PDA

View Full Version : Drain covers

Iceman
21-08-08, 06:11 PM
We've all done it, entered a wet bend and suddenly had to swerve round a strategically placed drain cover! why oh why are most manhole covers placed stategically on bends where they are a real menace to riders? It's not just older roads,I've seen them on brand new streets in Swindon as well.What's wrong with pavements and sidings? I think it's about time that they were coated with this new non-slip coating that is being used in parts of Europe! We pay our road Tax and deserve better! I'd like to know how we stand on law suits If one slips on one. The UK does not seem to have a law in effect for such incidences. Who would we suit anyway? Gas,Electricity,Cable TV or Local Council? :( It's only when we all voice together that we get heard!

schwee
21-08-08, 06:29 PM
You only really have to avoid them if its raining though, and then you wouldn't be generally be going fast enough to have to take difficult evasive action.

Still a right pain though

Iceman
21-08-08, 06:38 PM
'Manhole covers and wet leaves'. Now there's a good combination! :P

Where I live there's a nice sweeping bend with no less than 8 covers covering both sides! Good planning that!lol

KP
21-08-08, 09:01 PM
sits on the fence here.... as i put these manholes in the roads.... they have to go in roads as they are to be adopted by the local council, and they are usually on bends as this is a change of direction, thus the pipe has to turn to, and to be adopted by the council they have to have a manhole at the point where it changes direction, but agree they are a pain, but as schwee said they are only a prob in the wet......... hope this is of any use lol........kev

Iceman
21-08-08, 09:18 PM
sits on the fence here.... as i put these manholes in the roads..

Remind me not to speak to you again! lol ;D ;D

Tubz
21-08-08, 10:38 PM
horse s**t and mud are my biggest fear... Tractors that drive 100mtrs down the road to turn into a farm and leave chunks of it all over the place.
Could u sue em if u slipped on that??

alanTDM
21-08-08, 11:20 PM
Bristol MAG got this Campaign going on manhole covers and hopefully be across uk, strange thing the UK is only Euro country to put them in the friggin roads http://bristol.mag-uk.org/campaigns.shtml

KP
22-08-08, 06:02 PM
lol iceman..... will steer clear of you from now on ;) ;D :)

ONFIRE
22-08-08, 06:15 PM
Plenty of over obstacles in the way i.e. Wildlife hit a Pheasant dumb birds ..with my CBR1000RR4 Blade yes back in 04 on the Bilbury road hurt like Fck & smashed my shoulder & the front of my faring.. as for Manhole covers look ahead Tad difficult in the dark ;D ;D ;D 8-)

igbell
22-08-08, 07:28 PM
Right why cant we be like europe and put the pipes and wires in the sides of the roads, ie in the hedge rows and kerbs??
Then when they have to dig them up they also dont make a hash of the traffic and also the road. >:(

Dabz
22-08-08, 08:44 PM
that was going to be my question - why can other countries manage it? is it some sort of legal/council ownership thing?

Iceman
22-08-08, 09:35 PM
That's interesting how Europe tucks their pipes and manholes away in the sidings and hedges! The UK are very sloppy by comparison or just don't care about us Tax paying bikers!
:( :(

suziblack
22-08-08, 10:25 PM
Having just returned from a biking holiday in France I can most definately say the UK is NOT the only country to have manhole covers - they are in France too. Admittedly not many but they do have them.

KP
23-08-08, 10:18 AM
it just isn`t possible to put main drains in footpaths or gardens, some of the drain lines i put in are 3/4 metres deep, imagine the size of the hole in the path, or front garden of the houses its running next too, i know i wouldn`t like it lol, but we do keep all the other servies ie...electric,gas,bt,water... in the footpaths now, only the mainline stuff in the roads, my thinking is in europe they have have less manholes because the council dont insist on them on every change of direction like the uk, but i know the problems they would have if they get a blockage..... god i gotta get out more often 8-)

igbell
26-08-08, 01:59 PM
Yep you have.
The only reason I know the French do this is that my father in law worked over there for some time and they laid them all down the sides, hence why nearly all roads over there have ditches or paths as this is where the pipes, elec, gas and what not are put.
Why are we so far behind everyone else.
Yanks put all of theres down the middle of all thee roads, so I have been told by a Yank in the office.

ONFIRE
27-08-08, 12:30 PM
Lynam Bank's to Corsham this morning kinda lost count over the amount of covers I slid over ::) ;D ;D. Do remember giving a couple cars a gentle reminder >:( ;D ;D ;D

FJ_Biker
27-08-08, 03:58 PM
Onfire wrote

Lynam Bank's to Corsham this morning kinda lost count over the amount of covers I slid over . Do remember giving a couple cars a gentle reminder
I will not ride this road in the wet