PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a helmet!

Dabz
07-08-08, 02:58 PM
I'm in the market for a new helmet - looking to spend I guess about £200-£300ish. I have an AGV at the mo which is quite comfy but noisy, and getting a bit loose now after years of use. I also have a cheaper Takatchi (paid about £120 3 years ago) which is nice and quiet but heavy.

Any recommendations? The AGV S4 looks quite nice but can't find many decent comparison reviews :/

R1chie
07-08-08, 03:11 PM
Best bet mate, although not the specific answer you are looking for, is to go and try as many helmets on as possible. See what fits your swede and then decide from there.

I don't think you can go wrong with AGV. There's always Suomy, Shoei, Shark and if you can stretch it...Arai. I'm sure all of them have models in your price bracket.

If you have a 'Suomy head' then I think GW's have some good deals on them at the mo.

Also, if it isn't an urgent buy, find which lid you like and buy online. It'll save you heaps.

igbell
07-08-08, 03:19 PM
Dabz...
Now what you might want to consider is if you want to listen to the new SHARP bike helmet test.
Some say it is the best thing since ncap for cars, yet others say it is a pile of poo, so make your own mind up but soon all british helmets will have to have the SHARP sticker on them.
Now this months BIKE mag is talking about it and the jury is still out with them at the mo, but it did show that a £60 helmet got 5 stars and a £400 Arai got 3 stars.
You might want to do some reading up first before buying a new skid lid sir.

Mar1k
07-08-08, 03:20 PM
I CAN GET THESE AT A GOOD PRICE http://www.oxprod.com/index.php?pg=3&action=dept&id=10&pid=0&p=

BUT LIKE ninja_richie SAID I WOULD TRY AS MANY AS POS.

Dabz
07-08-08, 03:25 PM
where's the best place to go try on loads then? GWs or Fowlers? May have to pop over on Saturday! I'm looking to buy in the next 2 weeks so can order online to save some pennies...also some places do a free tinted visor when you buy online which would save money!

I saw that sharp rating in Ride - very interesting and controvercial!

bigyam
07-08-08, 03:27 PM
If you like the fit and style roof make good quality and very quiet helmets, been very impressed with mine anyway i had an agv before and couldnt believe the difference in the noise.As said here earlier some makes fit yer head and some dont.

R1chie
07-08-08, 04:12 PM
I think Fowlers have a bigger collection than GW's.

Not sure.

I was at GW's the other night, tried on a few arai's, found my size, went home and ordered the lid online saving me £125.

:)

Dabz
07-08-08, 04:18 PM
may have to shoot over to fowlups on Saturday then!

ONFIRE
07-08-08, 07:47 PM
Arai or Shoei both great lids ::)

Arai for me 8-)

igbell
07-08-08, 08:55 PM
Also see if you can get the info from Ride, every year they do a test on lids and what they test on are sounds fit misting up and such likes, thats why I went for my Shoei in my price bracket

BB
07-08-08, 09:49 PM
I've got an Arai. Suits my head :o

As the guys said try loads before you buy. Doesn't matter how many stars it scores if it don't fit or is not comfy!

BB