PDA

View Full Version : MZ Factory to close

alanTDM
15-06-08, 11:48 AM
The MZ plant that has made motorcycles in the eastern German state of Saxony since 1922 is to close at the end of the year after its Malaysian backers pull the plug on losses

Amante_271
15-06-08, 08:16 PM
:o :o BASTA*DS!!

BB
15-06-08, 10:31 PM
The end of an era? :( Or is there someone else likely to take them over?

BB

Sue600
15-06-08, 10:44 PM
They are having problems finding a buyer, been keeping a close eye on this being an MZ owner. Looks like it could be really hard to get parts for a while during the usual chaos that ensues. Thankfully mine isnt too bad for parts having lots of compitable parts off other bikes.

It's such sad news though. One of the oldest bike manufacturers in Germany will be no longer. I really feel for the owners of the classic MZ's, they really will struggle getting parts. Could be our only factory will be in Asia.... could be a long delivery time for anything ordered :(

I wont be giving up on mine.... going through the extensive parts list and stocking up on anything thats hard to come by or MZ specific... and hoarding them for the future. :D

hotdog
15-06-08, 11:11 PM
According to the German press the German government has stepped in to assist with the sale. They are prepared to right off all debts for a purchaser and so there's hope yet. However, from our visit there earlier this year, it's obvious they need massive investment. Currently they don't have any R&D and without this there are no new bikes on the drawing board. It'll probably end up as one of those "sold for a quid" deals but the new owner will need to invest millions.

The German government has said they will support the company until the end of the year... so there is a little hope yet.

Regards,

Ghost
16-06-08, 07:54 AM
That would be a real shame if they closed. Despite being the butt of much humour they are great little bikes and I have done quite a few miles on the one's I've had over the years.