PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a bike

Bonnielass
13-08-08, 08:13 PM
As some of you know I dropped my SV650 a few weeks ago and broke my wrist, well the plasters off now but I won't be able to ride my bike for a while as I still haven't got much movement in it yet.

But, the reason for this post is that I have decided that maybe the bike is a, too heavy or b, too high, although I can put my feet on the ground. I intend to go to Fowlers and sit on a few bikes but has anyone got any ideas on which bike would be a good one to try, I do have my mind on a Bonneville, heavier but lower or Street Triple which I think maybe a bit lighter.

I'd be glad of some help!

Dabz
13-08-08, 08:26 PM
The street triple has had consistently great reviews since it's launch - gorgeous bike too!

ONFIRE
13-08-08, 08:30 PM
SV 650 is ideal very light at 168 kg & low to the ground.

Then again Street Triple only weighs in at 167kg & same size seat height 800mm worth a look.

If you want something with real low seat height try the 770mm seat height of a Ducati Monster 696 weighing in at only 161 kg :o

http://www.ducatiaylesbury.co.uk/2008/696.htm
8-)

Good Luck!
8-)

Bonnielass
13-08-08, 08:41 PM
I've got to admit, I've always said I wouldn't have a Ducati Monster because it was a 'girls' bike but looking at the pictures I think I may have to have a look, I liked the look of it in white! Oh damn, am I being a 'girl'!

Dabz
13-08-08, 08:42 PM
BB has a ducati...gorgeous bike and goes very well!

Amante_271
13-08-08, 09:12 PM
You could NEVER call BB a "typical;" girlie biker .... NO offence ment! Honest!!

Rosie! Sweetie! My 4 peneth worth is look around if you find something you fancy REGARDLESS of how Macho/girly it looks, JUST go for it!!! You are you NOT some sterotype!!

R1chie
13-08-08, 09:47 PM
what kind of bike would you want?

Bonnielass
14-08-08, 09:27 AM
Well, I do like the retro look which is probably why I like the Bonneville, but really one thats easy to handle on the road and also stationary. I'm open to suggestions which is why I put the post on.

I'm not what you'd call little so not an Aprillia 250 or the like!

Carbonkid
14-08-08, 11:59 AM
Hi Rosie,

A freind of mine is selling a 2005 Ducati 620 Dark (Matt black).
It's immaculate. There's 4000miles on the clock, gold renthal bars and a belly pan fitted. Apart from that it's standard...
She's looking for about £3000

PM me if your interested... ;)

R1chie
14-08-08, 12:31 PM

But the SV was too big for you?

Kevinb
14-08-08, 01:27 PM
Rosie

Go for a Bonneville. It may not be light (you can fit engine bars in case you drop it)
Other option would be a Kawasaki W650 (Bonnie looks, lighter, but not British and I think only second hand now)
You can try mine out for size.

Cheers

Kev

jj
14-08-08, 05:36 PM
if u go ducati just be aware there not cheap to run but then again atleast it comes from italy

Bonnielass
14-08-08, 06:52 PM

But the SV was too big for you?

I personally don't think the SV is too big for me but I just think, because I dropped it, maybe it is. I really can't afford to have anymore breakages. maybe what I need is a crash mat so I can practice dropping the bike and stepping away from it instead of putting out my hand to save myself. ::)

Anyway, its given me food for thought, thanks everyone for your input and BB, I hope I've not offended you with what I said about a Monster being a 'girls' bike, I've changed my opinion and might well look at one , I do like it in white! 8-)

BB
14-08-08, 08:14 PM
;D Don't worry Rosie, no offence taken – I used to think the same myself years ago! The monnys are brill - go sit on one & test ride one as soon as you are fit. There are a variety of engine sizes available, that Monster Dark that Carbonkid mentioned sounds useful. If you are going to browse round Fowlers Bristol hit Riders for the monsters.

