PDA

View Full Version : advice on getting through your test!!

KP
13-06-08, 02:53 PM
has anyone got any advice on the best place to go to learn to ride and get through your test?? and bare in mind this is not for me lol... but my gf, she is only five feet ish :-/ , but she is really keen to get on with this, so any advice you have will be welcomed :),

ps she wants tubz bike as thinks she will fit that 1 lmao ;)

Dabz
13-06-08, 02:56 PM
I know it's impossible, but the best thing is to relax and enjoy the ride...she'll be more fluid then if she's not worrying about who's behind her. If she makes a mistake don't panic, carry on as if it hadn't happened as sometimes the examiners will overlook one small mistake

BB
13-06-08, 07:55 PM
Is this to pass her test or to learn to ride from scratch?

Where are you based? Able motorcycle training based in Trowbridge are very good - I think they taught Dabz and I did some advanced training with them early last year. Would recommend them - if you are local I will dig out their contact details.

BB

Dabz
13-06-08, 08:13 PM
Yup Able got me from a complete novice ("how do you change gear?") to getting through my test :)

Sue600
13-06-08, 08:41 PM
Phoenix in Chippenham is also brilliant.

My examiner chatted to me after the test, said its more about whether they feel you are safe to be let loose - aswell as doing the technical stuff ok. The girl who did hers with me was really shaky (she dropped the bike on a regular basis) but only just held it together on the test, loads of faults but still passed.

It's more about your battle with nerves... rode mine like I'd already failed and treated it like a practice for the next one. Passed fine. Relax, enjoy, they arent out to fail you. They can cope with a little wobble or two as long as you are safe and still in control.

As shes a little on the short side, would recommend ringing around, chatting to them and even going to sit on the bike they intend to train her on, before making a choice. Alot of it is down to personality, she will need someone to push her and get over any nerves, but not feel bullied.

Sue

Tubz
13-06-08, 10:05 PM
I would also recommend Phoenix...

As me & your Gf are the same height, They had a good choice of bikes to make me feel comfortable enough to get my feet down. Plus they are a great bunch. Is she indending on doing a DAS thingy??

As for getting the same bike as me... well thats abit like going out and realising your wearing the same dress as another girl in a club. haha but I would recommend my lil ninja to your gf.

Hunar
13-06-08, 11:15 PM
I can only agree with what Sue has already said, relax! They are looking for a confident rider, don't worry about a mistake to much, as long as you keep good control, which you know you can do already, after all you are going to take your test, so you KNOW you can handle the bike!

RELAX! its the main thing, enjoy the ride, they are looking to pass you, they like to see confident riding, I passed my test even though I made a mistake on my turn in the road, which he could have failed me on, but as he said as I rode so well the rest of the time, he was prepared to overlook it as just nerves.

RELAX, you CAN do it!

Good luck!

Bonnielass
18-06-08, 09:08 AM
If you live near Trowbridge then I can definately recommend Able Motorcycle Training, I had never riden before (been pillion millions of times), and he got me through, he was extremely patient!!

Kevinb
19-06-08, 12:57 PM
Able are very good. Got my wife through her test a couple of years back. Just keep checking your mirrors on your test

r1rebel
19-06-08, 04:01 PM
i recommend moto-vation in lyneham, got me and 3 of my mates through the test first time. he talks plain and simple !! he is always busy so i would give him a phone. mosy places wont take you until you have taken your hazard perception and paper test first though!

igbell
20-06-08, 01:52 PM
I used Abbey Riders in Swindon and had no worries with them, very good I thought.

sburv
21-06-08, 11:10 AM
I would say that no amount of training can compensate for simply getting some good bike miles under your belt.

Tubz bike is a Ninja 250 which can be ridden on a restricted licence as it is under 33bhp.

I would suggest doing your CBT and getting a Honda cg125. Get out there and get some real experience. Once your confident book a test on the DSA website, use your own bike which you are now confident riding. If you pass you will gain a restricted license so you will have to ride a bike <33 bhp for two years after which your free to ride whatever you like.

bobf279
23-06-08, 08:59 PM
I used Able's cbt to test from scratch 2 years ago no probs, he lives in Westbury and worked out of Frome, have they moved to Trowbridge now?

BB
23-06-08, 10:36 PM
I used Able's cbt to test from scratch 2 years ago no probs, he lives in Westbury and worked out of Frome, have they moved to Trowbridge now?

Yes, I did some advanced training with them early last year when they were based in Frome and we abandoned one day due to bad weather (extremely high winds) and when we rescheduled they had moved to Trowbridge

BB

Hunar
24-06-08, 12:45 AM
I used Abbey Riders in Swindon and had no worries with them, very good I thought.

I used Abbey as well, can highly recomend them, down to earth, fun and passed first time.

igbell
25-06-08, 05:05 PM
The other thing I would say is that when you do the computer skills part, dont go happy clicking on the observation part as that will not work.

Also a tip from from something I got highlighted on was when you come to a t junction and you have parked cars either side do all of your checks and then move forward to the edge of the cars stop and do all your checks again, as this is seen as the edge of the junction.

When it comes to the u-turn take it steady slip the clutch and watch where you are going to and not the front wheel or where you are going, eye the other side of the road and keep your eyes locked on that.

Sue600
25-06-08, 05:45 PM
For the theory side... really advise practising the CD's... will get you used to clicking when they want you too, not when you think you should (there's abit of a difference as I found out!) ;) You'll find out what crazy clicking does too LOL. Did about 6 hours on the questions, some get repeated alot... was so lucky when all the ones that I was getting bored answering were the ones on my test hehe ;D

Snowy
25-06-08, 10:22 PM
No advice from me since all I had to do was a figure of 8 around a few roads in Reading and not knock the examiner over when he jumped into the road for an emergency stop. Actually I lie - one piece of advice is don't panic if you make a mistake just carry on and forget it.

igbell
26-06-08, 05:15 PM
Oh and one other thing, dont forget your Saftey Check over the shoulder for everything

Ghost
26-06-08, 11:09 PM
Sounds like it's all been said ^^^^
I would recommend Able in Trowbridge for training