PDA

View Full Version : Dont clean your tank with the road

pip1965
19-04-08, 08:46 PM
I’m not going to start an explanation with "it was his fault" as it takes two and I should have had my wits about me quicker, observation and anticipation is everything.
Pulling out an access road turning right a driver pulled off the petrol pumps directly opposite me and did not show signs of stopping at his rejoining to the main road. To avoid a right side impact I moved left then quickly back over to the right. "Bang" wakey, wakey where am I.
Anyway, broken collar bone and broken ribs.......but what about the bike..not seen it yet. Police have seen the CC-TV from garage and the car drove off. tut,tut.
The police estimate it all happened at about 20mph, more of a fall over than fall off
Here is a pic.
Beware, slow speed can kill

Embarrassing really..........

For you Amante: I was doing 180mph and I hit a hump back bridge, flew 500ft in the air,did a 360 and then managed to regain control before hitting a strawberry seller and a caravan.

furry-TLR
19-04-08, 10:01 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhh nooooooooo!

Don't Blame yourself buddy no matter how good of a rider you are sometimes you just can't predict others stupid actions!

Can't believe how much damage low speeds do to the latest bikes these days...How long will it be till it's back on the road?

pip1965
19-04-08, 10:23 PM
I’m with dreaded Bennetts, they have there own company called forth dimension who picked it up and I suppose will repair it. Annoying thing is, I just paid the bike off in Feb. Not even 3K on the clock on 10 months old I wonder how good a job they will do. No third party really involved so it should be fast, I hope.

gravelrash
20-04-08, 10:25 AM
You dont have to use the 'approved' repairer. Check it over thoroughly when it comes back. If you are not happy refuse it. I refused mine 3 times before I was happy with it. Still took another 4 hours of work to get it right tho.
Glad to hear your not hurt tho, just pride.
Ade

pip1965
20-04-08, 01:22 PM
its still going to take 4-6 weeks for the collar bone to mend, so get ready for the best weather on the year, its always like that.

igbell
20-04-08, 05:09 PM
I am sorry to hear this, shame about the bike, but as I always say the bike is mendable and is only a lump of metal.
You on the other hand have one life and are not so easy to mend if it goes really wrong.
So I am glad you are ok, just rest and take it easy and get better soon.

pip1965
20-04-08, 06:08 PM
cheers Iggy

Bonnielass
20-04-08, 07:59 PM
So sorry to hear of your "fall over". Thank goodness you weren't badly hurt but I know from experience that broken collar bone and ribs bloody hurt, so I hope you're feeling better soon. Hope the bike's better soon too. :-*

FJ_Biker
21-04-08, 07:19 AM
Hope you recover quickly, are you going to pursue the driver of the car so you can get your bike mended on his insurance?

Kevinb
21-04-08, 08:38 AM
Sorry to here about your spill.
A bike can be repaired or replaced, as long as you are ok.
The person who invents a rubberised coating for bikes will be worth a fortune.

Cheers

Kev

Ghost
21-04-08, 01:32 PM
Sorry to hear about this. As has been said good to hear you live to fight anothr day and shame about the bike but its repairable.

edgel
21-04-08, 02:38 PM
Hi,

Sorry to hear about this.

Damage doesn't look to bad but hard to tell from pic.

Cheers

Lee

weefrenchie
21-04-08, 05:20 PM
Sorry to read about your accident, I hope you get better soon and, as everyone else has said already, it's only a bike and can be replaced :)

I'm glad you came out of it as you did, it could have been worse :)

Get well soon! ;)

darrenatthesally
21-04-08, 05:31 PM
once again sorry to read about another wb having an accident. i hope all can be fixed soon oh thats the bike and you david i am sure they will do a good job in the garage cant take as long as fowlers did when they done mine a few years ago it took them three months and all they had to do was replace the side fairings so fingers crossed for you

pip1965
21-04-08, 10:02 PM
Thanks everyone, as we all know bike can be mended, but it was my baby.
I'm in the yellow stage of injury now with the big question tomorrom at 2. Operate or leave alone.
Collar bone keeps clicking away like one of those calorie counters/ step counters on your belt.

Amante_271
22-04-08, 08:52 AM
Ouch!! Really sorry to hear about your little (?) off. Have they got the B*st*rd on cctv?? Might be worth getting the Police to check it out!

Ps. Where abouts is this humped backed bridge, you know... the one with the Perol Station attached!!

Actually just out of curiosity where did it happen??

Pps. Hope you get better soon mate.

