PDA

View Full Version : What is the best all rounder bike?

Flexyjerkov
11-07-08, 11:57 AM
I know BIKE did a article a while back saying how the GSXR750 was the best all rounder bike compared to the VFR800 V-TEC which to me is utter b****x

What is everyone else's opinion on the best all rounder bike?

I'd mark it on: acceleration/comfort/looks/handling/storage/purpose.

For me out of the 3 bikes I've had it has to be the trusty VFR750fv in blue (the fastest colour) ;D

Dabz
11-07-08, 12:15 PM
I haven't ridden enough different bikes to guess, but I know the GSX-R750 is always called a perfect all-rounder. The Triumpg street triple is meant to be an awesome all rounder too

Kevinb
11-07-08, 01:04 PM
I think something like a GSX1400 (fast enough, comfortable, you can load it up with luggage) I took my friend Richard's out and it was very smooth (engine/gearbox). The only thing lacking is a fairing, so less to break if you get knocked off it or it falls over.
Maybe even a Triumph sprint, faired bandit or fazer

Cheers

Kev

Flexyjerkov
11-07-08, 01:07 PM
but to be a perfect all rounder isn't that supposed to mean perfect for everyone too... as I know that being 6ft 2'' its not exactly a bike for tall people or touring in that matter. :)

I think something like a GSX1400 (fast enough, comfortable, you can load it up with luggage) I took my friend Richard's out and it was very smooth (engine/gearbox). The only thing lacking is a fairing, so less to break if you get knocked off it or it falls over.
Maybe even a Triumph sprint, faired bandit or fazer

Cheers

Kev

The sprint would do well as a all rounder I feel. not sure about a fazer though.

Dabz
11-07-08, 01:17 PM
the sprint st is nice! bandit 1200, the pre-fuel injection one, is nice and pretty bullet proof. thirsty on the fuel though so maybe that makes it imperfect?

igbell
11-07-08, 01:56 PM
See now I was saying the VFR800fi I have was the best by far, then I had a go on the ST1050 and thought, Mmm it is faster comfy'er and has a better fuel consumption (so the brouchers say), but then alot of mags say things like the GS1150, or GS1200 and now the GS800 are good all rounders.

Flexyjerkov
11-07-08, 02:06 PM
but igbell would you really want to ride around on a Bavarian tractor? *cough* I mean a GS

igbell
11-07-08, 03:23 PM
No of course not, thats why I have a wicked VFR800 in go faster red, kitted ready for a long journey

Flexyjerkov
11-07-08, 03:31 PM
it'll never be as fast as blue ;)

Kevinb
11-07-08, 04:03 PM
I have a Japanese Tractor (MT-01)
Is it good for touring - No
Is it comfortable - Yes on the front (a bugger if you are on the back)
Is it fast - Top end no (about 130mph) Acceleration Oh yes
Is it economical - No, need your own fuel tanker. Push it and you won't even get 100 miles out of a tank.
Is it fun - YES ;D (and it's not even red or blue)

sburv
12-07-08, 09:11 PM
Got to be a GS.

I have one on my xmas list

alanTDM
12-07-08, 11:28 PM
Sorry guys/gals i win this fair and square!

Yamaha TDM 850Mk2

touring good,two up and full luggage with swivel out bungee hooks.
comfort good, about 7" travel on front and rear suspension, got fairing plenty of room even for 6ft+ guys
touring fuel 220 miles on 17ltrs of petrol +3ltrs in reserve.local 198mpg- 900tdm 60+mpg
engine torquey good mid range power, 8 thou red line
top speed 130.
handling not quite sportsbike
can fit semi off road tyres for gravel tracks if i want to get into that again.
Fun Fun Fun!!! ;D
http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1213462997

check out my signature below

Sue600
13-07-08, 07:30 AM
Must admit, having ridden the TDM900 for a day (loan bike from George Whites... just happened to take all day to do a 10 min job, wasnt complaining though) Loved it, did everything I needed. Is in the top 5 bikes I'm looking at for future purchase. Had a whole day of comfortable, effortless riding, handles extremely well and can still give that grin factor.

