PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a commuter!

Ladyridercymru
18-03-08, 09:24 AM
I am thinking about getting a second bike for communting and wonder what you guys think?

I have seen the MT03 in action and must admit I do like them alot, but how is the economy side of it compared to others?

I am a stealth 5'4" (shortarse to you lot) and my little legs restrict me using something like an XT

So do you have any suggestions?

Oh and a budget.. well I am prepared to buy second hand or new but dont want to pay more than £4000 tops for one.

Dabz
18-03-08, 01:44 PM
if it was me I'd get a bandit 650 or an older bandit 600. bullet proof engines and easy to work on and maintain

igbell
18-03-08, 04:43 PM
Damn Dabx got there before me, I would have said a Bandit or a CBF or even a Hysung as my mate had one and as it is a Suzi anyway and cheaper sometimes it is just as good. :)

Ghost
18-03-08, 09:30 PM
Like Dabz & Igbell have said, if going for a commuter go for something bulletproof and easy to maintain.

Ladyridercymru
19-03-08, 06:42 PM
OK so how about economy for a bandit?
I know they are quite heavy in comparison to the RR so does this also mean the fuel consumption is greater?

Snowy
19-03-08, 10:35 PM
I have heard great things said of the Kawasaki Versys - so much so that I have been considering one as a commuter myself. Easy to maintain, good economy and enough umph for some bend swinging. You also sit high up in the seat for good views all around. Can take luggage to if needed.

Brains_SA
20-03-08, 10:23 AM
The bandit 600 I had would give a good 50mpg on the normal run to work.

FJ_Biker
21-03-08, 07:55 AM
The bandit 600 is good on fuel and simple to maintain the only downside is if you’re quite short you can struggle with legroom.

alanTDM
21-03-08, 10:18 AM
Surley it depends how far you have to commute on the bike if it involves town work and some open roads and your only traveling 10 miles why get a 600 why not a 250 cheaper on tax and insurance plus prob get 60+ mpg
You mentioned a XT there is a XT 225 Serrow got really low seat hight ,lots of women use these, and guys for trail riding,there light bikes so if you do drop it and pray you dont not much damage can be done plus there light enough to pick up.Problem is the Serow is a import but spares are easy to get and cause there so good a bike peeps hang on to them but you could be lucky. google a search for Xt 225 Serrow

Dabz
21-03-08, 10:49 AM
My old 600 bandit was great on fuel - all depends how you ride obviously but commuting is usually steady :P Agree with Alan though - if it's a shorter distance then a 250 or similar may be a better bet, and would still have the poke to overtake etc when needed