Atb Andrew

schwee
22-04-08, 09:15 AM
Get well soon

I know how it feels to have your pride and joy trashed....TWICE!!! but thats a different story and if it helps you any, your bike looks in a MUCH better state than both of mine did :-?

pip1965
22-04-08, 12:08 PM
It happend on the A338 at Downton.
I came out of a trading estate opposite the garage and turned right.
The car pulled off the pumps at the same time I pulled out.
The car did not make any attempt to slow or stop before entering the main road.
I saw he was not looking at me, or slowing down as he drove across the forecourt.
As he entered the road I took a forced right turn away from him.
As I turned back left to get in lane I think I hit loose gravel on the hatching.
The police attended the accident and have also viewed the garage CCTV.
I didn’t stop at the entrance to the main road and took a wide swing to head in the opposite direction. He didn’t stop either…………

what a nice chap

Sharik
22-04-08, 02:38 PM
I am glad you are on the road to recovery.

It beggars belief that a driver, whether the accident was his fault or not, can just drive away from somone lying injured in the road.

Sharik
22-04-08, 02:39 PM
I am glad you are on the road to recovery.

It beggars belief that a driver, whether the accident was his fault or not, can just drive away from somone lying injured in the road.

darrenatthesally
22-04-08, 04:50 PM
good luck on what you decide looks painful

FJ_Biker
24-04-08, 07:30 AM
How’s the Collar Bone?

Hunar
24-04-08, 03:45 PM
I totaly understand your point Sharik, it beggars belief that someone can leave someone lying there. It makes you wonder about the state of someones mind where they are worried about their own license more than a victims life. I chased a hit and run driver, who was speeding and totalled a guys golf, spun him out and nearly took me off my bike, i got a good look at his face and got the car plate and description and handed it to the police, they caught the guy, and it turns out the guy didn't have a license and the car wasn't taxed, mot'd or insured. He even tried to take me out on my bike when he realised i was chasing him. There are some sick people out there, it serves as a reminder no matter how safe and good we are as a rider, there is always some w***er who has zero respect for other people lives.

Maybe a suitable punishment would be to lock these people in a room with their victims and/or their families for 20 mins, and see how they like to be left as a victim instead. Perhaps a punishment like that will be more of a deterant.

ok rant over!

i hope that your shoulder and bike are soon 100% again, and that this guy is caught and they throw the book at him.

wingrider
24-04-08, 05:23 PM
Hi Pip_David. Hope that you are soon on the road to recovery. As has already been stated metal and plastic can be replaced, flesh and bone can't. Hunar. A suitable punishment for anyone like this is the business end of a 12 bore. Sorry if that sounds a bit blunt but I have zero tolerance for anyone leaving the site of an accident. That is selfishness of the worst sort. >:(

Amante_271
24-04-08, 06:13 PM
12 bored IS what they get some times when they go to court! 12 bored jury members who never take the smelly bikers side!! >:(

Soap box time again Im affraid!!

Kevinb
25-04-08, 08:46 AM
I prefer a good old fashioned way.
Hung, drawn and quartered.
Why does the word 'FREEDOM' suddenly come to mind

Cheers

Kev

samills
29-04-08, 03:47 PM
I would not worry! I was hit from behind at 20mph during my test!!!! Once I'd finished shouting, I bet the guy wishes he'd driven off too!! ;)

igbell
29-04-08, 04:46 PM
Bummer, so what happened with the rest of the test??

weefrenchie
29-04-08, 05:09 PM
Totally agree with the zero tolerance there! :(

Sammy that sounds nasty! On the day of your test as well?? Must have been a shock :o

Good thing it didn't put you off riding :)

samills
30-04-08, 09:12 AM
Test was abandoned!! Got my money back and am current increasing his insurance via my solicitor!! took and passed my test 2 weeks later. Not good when you turn up and the examiner knows your name!! ;)

igbell
30-04-08, 09:16 AM
sounds like fun......NOT
Hey I spent 90% of my time on the test sat behind a rubbish truck stuck in a one way street... ;D ;D
Still at least you passed and have a bike now and are up and running

Amante_271
01-05-08, 11:10 PM
Hey I spent 90% of my time on the test sat behind a rubbish truck stuck in a one way street... ;D ;D

That explains SOOOOOOoooooo much!!!!!! ;)

igbell
02-05-08, 03:01 PM
Ouch you bitch

Amante_271
03-05-08, 09:53 PM
Or B*tch to you and me! >:( You person of dubvious parentage!!!!