I've test ridden the Street Triple and it was really enjoyable, if I hadn't already ridden and liked the Duke I would probably have got one. Ghost has one which he thoroughly enjoys - he charges up and down to Southampton on it most days and prefers the riding position to that of the Monster's.

I used to have a 2004 Bonnie, on which I did 6000 miles in 6 months! It is heavier but the weight is low so it seems easier to handle. After I trashed it (I killed Bambi!) I got a Yam FZ1N with a lowering kit which still feels a little tall then bought the Ducati S2R monster which is slimmer & lighter. New Dukes have a different servicing regime than older ones but still not cheap so check the service intervals on whatever you buy if you go that route.

I can understand what you mean about the SV seeming too big or too heavy – once you have dropped a bike – especially if you break something – it will take a while to be confident handling the machine again.

I hate to say it, but for once I agree with Amante :o – just get out there and sit on bikes and go with what you feel right on.

Look forward to seeing you back on a bike soon [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB

Bonnielass
14-08-08, 09:08 PM
Thanks BB, that's helped a lot, especially about the confidence thing, how did you feel about getting on a bike again after the 'Bambi' incident?

I agree with you agreeing with Amante :o I have to try a few and see how they feel!

BB
14-08-08, 11:26 PM
All I wanted to do was get back out there on two wheels! It was 3 months before I could pull even a light clutch in but as soon as I could do that I got a mate to take me to a quiet trading estate and I had a gentle ramble round the block and came back grinning like a loon :D A few more gentle outings and I soon built my confidence back up.

Just take your time, go at your own pace and relax. 8-)

BB

ONFIRE
14-08-08, 11:54 PM
Kawasaki ER6F another nice little middle weight bike, appears to have a good MCN review.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Kawasaki/KAWASAKI-ER-6n-2005--current/?&R=EPI-272

I agree one needs to try before you buy :)

igbell
15-08-08, 09:12 AM
Have you thought of a small sports bike??
Like a CBR600 or such as they are light and low seat height, only thing is it might be a bit heavy on the wrist.

Hunar
15-08-08, 09:16 AM
Well done Andrew, you are finally useful!!!!!

MUHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bonnielass
15-08-08, 08:32 PM
I'm not too keen on a small sporty bike, it's not really me although I will look at a CBR600 and the Kawasaki, looks like I'm going to be testing a lot of bikes! :-/

ONFIRE
15-08-08, 08:44 PM
I'm not too keen on a small sporty bike, it's not really me although I will look at a CBR600 and the Kawasaki, looks like I'm going to be testing a lot of bikes! :-/

Rosie apologies not knowing anything about your riding skill's ..but the CBR 600 is a quick bike, then again the throttle works both way's, enjoy your test rides 8-)

Bonnielass
15-08-08, 09:05 PM
You're quite right, the throttle does work both ways, I really like the Street Triple but was told it was a hooligans bike, you don't have to ride it like a hooligan though do you?

As for my riding skill's, I've been riding for just over 2 years but breaking my wrist has knocked my confidence.

bigyam
17-08-08, 08:37 AM
Hey, rosie don't be to hasty. When your able to ride again just go out for a steady and slowspin to see how you feel and you will probably find that any doubts will disappear and you will soon be riding around enjoying it. As to weather you need to change your bike, plenty of us drop our bikes and mostly its not down to the weight of the bike but human error, most bikes cannot be saved from going down once thay are on there way. I have droppped my current bike twice and both times it was down to me, the last time i didnt kick out the sidestand all the way and as i walked off crash! down she went.But if you still feel your bike is to heavey, just go and have a good time test riding as many different bikes as you can, and if you think im talking rubbish its ok cos im good at it! ;) ;D

Bonnielass
17-08-08, 01:33 PM
I don't think you're talking rubbish, I realise dropping my bike was completely my error but I can't afford to keep doing it (I'm self employed), I'll test ride a few bikes and go from there. Thanks for the words of wisdom!