PDA

View Full Version : Biker Down - Queens Drive Swindon

Ladyridercymru
02-04-08, 02:23 PM
A bike was in collision with a van yesterday on Queens Drive Swindon at around 3pm

No other news as yet.
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/mostpopular.var.2163227.mostviewed.motorcyclist_ho spitalised_after_crash.php

Hope it isnt anyone we know.. but either way wish him/her a quick recovery.
Mandy

wingrider
02-04-08, 08:47 PM
From the photo looks like the van turned right across his/her path. Hope they are ok whatever happened.

Ladyridercymru
03-04-08, 08:27 AM
I have an update from someone whos collegue was driving home on there at the time of the incident and saw the entire thing.
Apparently the biker was racing with another one and clocking well over 90mph, way to fast and the van driver was in the centre waiting to cross when they came hurtling down the road.
The biker apparently let go of the bars moments before he slammed into the van.... my guess is take on the full body impact maybe thinking it would cause less damage and not go through the van itself like a bullet using his head.
He is in a critical condition in GWH.

:(

The other biker fled the scene and noone has his details.

igbell
03-04-08, 09:08 AM
Bloody fools, and they wonder why bikers have a bad name. >:(

FJ_Biker
03-04-08, 03:50 PM
I feel sorry for the van driver and the rider’s family.

wingrider
03-04-08, 05:23 PM
Looks like my above posting was a bit premature. Hate to say this about another motorcyclist but he deserves everything he gets.

Dabz
03-04-08, 06:32 PM
how ridiculous...serves him right at those speeds

sburv
04-04-08, 05:10 PM
I hate to say it but he isn’t going to get any sympathy from me. If he was doing those sorts of speeds and racing another bike. It’s people like this that gives us bikers a bad name.

General ‘Joe public’ car drivers will see hundreds and hundreds of sensible bikers without ever giving it a second thought. But it only takes one or two crazy fools like this to give us all a bad name and reputation.

That’s my little rant over…. Thank god its Friday huh :) :)

furry-TLR
13-04-08, 12:04 AM
Does anyone know if the biker made it?

Have to say racing anonther biker esp in an urban area...well it's pure madness regardless of the speeds involved.

There's been so many accidents along that road involving bikes/cars/lorries I'm suprised they ain't put camaras every 10 yards.

It's a 40, and to be honest I'm big enough to confess I often go quicker than that along there on the bike, but there is going a bit quicker...and outright sucide! :(

Events like that will also make police biased when they attend RTA's involving bikes as well which is not a good thing...last off I had the copper blaimed me even though several witnesses said it wasn't my fault, but he made his mind up and only took one witness statement(Was a trainee traffic cop!!!) that of a car driver who happened to be a friend of the one that cut me up...I ended up barely able to walk for 2 months, and he's got off scott free.

Anyway thats also my mini-rant over :-[

weefrenchie
13-04-08, 09:05 AM
I agree, there's a place and a time for everything and a 40 zone is clearly not the right place or time for racing - my thoughts are with the biker's family, I hope that the biker makes it and that he/she learns the lesson

furry-TLR that's awful! :(
Did you make a claim with your insurers/legal expenses insurers? Even if you don't have a LEI cover, as long as the accident wasn't your fault, there are some pretty good companies out there that will help you with your claim on the basis of a CFA (no win no fee agreement) - they can also put you in touch with companies who can provide you with a replacement hire bike (usually on credit which is then paid by the responsible driver's insurers) until yours is repaired/until you get the PAV from your insurers
In your case, it means that the accident would have been fully investigated by your solicitors and all witnesses contacted so the other driver would not have gotten away with it, regardless of what the police said at the scene (as far as I know actually, the police are not allowed to make a judgment on liability, their role is to describe the facts and take details of parties & witnesses and statements - then they can chose to prosecute one or all parties involved through criminal proceedings (i.e. for speeding) or the statements and report can be used for civil proceedings (i.e. for negligence))

...I get carried away with this ;D any questions, please let me know ;)

furry-TLR
13-04-08, 02:50 PM