PDA

View Full Version : Had an off yesterday

Ladyridercymru
24-03-08, 12:56 PM
Had a motorbike accident last night.

Turned out of a carpark inthe front of Corsham Post Office.. in a straight line and the bike high sided and flipped. was in first and doing about 20-30mph?

I landed on my chin (full face helmets really are worth wearing!) and managed to break my wrist and a few ribs in the process.
Damaged my neck and shoulder but more brusied than anything, but as a precaution I was stretchered to Bath hosiptal.
After being monitored a few hours, and checked over by the doctor I was allowed home.

My bike has suffered right hand side damage, All fairings broken or scuffed, Tank deep scratch, mirror, pegs and cables gone. Engine casing damaged. A few other bits as well, but havent had a chance to look at it in daylight yet.
I have spent the morning looking on ebay and bike breakers. The parts are hard to come by as there are so few of them being such a new bike, and what parts I have found are not cheap. Total about £2000 secondhand.

So I have today submitted it to the insurers.

Bikes can be replaced, I was very lucky I was wearing full kit (even though that is now in several pieces where they cut it off me!).
My helmet might have only been a Nitro but for £50 that saved my life. It has damage to the chin area where I landed on it! BEst £50 I think I have ever spent.

One thing though.. I was going to get crash bungs put on it, but the damage would have been no different with them on.. in fact its possible it would have been worse.

So please be safe out there. the roads are not brilliant at the moment. Cold, damp and even a tad icy in places.

Amante_271
24-03-08, 01:31 PM
****! Glad you ok (ish!) As said before, anything I/we can do to help, let us know!

Get well soon! :-*

Bonnielass
24-03-08, 01:41 PM
So sorry to hear of your accident, glad you didn't damage yourself too badly although I do know that broken bones, especially ribs are extremely painful.

Its amazing how much damage is done to a bike even at low speed, when I came off mine, the insurers were going to write my bike off, although they were going to replace loads of things that didn't need replacing including the front forks because, the chap who picked it up for me is a roofer and he got bitchemen (can't spell that) on them. Also the exhuast and it didn't even fall on that side. Just a warning!!

Hope you're feeling better soon.

sburv
24-03-08, 03:11 PM
Really sorry to hear about your accident. My one last week was bad enough but got away lightly in comparison.

I hope your feeling better and back on that bike soon. If I can do anything to help just give me a shout.

Keep smiling and get well soon.

jj
24-03-08, 04:32 PM
hope u feel better soon and your bike ready when your fit,if its not your more than welcome to take mine for a spin to get u back into the swing of things.....

hotdog
24-03-08, 04:37 PM
Really glad to hear you're OK. Like you say the bike can be mended and fortunately so can you by the sound of it. Feel sorry for you for all the hassle this'll give you now. Hope your insurers act fairly and promptly... Happy to help any way I can.

Regards,

bobf279
24-03-08, 04:49 PM
sorry to hear about yr off Mandy, hope you get well soon and as you say bikes can and I'm sure will be replaced even though there is a lot of hassle sorting it all out

Dabz
24-03-08, 04:55 PM
sorry to hear about this, hope you're on the mend and the insurance claim goes through quickly!

Snowy
24-03-08, 06:34 PM
Sorry to hear about your off Mandy - get well soon.

gravelrash
24-03-08, 07:28 PM
Ruddy 'ell girl. Get your neck looked at by an osteopath just to make sure. Hope you're not hurting too much. :( All the very best

Ade

mike
24-03-08, 07:31 PM
Get well soon, sorry to hear of your off. As already said, bike is just a bike, getting yourself better is the priority!

Ghost
24-03-08, 08:49 PM
Sorry to hear about your off. GWS!

igbell
25-03-08, 08:55 AM
Sorry to hear about your little crash, I hope you are feeling better.
Give us a shout if you need a hand with anything.

dee600
25-03-08, 11:01 AM
hope you and your bike get well soon. and as every one has said if you need a hand with any thing just give a shout hope to see you out and about soon

Ladyridercymru
25-03-08, 11:02 AM
Thanks everyone.. :)

I feel like I have had a herd of elephants trample my body today... every part of me aches.

I am off to get my shoulder checked out as I cant lift my right arm very high and get my noggin checked out as I feel queasy.

Thank you again for all your kind words.

schwee
26-03-08, 02:21 PM
Sorry to hear this, get well soon.

Get a couple of xrays done if you can, just to be sure. My OH was walking round with a broken neck for 5 days :O

Ladyridercymru
26-03-08, 06:30 PM
:o :o :o
That's scarey!

