PDA

View Full Version : Honda Goldwing

igbell
04-08-08, 01:07 PM
I went to the Car show at the Excel in London on Friday, and went to the outdoor Honda show.

Now they were showing off different bikes and cars, and one guy brought out the Gold wing, now this is a standard bike and he got it up on the back wheel, now I would have thought the thing was too dam heavy to do it, I know the engine could do it with the torque and power but the weight I would have thought would of kept it down.

So whos got a gold wing I can have a go on ???? ;D ;D

Iceman
04-08-08, 01:40 PM
Dont underestimate the torque of the Goldwing!

hotdog
04-08-08, 03:00 PM
As an ex GL1800 Goldwing owner I can tell you those bikes are something very special. You can laugh and sneer at them all you like (as most do) but the fact is in a capable riders hands prepare to be very surprised, no matter what you're riding.

They somehow defy the laws of physics. They handle very precisely and there is no more sure footed bike I've ever ridden. The torque is mind boggling... you have NO idea what torque is on a bike until you've ridden one. But, they do have downsides...

Get one slightly off balance at slow speed and you'll find out what weight is lol. Try to walk one backwards on the tiniest incline and you'll realise why it has reverse but that's only any good for shallow inclines. Don't ride one in hot weather! That fairing shields you from everything including lovely cool refreshing air.

For me the biggest downside was they're just too damned easy to ride although they require more anticipation and more physical manhandling... when on the move they just go where you point them with little to no effort. For me, this divorced me from the thrill of the ride. So for comfort and long distance touring you can't beat it, but if you want some involvement and want to feel like you conquered the mountain, not the bike, then don't get one lol.

Oh, they wheelie very easily ;D

Regards,