PDA

View Full Version : Bike Insurance

Iceman
02-07-08, 12:32 PM
Ive insured my bike(CBR600F4) for £112 through Bennetts TPFT with no NCD, only had bike a few weeks. The AA quoted me £150 and some firms £250 for the same policy. I really want Comprehensive and thought Id ask around for a better deal on a new policy such as myself. Ive also tried A-plan insurance brokers but Bennetts seem to offer the best deal. Anyone agree with these figures or can I do better?

Davey
02-07-08, 12:42 PM
Try MCE insurance that's who I'm with and they have been very competative

Dabz
02-07-08, 12:51 PM
I always get the cheapest quotes through www.insurance2000.co.uk - fully comp is well over double tpft though so I'm still TPFT unfortunately!

igbell
02-07-08, 12:58 PM
I am with direct choice and pay £85 TPFT.
I always found Bennetts to be on the pricey side myself.

ONFIRE
02-07-08, 01:06 PM
ZX10 -R Fully Comp (Incl legal) only £141-02 :) :)
I am with Direct Choice (NIG)
£350 Excess

Think I'll get a R6 probably only £50 8-)

Kevinb
02-07-08, 01:25 PM
Hello Iceman

I have been using www.aquote.co.uk
I'm a Grandad like you and got the MT-01 fully comp for about £220 (age can sometimes be a wonderful thing)

Hunar
02-07-08, 04:15 PM
fully comp with 1 years NCD and i think its £250 excess is £240 on my FJ1200 with carol nash, got full european cover included, as well as all the legal stuff, and also european and UK breakdown recovery as well, and also pillion insurance.

schwee
02-07-08, 04:16 PM
Shop around as many as you can. Then play the best two quotes you have against each other.

Different company every year for me. This year I'm with Roadsure (now called premium choice or riders choice), last year it was express...

Sue600
02-07-08, 06:57 PM
Agree there schwee, always shop around and play them off against each other, surprising what they will keep knocking off to get a sale. Have one bike with roadsure, and another with Bennetts.... think it depends on personal circumstances and bike - they all seem to vary hugely. Neither company could do the other bike cheaper - so left them where they were.

Takes a while filling out online quotes, but it's worth it in the end... check out the extras they include too - some have to add on things like legal cover which could be included in the price with others.

Iceman
02-07-08, 07:32 PM
Wow! bit of a minefield there. Thanks for all your replies"What a great site!". I'll check out online using the brokers you've all mentioned.

Bikermouse
02-07-08, 09:22 PM
Bennetts may be good for your first year but when they send your renewal notice the following year best you take a deep breath. Was prewarned by a friend on another forum and low and behold the OH's renewal notice arrived yesterday having been increased by just short of £120! Are we likely to renew with them? I don't bleedin think so.

Try www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk - they shop around and give you a good choice too.

sburv
02-07-08, 10:10 PM
I'm with Swinton as they was the cheapest for me, and give great service in the event of an accident. :)

That said on price I always get nailed to the floor anyway. (23, newly passed,ZX6R, ect....) :o

£112!??! try that x10 and you will be somwhere close. >:( >:( >:(

F.B.
02-07-08, 10:53 PM
Have to agree that prices seem to change from year to year and it is definitely best to get as many quotes as you can.

Getting your insurance on-line can be a fair bit cheaper. eBike have been cheapest for us for the last 2 years.

BoatingBiker
03-07-08, 07:07 PM
Whilst i'm in my 50's insurance on a 3 year old Bonnie and a 27 year old Yamaha came in at £147 with Footman James. Bennetts wouldn't touch the Bonnie cause I have the loud exhausts fitted (nearly took them off!) e-bike were well priced and their on-line form very extensive questions but I like to talk to someone if things go wrong so I stayed with Footman James.

Beware a number of Companies are now hotting up on modifications and if you have a claim and then they find out they claim your Insurance is null & Void- read in motorcycle press, not sure which source as it was a few month back.

Snowy
03-07-08, 09:32 PM
I'm with Bennetts - 89 Squid Fully Comp with 150 excess. It's all dependant on you, the bike and where you live and will vary simply because of the way the insurance companies do their sums. Bennetts always put my premium at renewal, I then go on-line to get a cheaper quote, phone up Bennets and so far they have dropped their quote in milliseconds.

Vince
04-07-08, 11:55 AM
Insurance is like most things, you get what you pay for.

I was advised some time ago that insurers who offer cheaper premiums do so because they try harder not to pay out and have poorer customer service facilities.
Sometimes it's better to go with a recomended insurer and (and I do hate to say this) pay a little more.
You need to compare policies, see what is offered etc.

Iceman
04-07-08, 12:25 PM
Vince,I think all insurance companies try to avoid paying out if they can! >:(