PDA

View Full Version : George Whites Swindon... Do you rate them ?

nickw
02-05-08, 04:24 PM
Following the open day they had the other day, I was quite keen on VFR they had for sale. A silver one, 51 plate etc. Anyway they gave me a p/x price for my current bike which is a '97 cbr 600 in vgc. I left it at that to think about it as you do.

Anyway, phoned them up this morning to arrange a test ride as I said I was quite keen on it, only to be told I would have to wait a week for them to prepare it AND I will have to pay 25 quid to ride it :(

I am sorry, but if a customer was going to spend 4k on a bike surely they would pull there finger out a bit and do something about it. I get the feeling they are not interested !

I don't have much experience in dealing with m/c dealers. Is this normal. Incidently, I bought my CBR from Honda of Bournemouth whom could not have been more helpfull. They even delivered the bike to me for free !

Hunar
02-05-08, 04:58 PM
I can beat that! I went to looking for a used bike, and wandered into budget bikes. I saw a couple of bikes I was interested in, and was offered a test ride, however before I was allowed to take the bike out, they wanted me to pay the FULL price of the bike 'just in case you ride off on it sir' even though they had my current bike parked in front of their shop, and I offered to leave them the keys! Needless to say I didn't take the offer of a test ride.

Hunar
02-05-08, 05:01 PM
by the way was that a £25 deposit, or just £25 to ride a bike around for a bit, and would that £25 be refunded or taken off the price you haggled them down too if you had bought the bike?

igbell
02-05-08, 05:12 PM
Well I have got to say they have changed since I got My VFR from them then, They said that I could take the one I wanted out if I waited a day and they would get it ready for me, or I could take a Brand spanking new one out, so I took them up on the offer and took both of them out.....Hee Hee.

I didnt have to pay anything bar the fuel, and just signed a doc to say if I droped or crashed them I would have to pay the full price.

Maybe moving to the new building they have got to recoop the costs.

Others than that that is all the deallings I have had with them

furry-TLR
02-05-08, 10:49 PM
Since they gone "big time" and moved into the new showroom, they have got full of themselves.

I've never brought a bike from them, only use em for parts and never had a problem there :)

nickw
03-05-08, 08:35 PM
I can understand them charging a small fee for a test ride, I don't actually mind that. Its just waiting a week for a test ride !

Just out of interest....

Was looking on autotrader friday afternoon, saw another VFR for sale. Phoned up the dealer near Nuneaton ( Alf england motorcycles) at 5pm enquiring about it. They has unfortunately sold it the day before ! But they did have another one. I told them it was out of my price range but they still offered me the chance of riding it. It took them no time to get it prepared and I went up today and went out on it. Very impressed with their enthusiasm and very friendly service. Bike was very nice indeed :) No sales patter, pressure of any kind was put on me, just good old friendly service. And I got some coffee too !!

I will definately consider going their again to try out something else. They have been trading since 1946, and it showed ;D

Has an awesome ride up the Fosse way too !!

Thanks for your comments guys :)

Hunar
03-05-08, 09:28 PM
do they have a web site, it sounds like the kind of dealership that I woul dbe intersted in doing business with should i need to replace or change my bike. I defiantely prefer the sound of them to how george whites seems to have turned out, and budget bikes with their pay in full before the test ride.

Amante_271
03-05-08, 09:57 PM
Sounds like they could teach a few of the local boys a thing or to!! :)

Hunar
03-05-08, 10:19 PM
Sounds like they could teach a few of the local boys a thing or to!! :)

yeah with a baseball bat hopefully! £25 for a test ride, on a second hand bike, I can take a brand new porchse out for free! Oxford harley davidson last time i spoke to them where happy to let me ride out on a 2008 model road king with 0 deposit.

Amante_271
03-05-08, 10:25 PM
Lucky git!! I'd struggle with a FS1E!!! Hmmmm! Those were the days!!! Pink tinted glasses appear on my hooter!!!!! Hmmmmmmmmmm!