Kevinb
13-07-08, 11:03 AM
Sorry, not my choice.
The first thing that makes an all rounder must be the looks and the TDM doesn't do it for me.

alanTDM
13-07-08, 12:35 PM
I have a Japanese Tractor (MT-01)
Is it good for touring - No
Is it comfortable - Yes on the front (a bugger if you are on the back)
Is it fast - Top end no (about 130mph) Acceleration Oh yes
Is it economical - No, need your own fuel tanker. Push it and you won't even get 100 miles out of a tank.
Is it fun - YES ;D (and it's not even red or blue)

I would of thought if you push it the petrol would last for ever ;D LOL ;)

FJ_Biker
13-07-08, 08:01 PM
For me it might have to be something like an Enfield. For the simple reason there is nothing complicated on them

http://www.sn14.co.uk/India/ind_n364.jpg

Iceman
14-07-08, 02:07 PM
This is a bit subjective mate as everyone is going to defend their bike and its all so personal anyway.Do you want a tourer,a racer or a low slung cruiser?Each has its merits. When I bought my bike,a CBR600F4 it was because all the reviews rated it as the best all round 600 on the market with Hondas' legendary build quality and engines.It can be beaten on "lean angles" by a GSXR and just about outgunned by a Yamaha but overall it was rated as the best street 600 class supersports bike! Now If we move up to 750 and 1000 classes you're gonna add loads more torque but not necesseraly better handling. I got a mate with a Triumph Rocket III 2,300cc! Not my bike and totaly impractical but he loves it. As you can see from the replies everyone is offering different opinions so maybe if you can be a bit more specific you may get a more conclusive reply! regard!

alanTDM
14-07-08, 05:05 PM
I know BIKE did a article a while back saying how the GSXR750 was the best all rounder bike compared to the VFR800 V-TEC which to me is utter b****x

What is everyone else's opinion on the best all rounder bike?

I'd mark it on: acceleration/comfort/looks/handling/storage/purpose.

He has asked for a opinion on the best all rounder but peeps have taken into account there own bikes aswell .
A bike that does everything well like touring ,petrol consumption etc and comfort surley is a all rounder just cause a bike does 35mpg and 160mph isnt really a bike to go touring on plus prob end up with wrist ache and back ache with enough room for one person and all you can get on is a tank bag and your glad to get off the thing after 100miles cause your ass aches aswell,
But everyone to there own though!

BB
14-07-08, 07:27 PM
As Alan said, everyone has a different idea of the ideal bike and each to their own. Its what makes us individuals after all. I ride a 2006 Duke and a 1949 AJS along with a couple of others inbetween.

You wouldn't call any of them tourers but I've toured on them all.
You may not call any of them comfortable but they fit me - or is it I fit them? :P

Ask 100 people and expect 100 different answers. :o

If you are looking to buy something for yourself just keep sitting on stuff & riding as many as you can until you get on something and say 'yup, this I like!' [smiley=cool.gif]

BB

Davey
15-07-08, 08:28 AM
There is no 1 ideall bike as everyone wants different things from a bike and have different styles - personally i wouldn't enjoy going to the shops on a TDM and similar bikes same as goldwing and pan euros. I've travelled euorpe on a FZR1000 and a GSXR1000 both with no problems would i do it again prob not.

Would it be easier to say whats not the best all rounder ...i'll start

Proper Supermoto - razor blade seat and 60 mile fuel range and not the most reliable

Vince
15-07-08, 04:16 PM
I have to say I had a VR750FT for 12 years and 90,000 miles, it was still doing everything I wanted it to do when I went and bought my current bike.
TBH for the moment my current choice is the correct replacement for the VFR It's my perfect allrounder for the time being.
\v/

Hunar
16-07-08, 12:51 AM
the perfect bike?

Hmmmmmmm lets see

I think a 1991 FJ1200 3CV in black, with bubbled and peeling paintwork. It is a great bike, does everything I need it to do, and does it well. I enjoy riding it daily in sun and rain, and I have had the chance to go places and meet people I would never have met, I have been camping with it, and plan to do it again soon, Its good for touring, its good for ride outs, its good 2 up, it pulls like a train, I can get 2 weeks of shopping on it (with the Mrs on the back), I can now go and visit all my friends and family more often, and even after 4 or 5 months of getting it, it still makes me grin when I ride it.

OK so it might not be everyones choice, but this thread is just asking for everyones personal choice. She might be old, she might be dirty, she might be a bit on the tatty side, and she is certainly very heavy, but its deffinately the perfect all rounder for me!

Oh and one other good point! its not a fecking PEUGEOT!

Amante_271
16-07-08, 08:57 AM
OK so it might not be everyones choice, but this thread is just asking for everyones personal choice. She might be old, she might be dirty, she might be a bit on the tatty side, and she is certainly very heavy, but its deffinately the perfect all rounder for me!
Thats NO way to talk about your Mrs!!!!