the road.

furry-TLR
14-08-07, 08:57 PM
I've gone to micheln Pilot Road 2 dual compound (2CT) tyres...loads of grip loving them...will let you know how I get on, but lets just say virtually no chicken strips on the rear and I've done less than 200 miles on em)

I know elsewhere I said I'd never touch micheln with a bargepole, so having to eat my own words :-X as a friend of mine on a zx10r swears by them!

I found the BT014's were good in the wet but in the dry were a bit vaigue (Front end)...front wore too quick as well but rear lasted well

Obzy
27-10-07, 10:47 PM
have a look at Metzeler or Bridgestone sports touring tyres - you'll get a lot more milage out of them before they square off, as the rubber in the centre is harder wearing than the edges

ps: I know what you mean about Diablos, damn fine tyre - for about 500 miles :)

jj
27-10-07, 11:49 PM
have dunlop qualifiers on mine amazing tyres even better than diablo super corsas

igbell
28-10-07, 06:35 PM
I run Bridgestone BT021's and I have been riding up and down the M4 to windsor and out and about to other Hotels of ours as my car is dead as a doodoo, and they have not squared off at all at the mo and I have done at least 800 miles on them.

Sharik
29-10-07, 08:18 AM
I have used Avon Azaro and now the Storm and have been very pleased with the performance and life. I need to qualify the term "performance", I am certainly no wannabe racer; the tyres do inspire confidence in wet conditions.

Ghost
29-10-07, 07:29 PM
I got Michelin Pilot 2 and they performed perfectly both here and in Ireland during 'summer'! Like Sharik I am no wannabe racer.

Dabz
30-10-07, 09:20 PM
...well not all the time anyway ;)

jj
31-10-07, 07:04 PM
im no racer would like to fit some slightly harder tyres but dunlop qualifiers are the only ones approved for my bike at the moment

Ghost
31-10-07, 11:24 PM
...well not all the time anyway ;)

I have no idea what you mean, Dabz! :P