But thanks for the advice. I am back at the hospital tomorrow as I keep feeling sick and the pain in my shoulder hasnt eased off at all.

sburv
26-03-08, 10:19 PM
I hope all goes well for you tomorow keep smiling :)

dee600
26-03-08, 10:48 PM
good luck at the hospital hope it gets better soon :)

FJ_Biker
31-03-08, 07:12 AM
Hope you are making a good recovery and don’t miss to much of the good weather (if we get any sunny days!!!!)

igbell
31-03-08, 08:59 AM
FJ you are the 2nd stand up comic on the forum, sunny weather, well we had one on sunday (had to miss going out on the bike as it was my little ones 1st birthday party).

Ladyridercymru
02-04-08, 09:59 AM
Yup cheers FJ

Bike is in the garage being assessed (is there too many s's in that?)
I am bandageless and exercising my right wrist.. My OH is loving it!

And I am actively seeking employment!

FJ_Biker
02-04-08, 01:51 PM
Hope all goes well on the bike assessment, not sure if I seen you at the Lysley Monday, I did not say hello as your arm was not in plaster.

Ladyridercymru
03-04-08, 08:29 AM
No it isnt in plaster.. I need to work and plaster restricts movement.
I dont get sick pay!

I was the one with the red jacket on.. dont think there were many who arrived in a car! :o

FJ_Biker
03-04-08, 03:50 PM
I arrived by car, thanks to Mrs FJ for driving I was able to drink.

Ladyridercymru
17-04-08, 08:35 AM
Update on my bike

The accident was caused through a mechanical fault and is being dealt with by Honda

Quite relieved to know my 27 years of riding in all weathers without an accident hasn't been tarnished! ;)

Just wiating for the payout now, then I will decide what I should do with Honda when I see a solicitor after the report comes back from their findings.

igbell
17-04-08, 09:45 AM
Sweet that is nice to know.
Do you know what the fault was??

Dabz
17-04-08, 11:22 AM
hmm, that sounds like "cha-ching" then!

sburv
17-04-08, 12:57 PM
Feeling any better ?
Have they told you what the fault was ?

furry-TLR
17-04-08, 02:08 PM
Mechnical Fault...not the first time Hondas had that mentioned...main reason the Police stopped using them!

Triumph recently have had a recall for shocks which I expect were made in Japan, and prolly even the same factory as the Honda parts!

I've lost all faith in new Jap stuff, quality just isn't there anymore!

FJ_Biker
17-04-08, 04:43 PM
Well I hope Honda compensate you properly for providing you with a faulty bike.

Strange I thought the police bikes were recalled due to the well known and documented high speed weave the pan European riders are always telling you about, not mechanical faults?

furry-TLR
17-04-08, 06:44 PM
Strange I thought the police bikes were recalled due to the well known and documented high speed weave the pan European riders are always telling you about, not mechanical faults?

I was actually informed it was due to a critial part of the rear end comming undone on it's own...can't remember if it was the swingarm itself or the linkage.

Either way they use rock solid beemers now...good to see the euro bikes making a come back!

Snowy
17-04-08, 11:54 PM
I thought the Pan problem was very specific in that a weave was generated above 90 mph. It wasn't a mechanical failure and could be generated under certain circumstances. One of the bike mags did some testing and seemed to suggest there was a link between the weight distribution of all the heavy gear the police have to carry and the aerodynamics of the panniers.

My bike's manual states that 80mph is the maximum speed you should ride at when using panniers and use that as a disclaimer.Maybe the police should be restricted to 80mph lol.

furry-TLR
18-04-08, 12:33 AM
http://www.ridethatbike.com/ST1300/ST%20wobble.htm

If you scroll down you will find....

Then in 2003 Honda issued recall #2 in Europe, for European bikes only. This one replaced key rear suspension and engine mounting bolts and pieces... was Honda trying to save the Police market or provide a real solution?

I think the writing was on the wall by then for Honda, Police just didn't trust the bike anymore...end of story.

I expect in LadyRiders case, they might well try to buy her silence (to bury it!), last thing they need is more bad press that mechnical faults are causing injury to riders!

Ladyridercymru
18-04-08, 12:11 PM
I believe its something to do with the brake system seizing, but as yet have not had the report back.

furry-TLR
18-04-08, 12:39 PM
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/search.asp?cboStartMonth=1&cboStartYear=1980&cboEn dMonth=1&cboEndYear=2010&cboMake=HONDA%20MOTORCYCL ES&cboModel=CBR600RR-4&cboSortOrder=rec_launch_date&cboAscDesc=ASC&Page Size=10&Search=Search

Thats not listed as an offical recall for your bike either LadyRider!

If I was you I'd consider getting an inderpendent engineer to inspect the bike and do a report? (If it's only Honda that are looking at it)