Hunar
03-05-08, 10:26 PM
Pink tinted glasses appear on my hooter!!!!! Hmmmmmmmmmm!

Sounds like a serious medical condition to me, might be worth checking it out with the doctor!

Amante_271
03-05-08, 10:32 PM
Cheers for the tip but it could be due to the end of the 2nd bottle of wine and a Totally "medicinional" cigarette! And before ANY ONE gets on my case I HAVE HARLEY STREET "recomendation!"

Honest!!

PM me for FULL detailsd! Trust me its true!

Silverrider
04-05-08, 03:59 PM
No, I don't rate George Whites. When I first started riding a few years ago I was looking for a Varadero. I phoned George Whites and asked if they had one. They didn't so I asked if there might be one coming into stock that I could test ride. The salesman said he would check and phone me back. He never did :(
So, I phoned Hammond's in Cirencester. They didn't have one either but they offered to get one in so I could have a test ride :)
Although I never did buy the Varadero off them, they impresseed me so much with their attitude that I bought a Fazer 600 off them a few months later.

Once dealerships become too big they lose the 'personal touch'.
If i'm spending £thousands I expect to the dealer to go the extra mile to get my custom.

nickw
04-05-08, 09:45 PM
do they have a web site, it sounds like the kind of dealership that I woul dbe intersted in doing business with should i need to replace or change my bike. I defiantely prefer the sound of them to how george whites seems to have turned out, and budget bikes with their pay in full before the test ride.

Yes, here it is,

http://www.alfenglandmotorcycles.co.uk/

Budget bikes is George Whites too, I beleive. Thats where they sell their 'older' p/x bikes. So no shocks there then !

I feel like writing to the M.D explaining my dissappointment and won't be going there again etc etc. Be interesting to see what kind of a reply I get....... If any ;)

Amante_271
05-05-08, 06:57 AM
Budget bikes is George Whites too, I beleive. Thats where they sell their 'older' p/x bikes. So no shocks there then !

No shocks!!! :o Wonder what the handlings like then!!

sburv
05-05-08, 07:20 PM
I bought my bike from there and get alot of my kit from there and can't say I've really ever had a problem. Apart from them not stocking size 12 boots!! >:(

Dabz
05-05-08, 09:18 PM
they seemed to be closed today though...no answer on the phones :( was gonna pop over

Ghost
06-05-08, 10:32 PM
George Whites are the bike equivalent of Tesco or similar. It’s a supermarket and you get supermarket after sales service or even supermarket sales service in some instances!

IMHO Tesco have a better service record!

Kevinb
07-05-08, 08:56 AM
I bought new from Pheonix in Trowbridge. Small local dealer, great service, no deposits and still give discounts on stuff (They even gave my daughter discount before Christmas on my Chrimbo present when she mentioned the 'big bearded chap' on the MT-01)
I've also found bikes on e-bay (never bought through though) as I've always managed to view and buy before the listing ends. I viewed a VFR800 on Sunday with my nephew and his dad and he bought it. Not bad for a small bike, good gearbox, luggage and only 8.5k on the clock

Cheers

Kev

Dabz
07-05-08, 08:59 AM
Pheonix in trowbridge are always very helpful!

Sharik
07-05-08, 10:24 AM
The rot seemed to set in when George White relinquished control and (I assume) retired.

Ghost
07-05-08, 06:44 PM
As Kevinb & Dabz said, Phoenix in Trowbridge really helpful & friendly. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Recommended

schwee
14-05-08, 09:53 AM
Well last year I bought two new bikes from GW within 2 months of each other....this was only because we had a friend who was working their and wanted him to get commission. He also helped get a good px price on my old J1 zx6.

I have vowed never to buy a bike from them again, because we received such a ****e service. Said friend has now left (good for him).

Considering the amount of money we spent!